Inline tasks come to mind. Here's your example with inline tasks: ,---- | * Installation of PC X | | ** Hardware configuration | blah,blah,blah, | | ** Software configuration | I intall app x, no trouble | | I try to install app y, but no luck | *************** TODO App Y is giving trouble, fix | Details about trouble... | *************** END | | I install app z, no trouble `---- The command to insert an inline task is 'org-inlinetask-insert-task'; I believe that there is no default binding. Regards, Georgiy On 08 Oct, Angel de Vicente wrote: > Hi, > > I'm starting to use org for notes, and I realize that I don't know how > to create a TODO item but without it being an outline item. Sorry if > this is not the proper terminology. Let me explain what I would like to > have. Let's say I have a file where I want to keep details about a new machine > installation. I would have something like: > > ,---- > | * Installation of PC X > | > | ** Hardware configuration > | blah,blah,blah, > | > | ** Software configuration > | I intall app x, no trouble > | > | I try to install app y, but no luck > | *** TODO App Y is giving trouble, fix > | > | I install app z, no trouble > `---- > > For the "software configuration" I just type notes of what I'm doing, > and I would like to have TODO items for unfinished tasks. > > If I write something like above when I collapse the TODO item, all the > information about the app Z collapses with it. I know that I could > create another outline level for each of the apps (or at least for "app > y" and "app z"), but that will force me to create extra levels whenever > I want to insert a TODO item in the middle of a section. > > So basically I would like to have that TODO item but somehow without > creating a new section. Is it possible? > > Thanks, > -- > Ángel de Vicente > http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com/ > >