emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* is LOCATION not a valid property?  org-lint complains!
@ 2023-08-01 15:57 Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2023-08-01 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I don't use org-lint very often but it is indeed an excellent tool when
an org file somehow gets corrupted in some way.  I recently had problems
adding a new entry into my "diary" file, the file that has all of my
meetings & appointments [1].

I don't know if this is something new or I simply have never used
org-lint on a file that has entries similar to those in my diary file
but, when I do, I get output like this:

: 52 low   Potentially misspelled option "LOCATION".  Consider "EXPORT_LOCATION".

Should I be using EXPORT_LOCATION?  If so, why?  That is, why does org
mode care what property I define?  Seems rather strange, to me, somehow.

I also get quite a few lines like this one:

: 60 low   Potentially malformed timestamp.  Recognized: <2021-01-29 Fri 16:00-17:00>

I have no idea what is malformed about that timestamp.  Am I missing
something obvious or very subtle?

Thank you,
eric

Footnotes:
[1] which seemed to be something going wrong in the cache but I never
     really figured out what.  I ended up cleaning my diary file
     (archiving quite old entries) and the problem disappeared.

--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.6.7-594-gf03b83 in Emacs 30.0.50

* Re: is LOCATION not a valid property?  org-lint complains!
@ 2023-08-01 16:22 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-01 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Fraga, Eric" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> I don't use org-lint very often but it is indeed an excellent tool when
> an org file somehow gets corrupted in some way.  I recently had problems
> adding a new entry into my "diary" file, the file that has all of my
> meetings & appointments [1].
>
> I don't know if this is something new or I simply have never used
> org-lint on a file that has entries similar to those in my diary file
> but, when I do, I get output like this:
>
> : 52 low   Potentially misspelled option "LOCATION".  Consider "EXPORT_LOCATION".
>
> Should I be using EXPORT_LOCATION?  If so, why?  That is, why does org
> mode care what property I define?  Seems rather strange, to me, somehow.

ox-koma-letter, which you likely use, understands EXPORT_LOCATION
property, but not LOCATION.

This is indeed false-positive in your case.

> I also get quite a few lines like this one:
>
> : 60 low   Potentially malformed timestamp.  Recognized: <2021-01-29 Fri 16:00-17:00>
>
> I have no idea what is malformed about that timestamp.  Am I missing
> something obvious or very subtle?

May you give an example of a timestamp at "60"?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: is LOCATION not a valid property?  org-lint complains!
@ 2023-08-01 16:35   ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2023-08-01 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday,  1 Aug 2023 at 16:22, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> ox-koma-letter, which you likely use, understands EXPORT_LOCATION
> property, but not LOCATION.

Ah, interesting.  Yes, I do use (infrequently) ox-koma-letter.  Whereas
all my other org related tools understand LOCATION and not
EXPORT_LOCATION.  I will ignore these (false positive) lines.

>> : 60 low   Potentially malformed timestamp.  Recognized: <2021-01-29 Fri 16:00-17:00>
>
> May you give an example of a timestamp at "60"?

  <2021-01-29 16:00-17:00>

and I now immediately see the subtle (or not so subtle) difference:
there is no day of the week specified.

I misunderstood the message from org-lint: it is telling me what it
thinks the timestamp was intended to be, not what I had actually
specified!  Maybe the output from org-lint should say "Interpreted as"
instead of "recognized"?  Or even "recognized as" would be better.

Thank you,
eric

--

@ 2023-08-02  6:34     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-02  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Fraga, Eric" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Tuesday,  1 Aug 2023 at 16:22, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> ox-koma-letter, which you likely use, understands EXPORT_LOCATION
>> property, but not LOCATION.
>
> Ah, interesting.  Yes, I do use (infrequently) ox-koma-letter.  Whereas
> all my other org related tools understand LOCATION and not
> EXPORT_LOCATION.  I will ignore these (false positive) lines.

I now updated the linter to mention the backend name.
Also, I made it ignore `org-default-properties' known by Org.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=20d90b979

>>> : 60 low   Potentially malformed timestamp.  Recognized: <2021-01-29 Fri 16:00-17:00>
>>
>> May you give an example of a timestamp at "60"?
>
>   <2021-01-29 16:00-17:00>
>
> and I now immediately see the subtle (or not so subtle) difference:
> there is no day of the week specified.
>
> I misunderstood the message from org-lint: it is telling me what it
> thinks the timestamp was intended to be, not what I had actually
> specified!  Maybe the output from org-lint should say "Interpreted as"
> instead of "recognized"?  Or even "recognized as" would be better.

I changed the message to include the original timestamp and used "parsed
as"
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=7b80334fd

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: is LOCATION not a valid property?  org-lint complains!
@ 2023-08-02  7:27       ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2023-08-02  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ihor,

On Wednesday,  2 Aug 2023 at 06:34, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> I now updated the linter to mention the backend name.
> Also, I made it ignore `org-default-properties' known by Org.

[...]

> I changed the message to include the original timestamp and used "parsed
> as"

Thank you for both of these changes.  They help a lot!

--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.6.7-594-gf03b83 in Emacs 30.0.50