emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-16 23:19 Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2007-10-16 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all

With my increased use of org-mode I have also started using M-x
calendar and the diary. For a while I've been wanting to have a
printed version of my calendar for offline use. Also I quite like the
idea of the pocketMod. Now the calendar mode itself can generate some
quite fancy latex printouts that include your diary entries. So over
the weekend I tried to generate a calendar similar to the pocketMod
from the calendars you can create from within Emacs. The attached
script generates a pocketMod style pdf which contains the next four
weeks, the next three months and the current year on one page. It also
generates a hipsterPDA style printout which contains the same
calendars to be used in hipsterPDA style.

I guess the script is meant as a starting point. You could possibly
add an export of your most important TODOs or possibly other
stuff.

One thing that I'm not quite happy with is that the printouts are very
small and you almost need a magnifying glass to read them. Maybe some
experiments with the fonts and font sizes are in order. Also for some
reason the batch jobs do not seem to use the settings from ~/.emacs
(despite the -l ~/.emacs option). I need this to set the preamble in
the generated latex (e.g. for stuff like  (setq cal-tex-preamble-extra
"\\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}")).

So enjoy your printouts and send me feedback and enhancements :-)

Christian

[-- Attachment #2: Makefile to generate a pocketMod --]

EMACS = emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs
LATEX = latex

pdfFiles =  weekCalendar.pdf yearCalendar.pdf monthCalendar3.pdf monthCalendar2.pdf monthCalendar1.pdf

all: pocketMod.pdf hipsterPDA.pdf

%.dvi: %.tex
	$(LATEX) $^

%.pdf: %.dvi
	dvipdf $^

weekCalendar.tex: ~/diary
	$(EMACS) -eval "(progn (calendar) (cal-tex-cursor-week-iso 4) (with-current-buffer cal-tex-buffer (write-file \"$@\")))"

monthCalendar1.tex: ~/diary
	 $(EMACS) -eval "(progn (calendar) (cal-tex-cursor-month-landscape 1) (with-current-buffer cal-tex-buffer (write-file \"$@\")))"

monthCalendar2.tex: ~/diary
	 $(EMACS) -eval "(progn (calendar) (calendar-forward-month 1) (cal-tex-cursor-month-landscape 1) (with-current-buffer cal-tex-buffer (write-file \"$@\")))"

monthCalendar3.tex: ~/diary
	 $(EMACS) -eval "(progn (calendar) (calendar-forward-month 2) (cal-tex-cursor-month-landscape 1) (with-current-buffer cal-tex-buffer (write-file \"$@\")))"

yearCalendar.tex: /home/egli/diary
	 $(EMACS) -eval "(progn (calendar) (calendar-forward-month 2) (cal-tex-cursor-year-landscape 1) (with-current-buffer cal-tex-buffer (write-file \"$@\")))"

pocketMod.pdf: $(pdfFiles)
	for pdf in month*.pdf year*.pdf; do \
		for n in 1 2 3; do \
			pdf90 --outfile tmp.pdf $$pdf; mv tmp.pdf $$pdf; \
		done; \
	done
	pdfjoin --outfile tmp.pdf $^
	pdfnup tmp.pdf --outfile $@ --nup 4x2 --frame true

hipsterPDA.pdf: $(pdfFiles)
	pdfnup weekCalendar.pdf --outfile page1.pdf --nup 2x2 --frame true
	pdfjoin --outfile tmp.pdf monthCalendar*.pdf yearCalendar.pdf
	pdfnup tmp.pdf --outfile page2.pdf --nup 2x2 --frame true
	pdfjoin --outfile $@ page1.pdf page2.pdf

clean:
	rm -rf *.aux *.dvi *.tex *.log *.pdf

* Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17  1:08 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-17  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Egli <christian.egli@novell.com> writes:

> The attached script generates a pocketMod style pdf which contains the
> next four weeks, the next three months and the current year on one
> page. It also generates a hipsterPDA style printout which contains the
> same calendars to be used in hipsterPDA style.

Hey, that's great!  I didn't heard about pocketMod before.

Can you send a PDF example of the output?

I tried your Makefile but could not get any output (yet).  I think it's
mainly because I don't have any of pdfnup/pdfjoin/pdf90 - where does it
come from?  On what system?

Maybe a bit more of explanation on how to use this Makefile would also
be useful.

Looks promising, thanks!

--
Bastien

* Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17  2:03 ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2007-10-17  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian,

Because I've been trying something similar (but not as advanced), I'm
intrigued by the possibilities of your approach. Sadly, I can't run
your Makefile. I get an error[1]. Am I missing something?

About font size, I've found that for what we're trying to do, it helps
to replace \tiny with \small globally.

Also, a little gotcha I've found, which may catch some of us org-mode
GTD-ers: cal-tex.el does not check for the @ symbol when inputting
from the diary, and thus does not escape it, leading to latex-errors
on processing.

Footnotes:
[1]  Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, nil
     make: *** [weekCalendar.tex] Error 255

--
--------------
Dan Griswold

* Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17  9:42   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-10-17  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-10-17 03:03 +0100, Dan Griswold wrote:
> Also, a little gotcha I've found, which may catch some of us org-mode
> GTD-ers: cal-tex.el does not check for the @ symbol when inputting
> from the diary, and thus does not escape it, leading to latex-errors
> on processing.

This probably should be reported to emacs-devel.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

       Use the most powerful email client -- http://gnus.org/

* Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17 10:09 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2007-10-17 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This looks very useful. The only problem on my system is that no diary
entries are printed. I have checked the location of the diary file. I
suspect that I need to tweak the emacs command line options.

For anyone using Debian/Ubuntu pdf90 is part of the pdfjam package.

Ian.

@ 2007-10-17 10:25   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-10-17 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

,----[ C-h v cal-tex-diary RET ]

`----

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

       Use the most powerful email client -- http://gnus.org/

* [OT] pdfjam [Was: PocketMod for org-mode]
@ 2007-10-17 10:36   ` Stefan Kamphausen
From: Stefan Kamphausen @ 2007-10-17 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:

> This looks very useful. The only problem on my system is that no diary
> entries are printed. I have checked the location of the diary file. I
> suspect that I need to tweak the emacs command line options.
>
> For anyone using Debian/Ubuntu pdf90 is part of the pdfjam package.

same for Gentoo:

shell> eix pdfjam
* app-text/pdfjam
     Available versions:  1.10 1.20
     Homepage:            http://www.warwick.ac.uk/go/pdfjam

regards
stefan
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)

* Re: Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17 10:45     ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2007-10-17 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks adding (setq cal-tex-diary t) to my .emacs fixed it.

Ian.

>> This looks very useful. The only problem on my system is that no
>> diary entries are printed. I have checked the location of the diary
>> file. I suspect that I need to tweak the emacs command line options.
>>
>> For anyone using Debian/Ubuntu pdf90 is part of the pdfjam package.
>>
>> Ian.
>
> ,----[ C-h v cal-tex-diary RET ]
> | cal-tex-diary is a variable defined in `cal-tex.el'.
> | Its value is nil

* Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17 10:56     ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2007-10-17 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2007-10-17 03:03 +0100, Dan Griswold wrote:
>> Also, a little gotcha I've found, which may catch some of us org-mode
>> GTD-ers: cal-tex.el does not check for the @ symbol when inputting
>> from the diary, and thus does not escape it, leading to latex-errors
>> on processing.
>
> This probably should be reported to emacs-devel.

Thanks, Leo. I'll try that.

Dan

--
--------------
Dan Griswold

* Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17 11:46   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-17 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:

> This looks very useful. The only problem on my system is that no diary
> entries are printed. I have checked the location of the diary file. I
> suspect that I need to tweak the emacs command line options.

You sure `org-agenda-include-diary' and `cal-tex-diary' are t ?

> For anyone using Debian/Ubuntu pdf90 is part of the pdfjam package.

Thanks very much.  I managed to have a PDF output for weekCalendar.tex,
but it's still a few hacks away:

  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/weekCalendar.pdf
  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/weekCalendar_small_nobf.pdf

Some ideas:

- get rid of the misplaced \verb|@|

  => this should asked to emacs-devel

- get rid of the links by using their description only

  => maybe there could be a special "raw-text" agenda view for this,
     since I cannot see an easy way to do this from the Makefile.
     (Same if you want to use \url or \href for links.)

- use a smaller normal font for tasks, since it doesn't fit sometimes
  (see my other PDF example...)

  => sadly, I guess we need to tailor cal-tex internals for that...

--
Bastien

* Re: Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17 11:47     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-17 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2007-10-17 03:03 +0100, Dan Griswold wrote:
>> Also, a little gotcha I've found, which may catch some of us org-mode
>> GTD-ers: cal-tex.el does not check for the @ symbol when inputting
>> from the diary, and thus does not escape it, leading to latex-errors
>> on processing.
>
> This probably should be reported to emacs-devel.

Please do!

There are @ nearly everywhere on Org tasks, because of links to emails.

--
Bastien

* Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17 11:58   ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2007-10-17 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

Bastien <bzg <at> altern.org> writes:

> Christian Egli <christian.egli <at> novell.com> writes:
>
> > The attached script generates a pocketMod style pdf which contains the
> > next four weeks, the next three months and the current year on one
> > page. It also generates a hipsterPDA style printout which contains the
> > same calendars to be used in hipsterPDA style.
>
> Hey, that's great!  I didn't heard about pocketMod before.

Thanks :-)

> Can you send a PDF example of the output?

I'll try to set up a page on the emacswiki tonight where I can upload the code
and a couple of PDF examples.

> I tried your Makefile but could not get any output (yet).  I think it's
> mainly because I don't have any of pdfnup/pdfjoin/pdf90 - where does it
> come from?  On what system?

You need to install pdfjam. Most distros have it. Otherwise get it from
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/staff/academic/firth/software/pdfjam.

> Maybe a bit more of explanation on how to use this Makefile would also
> be useful.

You basically just type make :-). This will produce two pdfs: pocketMod.pdf and
hipsterPDA.pdf.

pocketMod.pdf can be folded and cut according to the instructions on
pocketmod.com. In my experience it is much to small to be usefull. More tweaking
(e.g. with the fonts is needed).

hipsterPDA.pdf gives you two pages that you can cut in four sheets each. This
will give you eight sheets of size A6 (105mm x 148mm), which can then be clipped
together in the style of the hipster pda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_PDA).

HTH
Christian

* Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17 12:02   ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2007-10-17 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dan Griswold <dgriswol <at> rochester.rr.com> writes:

> Because I've been trying something similar (but not as advanced), I'm
> intrigued by the possibilities of your approach. Sadly, I can't run
> your Makefile. I get an error[1]. Am I missing something?

I need more details to analyse the problem.

> About font size, I've found that for what we're trying to do, it helps
> to replace \tiny with \small globally.

I'll see what I can do without actually patching the code in cal-tex.el.

> Also, a little gotcha I've found, which may catch some of us org-mode
> GTD-ers: cal-tex.el does not check for the @ symbol when inputting
> from the diary, and thus does not escape it, leading to latex-errors
> on processing.

I've run into that problem also and avoided it by rewriting the one diary entry
that caused the problem :-). Yes, this problem should be reported on
emacs-devel. There is even some code in cal-tex that seems to deal with this
problem, but it is commented out for whatever reason.

Christian

* Re: Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17 12:14     ` pete phillips
From: pete phillips @ 2007-10-17 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    > On 2007-10-17 03:03 +0100, Dan Griswold wrote:
    >> Also, a little gotcha I've found, which may catch some of us
    >> org-mode GTD-ers: cal-tex.el does not check for the @ symbol when
    >> inputting from the diary, and thus does not escape it, leading to
    >> latex-errors on processing.

    Leo> This probably should be reported to emacs-devel.

As an interim measure, if you patch the Makefile as follows:

Change:

	%.dvi: %.tex
		$(LATEX) $^
	%.dvi: %.tex
		sed 's/\\verb|@|/\@/g' < $< > /tmp/temp-org-file.$$$$; mv /tmp/temp-org-file.$$$$ $<
		$(LATEX) $^

On the basis that any '@'s get changed to \verb|@|, it just escapes
them. Clearly only a temporary measure!
Pete

* Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17 12:51       ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2007-10-17 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg <at> altern.org> writes:

> Christian Egli <christian.egli <at> novell.com> writes:

> > You basically just type make . This will produce two pdfs:
> > pocketMod.pdf and hipsterPDA.pdf.
>
> I can't get this to work because of the issues I mentionned above
> Here I reproduce them:
>
> ,----
> | - get rid of the misplaced \verb|@|

Does Pete's patch help?

> | - get rid of the links by using their description only

This I don't understand. How do you get your deadlines to show up
in your calendar?

> | - use a smaller normal font for tasks, since it doesn't fit sometimes
> |   (see my other PDF example...)
> |
> |   => sadly, I guess we need to tailor cal-tex internals for that...

I looked at cal-tex.el some more and it looks like it could use some
love :-). The font sizes for the ISO-style weekly calendar for
example is hard coded to 11pt and the diary entries are hardcoded to
be shown with \large\bf.

Christian

* Re: Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17 13:08     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-17 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Egli <christian.egli@novell.com> writes:

> You need to install pdfjam. Most distros have it. Otherwise get it from
> http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/staff/academic/firth/software/pdfjam.

Thanks, installed.

> You basically just type make :-). This will produce two pdfs:
> pocketMod.pdf and hipsterPDA.pdf.

I can't get this to work because of the issues I mentionned above in my
reply to Ian Barton.  Here I reproduce them:

,----
| - get rid of the misplaced \verb|@|

|   => this should asked to emacs-devel
|
| - get rid of the links by using their description only
|
|   => maybe there could be a special "raw-text" agenda view for this,
|      since I cannot see an easy way to do this from the Makefile.
|      (Same if you want to use \url or \href for links.)
|
| - use a smaller normal font for tasks, since it doesn't fit sometimes
|   (see my other PDF example...)
|
|   => sadly, I guess we need to tailor cal-tex internals for that...
`----

For now I only can do this:

  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/weekCalendar.pdf

And I need to fix the .tex files manually because they won't compile
otherwise. Hopefully we can find some workaround!  Thanks again,

--
Bastien

* Re: Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17 13:36       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-17 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

pete phillips <pete@smtl.co.uk> writes:

> On the basis that any '@'s get changed to \verb|@|, it just escapes
> them. Clearly only a temporary measure!

Works nice here.

  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/hipsterPDA.pdf
  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/pocketMod.pdf

Except for the size of the item and the link problem.  I guess we can
play a bit with cal-tex.el for this.

Bastien

* Re: Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17 14:00         ` Bastien
       [not found]           ` <q4odex6f0i.fsf@home.net>
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-17 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Egli <christian.egli@novell.com> writes:

>> ,----
>> | - get rid of the misplaced \verb|@|
>
> Does Pete's patch help?

Yes it does, no problem anymore.

>> | - get rid of the links by using their description only
>
> This I don't understand. How do you get your deadlines to show up
> in your calendar?

&%%(org-diary :scheduled :timestamp :deadline)

in my ~/.diary file.

> I looked at cal-tex.el some more and it looks like it could use some
> love :-). The font sizes for the ISO-style weekly calendar for example
> is hard coded to 11pt and the diary entries are hardcoded to be shown
> with \large\bf.

Love for sell in orgmode list :)

--
Bastien

* Re: Re: PocketMod for org-mode
       [not found]           ` <q4odex6f0i.fsf@home.net>
@ 2007-10-17 15:00             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-17 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

>> &%%(org-diary :scheduled :timestamp :deadline)
>>
>> in my ~/.diary file.
>
> FYI : Putting that in my .diary file caused me to get an empty agenda.
>
> Can you explain to me how that line works? And Is the & supposed to be
> there?

I guess this should somehow appear in (info "(org)Weekly/Daily agenda")

See the docstring of `org-diary':

(org-diary &rest args)

Return diary information from org-files.
This function can be used in a "sexp" diary entry in the Emacs calendar.
It accesses org files and extracts information from those files to be
listed in the diary.  The function accepts arguments specifying what
items should be listed.  The following arguments are allowed:

   :timestamp    List the headlines of items containing a date stamp or
		 date range matching the selected date.  Deadlines will
		 also be listed, on the expiration day.

   :sexp         List entries resulting from diary-like sexps.

   :deadline     List any deadlines past due, or due within
		 `org-deadline-warning-days'.  The listing occurs only
		 in the diary for *today*, not at any other date.  If
		 an entry is marked DONE, it is no longer listed.

   :scheduled    List all items which are scheduled for the given date.
		 The diary for *today* also contains items which were
		 scheduled earlier and are not yet marked DONE.

   :todo         List all TODO items from the org-file.  This may be a
		 long list - so this is not turned on by default.
		 Like deadlines, these entries only show up in the
		 diary for *today*, not at any other date.

The call in the diary file should look like this:

   &%%(org-diary) ~/path/to/some/orgfile.org

Use a separate line for each org file to check.  Or, if you omit the file name,
all files listed in `org-agenda-files' will be checked automatically:

   &%%(org-diary)

If you don't give any arguments (as in the example above), the default
arguments (:deadline :scheduled :timestamp :sexp) are used.
So the example above may also be written as

   &%%(org-diary :deadline :timestamp :sexp :scheduled)

The function expects the lisp variables `entry' and `date' to be provided
by the caller, because this is how the calendar works.  Don't use this
function from a program - use `org-agenda-get-day-entries' instead.

--
Bastien

* Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-17 20:15     ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2007-10-17 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Egli <christian.egli@novell.com> writes:

> Dan Griswold <dgriswol <at> rochester.rr.com> writes:
>
>> Because I've been trying something similar (but not as advanced), I'm
>> intrigued by the possibilities of your approach. Sadly, I can't run
>> your Makefile. I get an error[1]. Am I missing something?
>
> I need more details to analyse the problem.

Sure. Here's the error message again:

,----
| Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, nil
| make: *** [weekCalendar.tex] Error 255
`----

The error appears when it gets to the first rule to use an emacs batch
command.

I'm using Emacs 22.1.1, Debian, bash. I'm not sure what else to tell
you.

--
--------------
Dan Griswold

* Re: PocketMod for org-mode
       [not found]           ` <q4odex6f0i.fsf@home.net>
@ 2007-10-17 20:59           ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2007-10-17 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Christian Egli <christian.egli@novell.com> writes:
>
>>> ,----
>>> | - get rid of the misplaced \verb|@|
>>
>> Does Pete's patch help?
>
> Yes it does, no problem anymore.

>> This I don't understand. How do you get your deadlines to show up
>> in your calendar?
>
> &%%(org-diary :scheduled :timestamp :deadline)
>
> in my ~/.diary file.

Ah, now I understand. That is also the reason why your calendar looks
so crowded. So far I've only used it to show the entries from my diary
file.

My idea was to replace the year calendar with some export of the
agenda view, maybe of the next 14 days. So you'd have an overview of
your appointments (and only your appointments) for the next 4 weeks
and the next 3 months and finally an overview of all the tasks for the
next 14 days.

Now what would be really nice is if I could export the agenda view to
latex. I couldn't find any code in org-export-latex.el to do that. Am
I missing something, Bastien?

>> I looked at cal-tex.el some more and it looks like it could use some
>> love :-). The font sizes for the ISO-style weekly calendar for example
>> is hard coded to 11pt and the diary entries are hardcoded to be shown
>> with \large\bf.
>
> Love for sell in orgmode list :)

Well, while it would be worthwile to do some enhancements to
cal-tex.el (some TODOs are mentioned in the Commentary section), there
is an easier way to massage the produced LaTeX code. As mentioned on
the emacswiki
(http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/CalendarPrinting) you can
add a hook to cal-tex-hook which can quote the @ or change the fonts
for example.

In essence this is the same as Pete's sed hack in the Makefile, just a
tad more integrated in Emacs. If this really makes such a great
difference in terms of a batch job I don't know.

Christian

* Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-18  1:37               ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-10-18  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-10-18 02:47 +0100, Bastien wrote:
> Christian Egli <christian.egli@novell.com> writes:
>
>> Now what would be really nice is if I could export the agenda view to
>> latex. I couldn't find any code in org-export-latex.el to do that. Am
>> I missing something, Bastien?
>
> No you're not.
>
> For now you can use `org-write-agenda' (C-x C-w) to export the agenda
> view to HTML or postscript, depending on the extension you're using.
> The postscript output is obtained with `ps-print-buffer-with-faces',
> which might not be always very readable.

> Then I guess being able to export the agenda to LaTeX makes sense.
>
> Can you describe what would be the expected LaTeX output for you?

Anything like the following would be really really nice:

http://shopping.franklincovey.com/shopping/catalog/category.jsp?displaychildren=true&id=cat1640002&crc=cat960026&sc=0709_main_oct_pp&c=0709_main_oct_pp&product=PlanningPagesbyStartDate

--

@ 2007-10-18  1:47             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-18  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

@ 2007-10-18  9:51                   ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2007-10-18  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg <at> altern.org> writes:

> Leo <sdl.web <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> Then I guess being able to export the agenda to LaTeX makes sense.
> >> Can you describe what would be the expected LaTeX output for you?
> >
> > Anything like the following would be really really nice:

http://shopping.franklincovey.com/shopping/catalog/category.jsp?displaychildren=true&id=cat1640002&crc=cat960026&sc=0709_main_oct_pp&c=0709_main_oct_pp&product=PlanningPagesbyStartDate

> Well :)

Haha, maybe for xmas :-).

> Thanks for these example, but what I really need is some suggestions
> about the expected content of the LaTeX output itself.
>
> Should we use `cal-tex.el'-like output (very nice but very specific, and
> not flexible)? Should we just use a straightforward verbatim display?
> Should we use sections for agenda with multiple views?

A straightforward verbatim dump of the agenda view is fine for me. In fact I was
just going to use the ps output in my Makefile.

Christian

* Re: Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-18 10:05                 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-18 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

>> Then I guess being able to export the agenda to LaTeX makes sense.
>> Can you describe what would be the expected LaTeX output for you?
>
> Anything like the following would be really really nice:
>
> http://shopping.franklincovey.com/shopping/catalog/category.jsp?displaychildren=true&id=cat1640002&crc=cat960026&sc=0709_main_oct_pp&c=0709_main_oct_pp&product=PlanningPagesbyStartDate

Well :)

Thanks for these example, but what I really need is some suggestions
about the expected content of the LaTeX output itself.

Should we use `cal-tex.el'-like output (very nice but very specific, and
not flexible)? Should we just use a straightforward verbatim display?
Should we use sections for agenda with multiple views?

I'd start with a simple verbatim output first.

--
Bastien

* Re: Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-18 12:21                     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-18 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Egli <christian.egli@novell.com> writes:

>> Should we use `cal-tex.el'-like output (very nice but very specific, and
>> not flexible)? Should we just use a straightforward verbatim display?
>> Should we use sections for agenda with multiple views?
>
> A straightforward verbatim dump of the agenda view is fine for me. In
> fact I was just going to use the ps output in my Makefile.

Try this patch against Org 5.12c:

[-- Attachment #2: org.el.patch --]
[-- Type: text/x-diff, Size: 1772 bytes --]

diff -u /home/guerry/elisp/testing/org/org.el /home/guerry/elisp/testing/bzg/org.el
--- /home/guerry/elisp/testing/org/org.el	2007-10-12 20:32:10.000000000 +0100
+++ /home/guerry/elisp/testing/bzg/org.el	2007-10-18 13:17:18.000000000 +0100
@@ -17885,7 +17885,8 @@
       (error "Cannot write agenda to file %s" file))
   (cond
    ((string-match "\\.html?\\'" file) (require 'htmlize))
-   ((string-match "\\.ps\\'" file) (require 'ps-print)))
+   ((string-match "\\.ps\\'" file) (require 'ps-print))
+   ((string-match "\\.tex\\'" file) (require 'org-export-latex)))
   (org-let (if nosettings nil org-agenda-exporter-settings)
     '(save-excursion
        (save-window-excursion
@@ -17903,6 +17904,23 @@
 	   (write-file file)
 	   (kill-buffer (current-buffer))
 	   (message "HTML written to %s" file))
+	  ((string-match "\\.tex\\'" file)
+	   (let ((buffer-file-name file))
+	     (set-buffer (org-export-as-latex nil nil nil "*Org LaTeX export*")))
+	   (goto-char (point-min))
+	   (save-excursion
+	     (when (re-search-forward "^[a-zA-Z0-9]" nil t)
+	       (replace-match "\\\\begin{verbatim}\n\\&" t nil))
+	     (while (re-search-forward
+		     "\\\\\\([a-z]+\\){\\([^}]+\\)}\\(?:{\\([^}]+\\)}\\)?" nil t)
+	       (unless (string-match "begin\\|end" (match-string 1))
+		 (replace-match (or (match-string 3) (match-string 2)) t t))))
+	   (while (re-search-forward "\\[\\\\#" nil t)
+	     (replace-match "[#" t t))
+	   (when (search-forward "\\end{document}" nil t)
+	     (replace-match "\\\\end{verbatim}\n\\&" t nil))
+	   (write-file file)
+	   (message "LaTeX written to %s" file))
 	  ((string-match "\\.ps\\'" file)
 	   (ps-print-buffer-with-faces file)
 	   (message "Postscript written to %s" file))

Diff finished.  Thu Oct 18 13:18:45 2007

This is just a temporary workaround, but it might be enough in most
cases. It performs a few checks on the LaTeX output so that links and
priorities are correctly displayed in the verbatim environment.

--
Bastien

* Re: Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-25  5:48     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-25  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 17, 2007, at 1:58 PM, Christian Egli wrote:

> Hi
>
> Bastien <bzg <at> altern.org> writes:
>
>> Christian Egli <christian.egli <at> novell.com> writes:
>>
>>> The attached script generates a pocketMod style pdf which
>>> contains the
>>> next four weeks, the next three months and the current year on one
>>> page. It also generates a hipsterPDA style printout which
>>> contains the
>>> same calendars to be used in hipsterPDA style.
>>
>> Hey, that's great!  I didn't heard about pocketMod before.
>
> Thanks :-)
>
>> Can you send a PDF example of the output?
>
> I'll try to set up a page on the emacswiki tonight where I can
> upload the code
> and a couple of PDF examples.

Hi Christian,

do you have a link to the updated version of your Makefile?  Cannot
find one in the tread...

- Carsten

* Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-25 12:46       ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2007-10-25 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Christian,
>
> do you have a link to the updated version of your Makefile?  Cannot
> find one in the tread...

I haven't sent out a updated version. I have some updates sitting on my hard
drive at home. On top of that I'd like to get some nice LaTeX export of the
agenda included in the printout. I sent a proposal for the LaTeX to Bastien and
hope that he'll manage to integrate it in org-latex.el.

I'll send out an updated version of the Makefile tonight.

Christian

* Re: PocketMod for org-mode
@ 2007-10-25 20:29         ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2007-10-25 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Egli <christian.egli@novell.com> writes:

> I haven't sent out a updated version. I have some updates sitting on my hard
> drive at home. On top of that I'd like to get some nice LaTeX export of the
> agenda included in the printout. I sent a proposal for the LaTeX to Bastien and
> hope that he'll manage to integrate it in org-latex.el.
>
> I'll send out an updated version of the Makefile tonight.

Attached is an updated version of org2pocketMod. As before you need to
have the pdfjam tools installed. Also you might want to add (setq
cal-tex-diary t) to your .emacs, so diary entries actually show up in
your printout.

The Makefile now does some changes on the LaTeX produced by
cal-tex. This will quote @, and change some of the font sizes.

Christian

[-- Attachment #2: Updated version of org2pocketMod Makefile --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2973 bytes --]

# org2pocketMod - a small utility to generate pocketMod style printouts from org mode
# Copyright (C) 2007  Christian Egli
#
# Version: 0.2
#
# This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
#
# along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

EMACS = emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs
LATEX = latex

hipsterFiles =  weekCalendar.pdf yearCalendar.pdf monthCalendar3.pdf monthCalendar2.pdf monthCalendar1.pdf
pocketModFiles =  weekCalendar.pdf yearCalendar-rotated.pdf \
	monthCalendar3-rotated.pdf monthCalendar2-rotated.pdf monthCalendar1-rotated.pdf

all: pocketMod.pdf hipsterPDA.pdf

%.dvi: %.tex
	# Quick hack to massage the LaTeX produced by cal-tex
	# quote '@', then increase font size of week calendars and
	# finaly increase font of diary entries in moth calendar
	sed 	-e 's/\\verb|@|/\@/g' \
		-e 's/documentclass\[11pt\]/documentclass[12pt]/g' \
		-e 's/{\\tiny \\raggedright #3}/{\\small \\raggedright #3}/g' \
		< $< > /tmp/temp-org-file.$$$$; mv /tmp/temp-org-file.$$$$ $<
	$(LATEX) $^

%.pdf: %.dvi
	dvipdf $^

%-rotated.pdf: %.pdf
	cp $^ $@
	for n in 1 2 3; do \
		pdf90 --outfile tmp.pdf $@; mv tmp.pdf $@; \
	done

weekCalendar.tex: ~/diary
	$(EMACS) -eval "(progn (calendar) (cal-tex-cursor-week-iso 4) (with-current-buffer cal-tex-buffer (write-file \"$@\")))"

monthCalendar1.tex: ~/diary
	 $(EMACS) -eval "(progn (calendar) (cal-tex-cursor-month-landscape 1) (with-current-buffer cal-tex-buffer (write-file \"$@\")))"

monthCalendar2.tex: ~/diary
	 $(EMACS) -eval "(progn (calendar) (calendar-forward-month 1) (cal-tex-cursor-month-landscape 1) (with-current-buffer cal-tex-buffer (write-file \"$@\")))"

monthCalendar3.tex: ~/diary
	 $(EMACS) -eval "(progn (calendar) (calendar-forward-month 2) (cal-tex-cursor-month-landscape 1) (with-current-buffer cal-tex-buffer (write-file \"$@\")))"

yearCalendar.tex: ~/diary
	 $(EMACS) -eval "(progn (calendar) (calendar-forward-month 2) (cal-tex-cursor-year-landscape 1) (with-current-buffer cal-tex-buffer (write-file \"$@\")))"

pocketMod.pdf: $(pocketModFiles)
	pdfjoin --outfile tmp.pdf $^
	pdfnup tmp.pdf --outfile $@ --nup 4x2 --frame true

hipsterPDA.pdf: $(hipsterFiles)
	pdfnup weekCalendar.pdf --outfile page1.pdf --nup 2x2 --frame true
	pdfjoin --outfile tmp.pdf monthCalendar[1-3]-rotated.pdf yearCalendar-rotated.pdf

@ 2007-10-26  1:56           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-26  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Egli <christian.egli@novell.com> writes:

> Attached is an updated version of org2pocketMod. As before you need to
> have the pdfjam tools installed. Also you might want to add (setq
> cal-tex-diary t) to your .emacs, so diary entries actually show up in
> your printout.

Works fine -- great stuff!

--
Bastien