emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* default value for org-capture-templates
@ 2018-12-28 16:17 Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2018-12-28 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Org-Mode Help

Hi,

A question came up on StackOverflow asking about how to use the default capture template (`Task`) in combination with user-defined templates: https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/46794/where-is-default-org-mode-capture-template-for-tasks-located

The default Task template is actually stored in the function `org-capture-select-template`. This is a bit surprising, and requires the user to manually transfer it to the the variable `org-capture-templates` if they want to keep it as one of their options.

Is there a reason not to set this built-in `Task` template as the default value of `org-capture-templates`? That would provide the user with a transparent way of keeping it as an option, modifying it, or removing it, as they prefer, through the usual customize interface.

I can put together a patch to do this if I haven't overlooked a problem this would create.

Best,

Tyler

--
plantarum.ca

* Re: default value for org-capture-templates
@ 2018-12-29 13:34 ` Thomas Shannon
From: Thomas Shannon @ 2018-12-29 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tyler Smith; +Cc: Emacs Org-Mode Help

In fairness, the formula for the default template is given in the description of the function and is, therefore, in the information when the user looks for help on how to customize this variable.  There is also a reasonably good example, though not the exact same template, in the info file.  So the way it is handled now isn’t unreasonable.

Nevertheless, I personally would support this change.  It would make it that much easier.

Tom S.

@ 2018-12-29 13:41 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-12-29 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tyler Smith; +Cc: Emacs Org-Mode Help

Hello,

"Tyler Smith" <tyler@plantarum.ca> writes:

> A question came up on StackOverflow asking about how to use the
> default capture template (`Task`) in combination with user-defined
> templates:
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/46794/where-is-default-org-mode-capture-template-for-tasks-located
>
> The default Task template is actually stored in the function
> `org-capture-select-template`. This is a bit surprising, and requires
> the user to manually transfer it to the the variable
> `org-capture-templates` if they want to keep it as one of their
> options.
>
> Is there a reason not to set this built-in `Task` template as the
> default value of `org-capture-templates`? That would provide the user
> with a transparent way of keeping it as an option, modifying it, or
> removing it, as they prefer, through the usual customize interface.
>
> I can put together a patch to do this if I haven't overlooked
> a problem this would create.

I think you can go ahead. Thank you.

Have you signed FSF papers?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: default value for org-capture-templates
@ 2018-12-31 14:51   ` Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2018-12-31 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Emacs Org-Mode Help

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018, at 8:41 AM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> "Tyler Smith" <tyler@plantarum.ca> writes:
>
> > I can put together a patch to do this if I haven't overlooked
> > a problem this would create.
>
> I think you can go ahead. Thank you.
>
> Have you signed FSF papers?

Not yet. I just sent the request to assign@gnu.org.