emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Literate config and :tangle clauses
@ 2016-12-23 23:00 aaermolov
From: aaermolov @ 2016-12-23 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi all!

Recently I've experienced a kind of a problem - my literate Emacs config
stopped tangling correctly, only a subset of code blocks were found in
resulting .el file.
I've looked at it a bit closer and it seems now (not earlier than 9.0.2)
the :tangle clause became required. I've searched Org repo but failed to
find a respective commit or any reference to the relevant info.

Can anyone point me to the right direction?

regards,
Alex

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Literate config and :tangle clauses
@ 2016-12-25 10:39 ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2016-12-25 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

aaermolov@gmail.com writes:

> Hi all!
>
> Recently I've experienced a kind of a problem - my literate Emacs config
> stopped tangling correctly, only a subset of code blocks were found in
> resulting .el file.
> I've looked at it a bit closer and it seems now (not earlier than 9.0.2)
> the :tangle clause became required. I've searched Org repo but failed to
> find a respective commit or any reference to the relevant info.

I also experienced the same behaviour. :tangle became required, which it
wasn't previously.

My solution was just to add the ":tangle yes" tag everywhere.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Literate config and :tangle clauses
@ 2016-12-25 17:52   ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-12-25 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, 25 Dec 2016, joakim@verona.se wrote:

> aaermolov@gmail.com writes:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Recently I've experienced a kind of a problem - my literate Emacs config
>> stopped tangling correctly, only a subset of code blocks were found in
>> resulting .el file.
>> I've looked at it a bit closer and it seems now (not earlier than 9.0.2)
>> the :tangle clause became required. I've searched Org repo but failed to
>> find a respective commit or any reference to the relevant info.

I don't think the problem lies with any revision to org.

First, what `C-h v org-babel-default-header-args RET' shows below is
unchanged for at least a year:

org-babel-default-header-args is a variable defined in ‘ob-core.el’.
Its value is ((:session . "none")
  (:results . "replace")
  (:exports . "code")
  (:cache . "no")
  (:noweb . "no")
  (:hlines . "no")
  (:tangle . "no"))

Note that `(:tangle . "no")' sets the default behavior.

Second, I have files that depend on the above. i.e. I set the header
on a few blocks to `:tangle yes' and leave the rest alone, relying on
the above default to keep them from being tangled.

> I also experienced the same behaviour. :tangle became required, which it
> wasn't previously.
>
> My solution was just to add the ":tangle yes" tag everywhere.
>

>> Can anyone point me to the right direction?

Use

#+PROPERTY: header-args :tangle yes

(and type `C-c C-c' to reset the buffer the first time you type it)

and review

(info "(org) Using header arguments")

for tips on how to control the application of header args.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Literate config and :tangle clauses
@ 2016-12-26  8:33   ` aaermolov
From: aaermolov @ 2016-12-26  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim, emacs-orgmode

Yes, I've ended up doing the same. It's not a problem at all, but I was
just curious how has it gone that way.

regards,
Alex

@ 2016-12-26  8:49     ` aaermolov