emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Task repeat every weekday?
@ 2019-01-23 13:16 Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2019-01-23 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi! I have some work tasks that I need to get into the habit of doing
every day. (Reviewing PRs / Jira, ...)

Currently I do this with a calendar-style repeater, like so:

,----
| * Recurring Tasks
| ** Review PRs
|    :LOGBOOK:
|    :END:
|    <%%(sb/weekday-p date)>
|
|    - https://github.com/pulls
`----

Where init.el contains:

,----
| (defun sb/weekday-p (date)
|   "Is `date' a weekday?"
|   (let ((dayname (calendar-day-of-week date)))
|     (memq dayname '(1 2 3 4 5))))
`----

While this allows me to clock in, and add comments, it doesn't give me that nice buzz from closing a task. And it doesn't get it out of my agenda once I've completed it that day.

Is there a way to make this into a repeating TODO that shows only on weekdays?

--
Kind regards,

Stig

* Re: Task repeat every weekday?
@ 2019-01-23 14:10 ` Julius Dittmar
From: Julius Dittmar @ 2019-01-23 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 23.01.19 um 14:16 schrieb Stig Brautaset:
> Is there a way to make this into a repeating TODO that shows only on weekdays?

I did not yet find a way to meet all your requirements. Here's what I
found up to now: Either create 5 separate repeating tasks, one per
weekday, with a repeat of ++1w, or (that's what I chose to live with)
one task with a daily repeat you manually reschedule on Fridays:

* TODO habit on Monday
SCHEDULED: <2019-01-21 Mo ++1w>
:PROPERTIES:
:REPEAT_TO_STATE: TODO
:END:
* TODO habit on Thuesday
SCHEDULED: <2019-01-22 Di ++1w>
:PROPERTIES:
:REPEAT_TO_STATE: TODO
:END:
* TODO habit on Wednesday
SCHEDULED: <2019-01-23 Mi ++1w>
:PROPERTIES:
:REPEAT_TO_STATE: TODO
:END:
* TODO habit on Thursday
SCHEDULED: <2019-01-24 Do ++1w>
:PROPERTIES:
:REPEAT_TO_STATE: TODO
:END:
* TODO habit on Friday
SCHEDULED: <2019-01-25 Fr ++1w>
:PROPERTIES:
:REPEAT_TO_STATE: TODO
:END:
* TODO habit daily
SCHEDULED: <2019-01-24 Do ++1d>
:PROPERTIES:
:REPEAT_TO_STATE: TODO
:END:

Hope that helps,
Julius

* Re: Task repeat every weekday?
@ 2019-01-23 17:55 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2019-01-23 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stig Brautaset; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2019-01-23, at 14:16, Stig Brautaset <stig@brautaset.org> wrote:

> Hi! I have some work tasks that I need to get into the habit of doing
> every day. (Reviewing PRs / Jira, ...)
>
> Currently I do this with a calendar-style repeater, like so:
>
> ,----
> | * Recurring Tasks
> | ** Review PRs
> |    :LOGBOOK:
> |    :END:
> |    <%%(sb/weekday-p date)>
> |
> |    - https://github.com/pulls
> `----
>
> Where init.el contains:
>
> ,----
> | (defun sb/weekday-p (date)
> |   "Is `date' a weekday?"
> |   (let ((dayname (calendar-day-of-week date)))
> |     (memq dayname '(1 2 3 4 5))))
> `----
>
> While this allows me to clock in, and add comments, it doesn't give me that nice buzz from closing a task. And it doesn't get it out of my agenda once I've completed it that day.
>
> Is there a way to make this into a repeating TODO that shows only on weekdays?

This thread:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2019-01/msg00002.html
might be of help.

Hth,