emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-ref video
@ 2015-12-22 16:10 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-12-22 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

I made a new video showing some of the new features of the org-ref that
is in Melpa:

http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/12/22/org-ref-is-on-Melpa/

These features are:

1. Drag-n-drop a PDF or url onto a bibtex file to add bibtex entries. This works when org-ref knows how to get a DOI from the PDF or url.

2. Tooltips on cite links

The video shows how to use these to make a bibtex file, and then add
citations and references in an org-file, followed by export to a pdf.

Happy holidays and New Year to everyone!

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: org-ref video
@ 2015-12-22 17:28 ` B.V. Raghav
From: B.V. Raghav @ 2015-12-22 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I had been following the thread(s) about org-ref by the words, out of
curiosity. However, this video shows how examplary the work is. Awesome
work sir.

(B.V. Raghav)

* Re: org-ref video
@ 2015-12-22 18:53   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-12-22 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: B.V. Raghav; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks!

@ 2015-12-22 22:10 ` briangpowell .
From: briangpowell . @ 2015-12-22 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Great vid, as usual; and, thanks for all you do for the Emacs+TeX+OrgMode
community.

Small note, feel free to ignore it (one and all); but, "LaTeX" is properly
pronounced: "Lay-Teck"--since its a macro language which "lays on top of
TeX"--the TeX part you pronounced correctly, which is the part that really
matters (Tau-Epsilon-Chi).

@ 2015-12-22 23:39   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-12-22 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: briangpowell .; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks!

You might add your interpretation of the pronunciation here:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/17502/what-is-the-correct-pronunciation-of-tex-and-latex
;)

John

-----------------------------------

@ 2015-12-23  3:37     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-12-23  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Thanks!
>
> You might add your interpretation of the pronunciation here: http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/17502/what-is-the-correct-pronunciation-of-tex-and-latex ;)
>
> John

The vexing issue of how to pronounce "LaTeX" has reared its ugly head
before, e.g in this thread on the comp.text.tex group ca 1999:

  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.text.tex/Robin$20Fairbairns$20rubber/comp.text.tex/Ts9l6CPcjCk/g_89W2rJsPcJ

with the entertaining subject "anyone have a source of all rubber
panties".  I would recommend that you read the whole thread but in any
case don't give up until you read Robin Fairbairns's followup to his
(Robin's) suggestion that the OP should read the FAQ.

How's that for a Christmas present?
--
Nick

* Re: org-ref video
@ 2015-12-24  2:15       ` briangpowell .
From: briangpowell . @ 2015-12-24  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I believe I read how to correctly pronounce LaTeX as Lay-Teck (and why its
important--to honor the creator of TeX's wishes+intentions, Donald Knuth)
in Leslie Lamport's book on LaTeX--in the preface.

And when you think about it, pronouncing it as "Lay" does make sense "La"
only means "the" in some romance Languages and the "L" and "A" don't stand
for anything in particular either--LA isn't an acronym--and it has no
"foreign language" meaning.  Its not "The TeX"--TeX is "The TeX"--the
lowest primal language itself, programmed in C.

As for any relationship to Latex in paint or whatever; well, that's
patently absurd.

And its important for newbies to realize especially--before even using
LaTeX--that LaTeX is a macro language and any newbie can program directly
in TeX, create their own macro language--built on top of TeX too--and/or
that they themselves can program in TeX and extend the language and embed
it into LaTeX by creating libraries, style .sty files, etc.

But I must say, of all the videos I've ever seen, I believe Dr. Kitchin has
produced the most well-pronounced and clearly spoken ones ever--not just on
Emacs, etc.  Thanks again.

Thanks Nick for the link: This reminds me of a strange and hilarious job
interview I had long ago, when LaTeX wasn't fully well-known as a
computerized typesetting packaged (used to publish more books on higher
math than any other system).

The interviewers asked what my "favorite computer software is"--well I
smiled and said "Lay-Tecks"--this conjured up smirks, giggles and a wink or
two--they thought I was into some other "favorite activities"--they
obviously thought I was into latex clothing, etc.  Not quickly realizing
it, I went on: "Oh yes, I use it a lot, I use it as much as possible--I'm
way into it; and, the whole free [soft-wear] community--I'd have to say
I've been part of the community for many years."

Obviously, people that don't know EXACTLY what you're talking about, can
lead themselves to many very strange conclusions about you.  So, such
things can be very important indeed.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 10:37 PM, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
> > Thanks!
> >
> > You might add your interpretation of the pronunciation here:
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/17502/what-is-the-correct-pronunciation-of-tex-and-latex
> ;)
> >
> > John
> >

> The vexing issue of how to pronounce "LaTeX" has reared its ugly head
> before, e.g in this thread on the comp.text.tex group ca 1999:
>

> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.text.tex/Robin$20Fairbairns$20rubber/comp.text.tex/Ts9l6CPcjCk/g_89W2rJsPcJ
>
> with the entertaining subject "anyone have a source of all rubber
> panties".  I would recommend that you read the whole thread but in any
> case don't give up until you read Robin Fairbairns's followup to his
> (Robin's) suggestion that the OP should read the FAQ.
>
> How's that for a Christmas present?
> --
> Nick

* Re: org-ref video
@ 2015-12-24  7:00   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-12-24  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: briangpowell .; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, John Kitchin

On 2015-12-22, at 23:10, briangpowell . <briangpowellms@gmail.com> wrote:

> Small note, feel free to ignore it (one and all); but, "LaTeX" is properly
> pronounced: "Lay-Teck"--since its a macro language which "lays on top of
> TeX"--the TeX part you pronounced correctly, which is the part that really
> matters (Tau-Epsilon-Chi).

My 2cents: not "teck", but "tekh" (as in Scottish "loch").  AFAIK,
"teck" is allowed, but it's not how Knuth pronounces TeX.

Merry Christmas to you all

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: org-ref video
@ 2015-12-24 14:49         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-12-24 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The TeX FAQ (http://www.tex.ac.uk/FAQ-latexpronounce.html) contradicts you:

,----
| How should I pronounce “LaTeX(2e)”?
|
| Lamport never recommended how one should pronounce LaTeX, but a lot of
| people pronounce it ‘Lay TeX’ or perhaps ‘Lah TeX’ (with TeX pronounced
| as the program itself; see the rules for TeX). It is definitely not to
| be pronounced in the same way as the rubber-tree gum (which would be
| ‘lay teks’).
|
| The LaTeX2e logo is supposed to end with an ε; nevertheless, most people
| pronounce the name as ‘LaTeX-two-ee’.
`----

Lamport's first edition is packed away so I can't check it right now,
but the second edition preface certainly does not say anything about
the pronunciation of LaTeX.

> Small note, feel free to ignore it (one and all); but, "LaTeX" is properly
> pronounced: "Lay-Teck"--since its a macro language which "lays on top of
> TeX"--the TeX part you pronounced correctly, which is the part that really
> matters (Tau-Epsilon-Chi).

and

> And when you think about it, pronouncing it as "Lay" does make sense "La" only means "the"
> in some romance Languages and the "L" and "A" don't stand for anything in particular
> either--LA isn't an acronym--and it has no "foreign language" meaning.  Its not "The
> TeX"--TeX is "The TeX"--the lowest primal language itself, programmed in C.

I believe you are overthinking this.

I have never seen any evidence for either of these statements:

o that LaTeX is pronounced Lay-Teck (or Lay-Tekh if we follow Knuth's
direction of adding moisture to the screen) because it "lays on top
of TeX" (btw, are you quoting somebody else here? or quoting yourself?)

o that there is some connection between the "La" in LaTeX and the
article in some romance languages.

Do you have any independent evidence for either of these?

Here is another interpretation which IMO is more likely than anything
you have presented (but is equally unsupported by actual evidence): the
"La" in LaTeX comes from the "La" in Lamport.

--
Nick

* Re: org-ref video
@ 2015-12-25  4:02           ` briangpowell .