emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Is it possible for a TODO item not to be an outline item?
@ 2017-10-08 11:40 Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2017-10-08 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm starting to use org for notes, and I realize that I don't know how
to create a TODO item but without it being an outline item. Sorry if
this is not the proper terminology. Let me explain what I would like to
have. Let's say I have a file where I want to keep details about a new machine
installation. I would have something like:

,----
| * Installation of PC X
|
| ** Hardware configuration
| blah,blah,blah,
|
| ** Software configuration
| I intall app x, no trouble
|
| I try to install app y, but no luck
| *** TODO App Y is giving trouble, fix
|
| I install app z, no trouble
`----

For the "software configuration" I just type notes of what I'm doing,
and I would like to have TODO items for unfinished tasks.

If I write something like above when I collapse the TODO item, all the
information about the app Z collapses with it. I know that I could
create another outline level for each of the apps (or at least for "app
y" and "app z"), but that will force me to create extra levels whenever
I want to insert a TODO item in the middle of a section.

So basically I would like to have that TODO item but somehow without
creating a new section. Is it possible?

Ángel de Vicente
http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com/

* Re: Is it possible for a TODO item not to be an outline item?
@ 2017-10-08 11:57 ` Georgiy Tugai
From: Georgiy Tugai @ 2017-10-08 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Inline tasks come to mind. Here's your example with inline tasks:

,----
| * Installation of PC X
|
| ** Hardware configuration
| blah,blah,blah,
|
| ** Software configuration
| I intall app x, no trouble
|
| I try to install app y, but no luck
| *************** TODO App Y is giving trouble, fix
| Details about trouble...
| *************** END
|
| I install app z, no trouble
`----

The command to insert an inline task is 'org-inlinetask-insert-task'; I
believe that there is no default binding.

Regards,
Georgiy

On 08 Oct, Angel de Vicente wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm starting to use org for notes, and I realize that I don't know how
> to create a TODO item but without it being an outline item. Sorry if
> this is not the proper terminology. Let me explain what I would like to
> have. Let's say I have a file where I want to keep details about a new machine
> installation. I would have something like:
>
> ,----
> | * Installation of PC X
> |
> | ** Hardware configuration
> | blah,blah,blah,
> |
> | ** Software configuration
> | I intall app x, no trouble
> |
> | I try to install app y, but no luck
> | *** TODO App Y is giving trouble, fix
> |
> | I install app z, no trouble
> `----
>
> For the "software configuration" I just type notes of what I'm doing,
> and I would like to have TODO items for unfinished tasks.
>
> If I write something like above when I collapse the TODO item, all the
> information about the app Z collapses with it. I know that I could
> create another outline level for each of the apps (or at least for "app
> y" and "app z"), but that will force me to create extra levels whenever
> I want to insert a TODO item in the middle of a section.
>
> So basically I would like to have that TODO item but somehow without
> creating a new section. Is it possible?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Ángel de Vicente
> http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Is it possible for a TODO item not to be an outline item?
@ 2017-10-08 12:09   ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2017-10-08 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Georgiy Tugai <georgiy.tugai@gmail.com> writes:

> Inline tasks come to mind. Here's your example with inline tasks:
>
> ,----
> | * Installation of PC X
> |
> | ** Hardware configuration
> | blah,blah,blah,
> |
> | ** Software configuration
> | I intall app x, no trouble
> |
> | I try to install app y, but no luck
> | *************** TODO App Y is giving trouble, fix
> | Details about trouble...
> | *************** END
> |
> | I install app z, no trouble
> `----
>
> The command to insert an inline task is 'org-inlinetask-insert-task'; I
> believe that there is no default binding.

There is.  In an Org file

    C-h w org-inlinetask-insert-task

yields typically the message

    org-inlinetask-insert-task is on C-c C-x t

Regards
       Marco

* Re: Is it possible for a TODO item not to be an outline item?
@ 2017-10-08 17:56     ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2017-10-08 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> writes:
> Georgiy Tugai <georgiy.tugai@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Inline tasks come to mind. Here's your example with inline tasks:

>> The command to insert an inline task is 'org-inlinetask-insert-task'; I
>> believe that there is no default binding.
>
> There is.  In an Org file
>
>     C-h w org-inlinetask-insert-task
>
> yields typically the message
>
>     org-inlinetask-insert-task is on C-c C-x t

Thanks Georgiy and Marco.

I just put (require 'org-inlinetask) in my .emacs file and the mentioned
function and keybinding are available. It is not particularly pretty how
inline tasks show in the file, but it is a solution.

Many thanks,
--

@ 2017-10-10 10:18 ` Florian Beck
From: Florian Beck @ 2017-10-10 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 08.10.2017 13:40, Angel de Vicente wrote:
> So basically I would like to have that TODO item but somehow without
> creating a new section. Is it possible?

Use

---------------
bla bla bla
# TODO: fix installation
bla bla bla
---------------

and

M-x org-occur-in-agenda-files (which is bound to C-a /).

Florian

* Re: Is it possible for a TODO item not to be an outline item?
@ 2017-10-11  8:23   ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2017-10-11  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Florian,

Florian Beck <fb@fbeck.net> writes:
> On 08.10.2017 13:40, Angel de Vicente wrote:
>> So basically I would like to have that TODO item but somehow without
>> creating a new section. Is it possible?
>
> Use
>
> ---------------
> bla bla bla
> # TODO: fix installation
> bla bla bla
>
> and
>
> M-x org-occur-in-agenda-files (which is bound to C-a /).

Thanks for the suggestion, but this won't be considered a TO DO item by
org, so not what I'm looking for (I won't be able, for example, to
assign priorities, or look for TO DO only in this buffer, record the
date automatically when closing the TO DO item, etc.). For the moment
I'll stick with the org-inlinetask approach.

Cheers,