emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Running org-mode (and emacs) inside the Web browser ?
@ 2017-10-27 15:49 Olivier Berger
From: Olivier Berger @ 2017-10-27 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi.

I've had this crazy idea to try and "port" emacs to the Web browser
(using some tools like [[https://browsix.org/][browsix]]), for the
purpose of running org-mode inside a browser tab.

Anyone having had the same idea yet ?

Interestingly, porting a C program to browsix currently seem to rely on
emscripten and LLVM... which might not be the best toolchain for
building Gnu Emacs... but trolls aside, I'd be curious of the
feasability.

I'm not exactly sure why that would be worth doing... but I can imagine
running that Emacs Web browser port over some kind of versioned file
system, and Emacs conf files (org + tangling, of course), so that you
have "your" org-mode at hand from anywhere using a URL and a browser
tab... of course, using a keyboard for browsing that tab would be better
than a touch screen, re keyboard shortcuts.

Any clues ?

I've already spotted http://www.ymacs.org/ which could be of use, for
the terminal interface parts.

Maybe browsix already provides everything else that's needed (LLVM,
emscripten, ...).

Another option could be some kind of use of WebAssembly port, for
browser compatibility, maybe.

Of course performance would be interesting to benchmark.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER
http://www-public.telecom-sudparis.eu/~berger_o/ - OpenPGP-Id: 2048R/5819D7E8

* Re: Running org-mode (and emacs) inside the Web browser ?
@ 2017-10-27 15:58 ` Fabrice Popineau
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2017-10-27 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Berger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

olivier.berger@telecom-sudparis.eu>:

> Hi.
>
> I've had this crazy idea to try and "port" emacs to the Web browser
> (using some tools like [[https://browsix.org/][browsix]]), for the
> purpose of running org-mode inside a browser tab.
>
> Anyone having had the same idea yet ?

Definitely, except I didn't even try to take action :)

> Interestingly, porting a C program to browsix currently seem to rely on
> emscripten and LLVM... which might not be the best toolchain for
> building Gnu Emacs... but trolls aside, I'd be curious of the
> feasability.
>
> I'm not exactly sure why that would be worth doing... but I can imagine
> running that Emacs Web browser port over some kind of versioned file
> system, and Emacs conf files (org + tangling, of course), so that you
> have "your" org-mode at hand from anywhere using a URL and a browser
> tab... of course, using a keyboard for browsing that tab would be better
> than a touch screen, re keyboard shortcuts.

I don't think that the approach to port emacs to run into the browser would
be the
one offering the best reward. Once you manage to fix all the difficult
point, you will
probably get something unbearably slow.

I think the best reward would be to build a ShareEmacs in the same vein as
ShareLaTeX
(merged with Overleaf now).
The big step would be to run emacs on a server and render emacs in the
browser.
Then to allow several users to edit concurrently the same org file.

My 0.02€ :-)

Fabrice

* Re: Running org-mode (and emacs) inside the Web browser ?
@ 2017-10-28  1:25 ` Nick Helm
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nick Helm @ 2017-10-28  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 at 17:49:53 +0200, Olivier Berger wrote:

> I've had this crazy idea to try and "port" emacs to the Web browser
> (using some tools like [[https://browsix.org/][browsix]]), for the
> purpose of running org-mode inside a browser tab.
>
> Anyone having had the same idea yet ?

A few months ago, a browser-based version of Spacemacs appeared. It's no
longer up, but this post mentions how it was done and links to the dev
repos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/66locu/try_spacemacs_directly_in_the_browser/

Might be useful.

* Re: Running org-mode (and emacs) inside the Web browser ?
@ 2017-10-28 21:06 ` Thibault Marin
From: Thibault Marin @ 2017-10-28 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Berger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi, org-mode in a browser would be great indeed.

With https://github.com/paradoxxxzero/butterfly, you can get a terminal
in the browser, then run emacs in terminal mode.  It is not ideal (some
keyboard shortcuts are intercepted by the browser), but it seems quite
interesting.

Olivier Berger writes:

> Hi.
>
> I've had this crazy idea to try and "port" emacs to the Web browser
> (using some tools like [[https://browsix.org/][browsix]]), for the
> purpose of running org-mode inside a browser tab.
>
> Anyone having had the same idea yet ?
>
> Interestingly, porting a C program to browsix currently seem to rely on
> emscripten and LLVM... which might not be the best toolchain for
> building Gnu Emacs... but trolls aside, I'd be curious of the
> feasability.
>
> I'm not exactly sure why that would be worth doing... but I can imagine
> running that Emacs Web browser port over some kind of versioned file
> system, and Emacs conf files (org + tangling, of course), so that you
> have "your" org-mode at hand from anywhere using a URL and a browser
> tab... of course, using a keyboard for browsing that tab would be better
> than a touch screen, re keyboard shortcuts.
>
> Any clues ?
>
> I've already spotted http://www.ymacs.org/ which could be of use, for
> the terminal interface parts.
>
> Maybe browsix already provides everything else that's needed (LLVM,
> emscripten, ...).
>
> Another option could be some kind of use of WebAssembly port, for
> browser compatibility, maybe.
>
> Of course performance would be interesting to benchmark.
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Best regards,

* Re: Running org-mode (and emacs) inside the Web browser ?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-28 22:02 ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2017-10-28 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Personally, I don't think running it inside a browser would be a good
thing... both for keyboard shortcuts, and also for possible issues of
non-free JS (or not-machine-readable free JS information).

However, it's good to have interoperability with other collaborative
editing tools, such as Gobby for which there is already an Emacs Lisp
package for that, and also Etherpad (although I don't know if there is a
package that allows connecting to this one).

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com

* Re: Running org-mode (and emacs) inside the Web browser ?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-29  6:25 ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2017-10-29  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 28/10/17 02:49, Olivier Berger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> <SNIP>

> I'm not exactly sure why that would be worth doing... but I can imagine
> running that Emacs Web browser port over some kind of versioned file
> system, and Emacs conf files (org + tangling, of course), so that you
> have "your" org-mode at hand from anywhere using a URL and a browser
> tab... of course, using a keyboard for browsing that tab would be better
> than a touch screen, re keyboard shortcuts.
Chromebook would be one good reason.

Cheers,
Alan

<SNIP>