emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* How to get rid of first line indent?
@ 2017-06-08 20:57 Birnle
From: Birnle @ 2017-06-08 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear group,

How do I get rid of the (first) line indent in org mode? I type some
text (book length) in:

* Some heading text
Here is some text in one line in
visual mode that wraps nicely
and looks like it should.

** Another header
And some more text in just one
line in visual mode that wraps
as it should.

Then I do something – I don’t know what it is, but suddenly the
first line of the same text is indented to the level of the header by
white space:

* Some heading text
   Here is some text in one line
in visual mode that wraps nicely
and looks like it should.

** Another header
    And some more text in just
one line in visual mode that
wraps as it should.

I’ve searched for hours but couldn’t find a solution. As a totally
new Emacs and org (and evil) mode user I don’t know what to do. Please
help!

Best,
Birnle

* Re: How to get rid of first line indent?
       [not found] <9ef25cc73d884cbbbfe6c097f7b5f8a7@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2017-06-11 14:51 ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]   ` <2108366ff0a84d9f9bd291a78ceb30ec@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-06-11 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday,  8 Jun 2017 at 20:57, Birnle wrote:
> Dear group,
>
> How do I get rid of the (first) line indent in org mode? I type some
> text (book length) in:

[...]

> Then I do something – I don’t know what it is, but suddenly the
> first line of the same text is indented to the level of the header by
> white space:

Cannot help you directly but if you want to see what you did when the
"suddenly" bit happens, try typing "C-h l" (Control and H key
simultaneously and then lower case l) to see all the most recent
keystrokes you have made and how they have been interpreted by
emacs.  This may point to an offending command you are invoking without
being aware.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 26.0.50, Org release_9.0.7-531-g530113

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to get rid of first line indent?
@ 2017-06-12 15:49   ` Birnle
       [not found]   ` <2108366ff0a84d9f9bd291a78ceb30ec@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Birnle @ 2017-06-12 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Yes, Eric, thank you, that is a good idea.

Now I've found that it is more a feature than a failure – org mode thinks of it as "cleaning up", and it does it automagically together with some commands. There is even a special command for it: C-c n (crux-cleanup-buffer-or-region).

But I cannot find the command to "unclean" the text so that I get again what I've typed – without the whitespace before each (first) line.

The reason that I want the text as I type it (without leading whitespace) in is that I want to copy/paste it into other apps, where it is wrong to have the whitespace at the beginning of the line, so I have to erase it by hand (or regexp search/replace).

Is there no command to "unclean" the file again?

@ 2017-06-12 16:01     ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]       ` <1916abece6014b148905df8633e60e0e@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-06-12 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Monday, 12 Jun 2017 at 15:49, Birnle wrote:
> Is there no command to "unclean" the file again?

Difficulty is defining what "unclean" means.  For instance, if it is
simply removing spaces at the start of a line, you could use

,----[ C-h f replace-regexp RET ]
| replace-regexp is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
| ‘replace.el’.
|
| (replace-regexp REGEXP TO-STRING &optional DELIMITED START END
| BACKWARD)
|
| This function is for interactive use only;
| [...]
`----

and replace "^ +" with "" (no quotes typed).  But this would apply to
all lines.  If you can come up with a regexp for "unclean" lines then
this could work.

HTH,
eric

--

@ 2017-06-12 16:14       ` Birnle
       [not found]       ` <1916abece6014b148905df8633e60e0e@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Birnle @ 2017-06-12 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Yes, Eric, thank you again. This is what I knew, I can do it with regexp. I just thought there would be a simple command that could undo the "cleanup".

But I’ve read that it is possible to directly export to Markdown – that is the format I usually work with. By exporting an Org mode file these unnecessary spaces should be erased. I just have to figure out how to export to Markdown from Org mode … Do you know a good online How-to?

@ 2017-06-12 16:57     ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2017-06-12 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Birnle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Birnle <birnle@gmx.de> wrote:

> crux-cleanup-buffer-or-region

if that command is what does it, then it is happening outside of org-mode.
I guess it is a command from here: https://github.com/bbatsov/crux and that
it is in a hook function somewhere.

However, I am skeptical this command is what is doing it, because I also
see this happen occasionally. Are you sure it isn't because
of org-indent-mode?

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: How to get rid of first line indent?
@ 2017-06-12 17:15         ` John Ankarström
From: John Ankarström @ 2017-06-12 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Birnle <birnle@gmx.de> writes:

> But I’ve read that it is possible to directly export to Markdown – that is the
> format I usually work with. By exporting an Org mode file these unnecessary
> spaces should be erased. I just have to figure out how to export to Markdown
> from Org mode … Do you know a good online How-to?

Exporting to Markdown is built into Org-mode, accessible from the
C-c C-e export menu, but might not be enabled by default. To
enable it, customize `org-export-backends' (M-x customize RET
org-export-backends RET) and enable export to Markdown format
(`md').

Then you can press C-c C-e m m to export the Org document to a
.md file.

- John

* Re: How to get rid of first line indent?
@ 2017-06-12 21:42       ` Birnle
From: Birnle @ 2017-06-12 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org; +Cc: John Kitchin

Thank you, John, for your answer. And no, it’s much too early for me
to be sure … But C-c n does actually indent each (first) line with
whitespace according to the number of asterisks in the heading.

The easiest and fastest solution is in fact deleting the leading
whitespace in every line by replace-regexp (replace ^ + by nothing).

@ 2017-06-12 21:47           ` Birnle
From: Birnle @ 2017-06-12 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: John Ankarström

Yes, John, thank you! Sometimes it is so easy … if you know it. Great.
Now I can export to Markdown and ODT directly.

@ 2017-06-12 23:13         ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2017-06-12 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Birnle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

The C-c n binding is not defined in org-mode though as far as I know. That
suggests it is something outside of org-mode doing that.

John

-----------------------------------

@ 2017-06-13  1:24           ` Birnle
From: Birnle @ 2017-06-13  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org; +Cc: John Kitchin

Yes, John, you are surely right. From the beginning I use the Prelude
Emacs distribution (http://batsov.com/prelude/) that comes with a bunch
of preinstalled packages, so I don’t know yet what is original
Emacs/Org and what is optional. So much to learn, so little time.

Even for a text editing professional like me (publishing manager,
foreign language typesetter, book producer, copy editor) Emacs is like
an almost undiscovered parallel universe. I try boldly to go where just
a few men have gone before …

So thank you all, group, for being patient with an Emacs novice like me.

Best,
Birnle

@ 2017-06-13  3:21         ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2017-06-13  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Birnle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, John Kitchin

On 2017-06-12, at 23:42, Birnle <birnle@gmx.de> wrote:

> Thank you, John, for your answer. And no, it’s much too early for me
> to be sure … But C-c n does actually indent each (first) line with
> whitespace according to the number of asterisks in the heading.
>
> The easiest and fastest solution is in fact deleting the leading
> whitespace in every line by replace-regexp (replace ^ + by nothing).

The easiest and fastest solution is probably to use delete-rectangle (or
rectangle-mark-mode and then DEL).

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski

* Re: How to get rid of first line indent?
@ 2017-06-13  3:26             ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2017-06-13  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Birnle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, John Kitchin

On 2017-06-13, at 03:24, Birnle <birnle@gmx.de> wrote:

> Yes, John, you are surely right. From the beginning I use the Prelude
> Emacs distribution (http://batsov.com/prelude/) that comes with
> a bunch of preinstalled packages, so I don’t know yet what is original
> Emacs/Org and what is optional. So much to learn, so little time.
>
> Even for a text editing professional like me (publishing manager,
> foreign language typesetter, book producer, copy editor) Emacs is like
> an almost undiscovered parallel universe. I try boldly to go where
> just a few men have gone before …
>
> So thank you all, group, for being patient with an Emacs novice like me.

I started (almost two decades ago...) with a vanilla Emacs.  (There was
nothing like "Prelude" back then, I guess.  Also, I had no internet
access (at home) until, like, ten years later...)

Also, being a student, I had much free time then.  I read most of the
Emacs manual.  That helped _a lot_.

BTW, Emacs absolutely rocks for copyediting (which I also happen to do),
since you can define lots of little commands to ease the repetitive
tasks.  And yes, you probably do need to learn Lisp to master Emacs.
Start with "An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp" by Robert
J. Chassell (evaluate the form (info "eintr")).

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski

@ 2017-06-13  7:09         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-06-13  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Monday, 12 Jun 2017 at 16:14, Birnle wrote:
> But I’ve read that it is possible to directly export to Markdown –
> that is the format I usually work with. By exporting an Org mode file
> these unnecessary spaces should be erased. I just have to figure out
> how to export to Markdown from Org mode … Do you know a good online
> How-to?

Check out the markdown section in the exporting part of the info manual
for org.  If you have the system installed properly, this should work:

  C-h i org RET m exporting RET m markdown RET

but it is a rather short section of the manual...

--

@ 2017-06-13  8:07           ` Birnle
From: Birnle @ 2017-06-13  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thank you, Marcin,

In fact, rectangle deletion doesn’t work since the text has over 700
header lines that are not indented. But replace-regexp works.

Best,
Birnle

@ 2017-06-17 10:14               ` Birnle
From: Birnle @ 2017-06-17 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sorry, Marcin,

Since your answer came in the other thread, I didn’t realize that three have answered my questions.

Thank you for your Manual and Lisp book tip. I’ll try to work through all of them. Another thousands of pages …

"Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh."
--Ecclesiastes 12,12 ESV

Best,
Birnle