emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* a couple of questions about org-mime
@ 2010-04-24 20:58 Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2010-04-24 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm using org-mode from git repository at commit

,----
| commit 830e0cfe407b42060c3adc490baa7c3104589435
| Author: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
| Date:   Thu Apr 22 18:04:13 2010 +0200
`----

I have 2 questions regarding `org-mime-htmlize'.

1. How do I quote verbatim code?

   BEGIN_SRC/END_SRC or BEGIN_EXAMPLE/END_EXAMPLE do not do
   what I wanted.  They follow all the mark-up changes,
   which are not desirable.  The only way I found is using
   `=', which is not convenient for multi-line code.

2. Why all the <br />?

   With mono-spaced fonts in text/plain, line break looks
   nice.  But I don't think those line-breaks need to be
   preserved even after export to html.

Thanks for the good work though.
--
J    c/*    __o/*
X    <\     * (__

* Re: a couple of questions about org-mime
@ 2010-04-24 22:43 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-04-24 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using org-mode from git repository at commit
>
> ,----
> | commit 830e0cfe407b42060c3adc490baa7c3104589435
> | Author: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
> | Date:   Thu Apr 22 18:04:13 2010 +0200
> `----
>
> I have 2 questions regarding `org-mime-htmlize'.
>
> 1. How do I quote verbatim code?
>
>    BEGIN_SRC/END_SRC or BEGIN_EXAMPLE/END_EXAMPLE do not do
>    what I wanted.  They follow all the mark-up changes,
>    which are not desirable.  The only way I found is using
>    `=', which is not convenient for multi-line code.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  This should work exactly as does
exporting from an org-mode file, so for example exporting the following
begin/end_example block with `org-mime-htmlize' (which I've done) wraps
the results in a <pre> and does not perform any markup (not gnus does
some markup like bolding and underlining on it's own, following rules
similar to the org markup).

#+begin_example
some stuff here, *not bold*, /not italicized/, etc...

preserve
  line
  breaks
like in code
#+end_example

If you have another example which demonstrates your problem please
share.

> 2. Why all the <br />?
>
>    With mono-spaced fonts in text/plain, line break looks
>    nice.  But I don't think those line-breaks need to be
>    preserved even after export to html.

Use the following to change this behavior

  (setq org-mime-preserve-breaks nil)

Perhaps this should be the default setting.  I currently have this set
to true because quoted mail (i.e. lines starting with ">") can look very
bad with line wrapping.

> Thanks for the good work though.

Thanks -- Eric

* Re: a couple of questions about org-mime
@ 2010-04-25 22:07   ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2010-04-25 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:43:53 -0600, Eric Schulte wrote:

>> I have 2 questions regarding `org-mime-htmlize'.
>>
>> 1. How do I quote verbatim code?

[ yadda yadda yadda ... my bad ]

> If you have another example which demonstrates your problem please
> share.

I tried again and it does work.  I guess I probably did
something wrong in my first try.  Sorry for the noise.

>> 2. Why all the <br />?
>>
>> With mono-spaced fonts in text/plain, line break looks
>> nice.  But I don't think those line-breaks need to be
>> preserved even after export to html.
>>

> Use the following to change this behavior

>   (setq org-mime-preserve-breaks nil)

> Perhaps this should be the default setting.  I currently have this set
> to true because quoted mail (i.e. lines starting with ">") can look very
> bad with line wrapping.

I see the problem.  Is it possible to detect quoted mail and
enclose it between '#+begin_src' and '#+end_src'?

Xiao-Yong
--

@ 2010-04-25 22:21     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-04-25 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu> writes:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:43:53 -0600, Eric Schulte wrote:

[...]

>> Use the following to change this behavior
>
>>   (setq org-mime-preserve-breaks nil)
>
>> Perhaps this should be the default setting.  I currently have this
>> set to true because quoted mail (i.e. lines starting with ">") can
>> look very bad with line wrapping.
>
> I see the problem.  Is it possible to detect quoted mail and
> enclose it between '#+begin_src' and '#+end_src'?

My personal solution has been to only call org-mime-htmlize on active
regions, ensuring that the htmlized text is of my own making and leaving
the quoted mail as plain/text.

I'm not sure of an existing mailer-independent method of recognizing
quoted mail (especially given the variety of different ways of quoting
mail "> " "| " etc...).  It is probably possible to use mailer
(e.g. gnus, WL, etc...) specific functions to notice quoted mail,
however that could complicate the org-mime.el code substantially.

My gut feeling is that this feature may be more work to implement and
maintain than it's worth, but I could be wrong.

Thanks -- Eric