* Regarding notmuch and Fedora 16
@ 2012-01-03 22:09 Peter Portante
From: Peter Portante @ 2012-01-03 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello folks,

I am interested in using notmuch from within emacs, but have not been
able to get the latest version of notmuch (0.10.2) to compile under
Fedora 16:

    [pportant@frodo notmuch-0.10.2]$ make
    Use "make V=1" to see the verbose compile lines.
    CC -O2 debugger.o
    In file included from debugger.c:21:0:
    notmuch-client.h:72:5: error: unknown type name 'GMimeSignatureValidity'
    notmuch-client.h:86:5: error: unknown type name 'GMimeCipherContext'
    make: *** [debugger.o] Error 1

It appears that with GMime v2.6 (from v2.4), a change was made to remove
the use of GMimeSignatureValidity in favor of GMimeSignatureList, and
renamed GMimeCipherContext to GMimeCryptoContext.

Am I doing something wrong here? Using the wrong version of notmuch
sources with Fedora 16? Or do I need to get gmime 2.4 installed? I have
gmime.x86_64 2.5.8-1.fc16 installed, and it appears that provides the
v2.6 include files for gmime (go figure).

Could there be work already done to solve this?

Thanks, -peter

* Re: Regarding notmuch and Fedora 16
@ 2012-01-03 22:21 ` Jameson Graef Rollins
From: Jameson Graef Rollins @ 2012-01-03 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Portante, notmuch

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 17:09:39 -0500, Peter Portante <peter.a.portante@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in using notmuch from within emacs, but have not been
> able to get the latest version of notmuch (0.10.2) to compile under
> Fedora 16:
>
>     [pportant@frodo notmuch-0.10.2]$ make
>     Use "make V=1" to see the verbose compile lines.
>     CC -O2 debugger.o
>     In file included from debugger.c:21:0:
>     notmuch-client.h:72:5: error: unknown type name 'GMimeSignatureValidity'
>     notmuch-client.h:86:5: error: unknown type name 'GMimeCipherContext'
>     make: *** [debugger.o] Error 1
>
> It appears that with GMime v2.6 (from v2.4), a change was made to remove
> the use of GMimeSignatureValidity in favor of GMimeSignatureList, and
> renamed GMimeCipherContext to GMimeCryptoContext.

Hey, Peter.  Unfortunately notmuch is not yet compatible with gmime 2.6.
gmime 2.5, which is apparently what's in Fedora 16, is the experimental
release of the 2.6 interface.

Updating notmuch to work with gmime 2.6 has been on the todo list for a
while now, and it's obviously getting more urgent.  I've been planning
on looking into it at it as soon as I can, but if anyone else wants to
take a crack at it, I'll be happy to review patches.

jamie.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: Regarding notmuch and Fedora 16
@ 2012-01-03 22:36   ` Peter Portante
From: Peter Portante @ 2012-01-03 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jameson Graef Rollins; +Cc: notmuch

Is there a good test suite for notmuch?

I'll take a crack at it using the latest 0.11 sources and see how far I get.

Thanks, -peter

@ 2012-01-03 22:36 ` Darren McGuicken
From: Darren McGuicken @ 2012-01-03 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Portante, notmuch

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 17:09:39 -0500, Peter Portante <peter.a.portante@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in using notmuch from within emacs, but have not been
> able to get the latest version of notmuch (0.10.2) to compile under
> Fedora 16.

Looks like we have a growing Fedora community, yay! :-)

And it's nothing you're doing wrong, per my reply to the other thread
F16 is using the current development version of gmime which has API
differences with the stable version 2.4.  The patch that exists isn't
part of standard notmuch since it in turn breaks 2.4 compatibility.

What's the right way to handle this?  I see 2.6 tarballs on gnome... is
2.6 officially out there and stable?

* Re: Regarding notmuch and Fedora 16
@ 2012-01-03 22:40     ` Jameson Graef Rollins
From: Jameson Graef Rollins @ 2012-01-03 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Portante; +Cc: notmuch

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 17:36:32 -0500, Peter Portante <peter.a.portante@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a good test suite for notmuch?

Hey, Peter.  Yes, there is a very good, extensive test suite for
notmuch.  It can be run with "make test"

@ 2012-01-12 12:31   ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2012-01-12 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren McGuicken, Peter Portante, notmuch

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 22:36:59 +0000, Darren McGuicken <mailing-notmuch@fernseed.info> wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 17:09:39 -0500, Peter Portante <peter.a.portante@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am interested in using notmuch from within emacs, but have not been
> > able to get the latest version of notmuch (0.10.2) to compile under
> > Fedora 16.
>
> Looks like we have a growing Fedora community, yay! :-)
>
> And it's nothing you're doing wrong, per my reply to the other thread
> F16 is using the current development version of gmime which has API
> differences with the stable version 2.4.  The patch that exists isn't
> part of standard notmuch since it in turn breaks 2.4 compatibility.
>
> What's the right way to handle this?  I see 2.6 tarballs on gnome... is
> 2.6 officially out there and stable?

Some conditional compilation by #if(def)ing some *GMIME* macro...

While doing something else I passed by these messages:

http://www.mail-archive.com/notmuch@notmuchmail.org/msg05829.html

These seems to provide valuable information to anyone attempting
to compile notmuch with gmime 2.5+

Tomi

* Re: Regarding notmuch and Fedora 16
@ 2012-02-27  8:42     ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2012-02-27  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila; +Cc: mutt-kz, notmuch

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 02:31:39PM +0200, Tomi Ollila wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 22:36:59 +0000, Darren McGuicken <mailing-notmuch@fernseed.info> wrote:
> > On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 17:09:39 -0500, Peter Portante <peter.a.portante@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I am interested in using notmuch from within emacs, but have not been
> > > able to get the latest version of notmuch (0.10.2) to compile under
> > > Fedora 16.
> >
> > Looks like we have a growing Fedora community, yay! :-)
> >
> > And it's nothing you're doing wrong, per my reply to the other thread
> > F16 is using the current development version of gmime which has API
> > differences with the stable version 2.4.  The patch that exists isn't
> > part of standard notmuch since it in turn breaks 2.4 compatibility.
> >
> > What's the right way to handle this?  I see 2.6 tarballs on gnome... is
> > 2.6 officially out there and stable?
>
> Some conditional compilation by #if(def)ing some *GMIME* macro...
>
> While doing something else I passed by these messages:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/notmuch@notmuchmail.org/msg05829.html
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=269819
>
> These seems to provide valuable information to anyone attempting
> to compile notmuch with gmime 2.5+

It seems that we have officially notmuch 0.11 in Fedora 17/rawhide, if
you have the latest stable Fedora 16, then you can use:

  yum --enablerepo=rawhide install notmuch notmuch-devel

to get:

 $ rpm -q notmuch gmime
 notmuch-0.11-1.fc17.x86_64
 gmime-2.5.8-1.fc16.x86_64

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com

* Re: Regarding notmuch and Fedora 16
@ 2012-02-27  9:21       ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2012-02-27  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Zak; +Cc: mutt-kz, notmuch

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:42:36 +0100, Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> wrote:

> It seems that we have officially notmuch 0.11 in Fedora 17/rawhide, if
> you have the latest stable Fedora 16, then you can use:
>
>   yum --enablerepo=rawhide install notmuch notmuch-devel
>
> to get:
>
>  $ rpm -q notmuch gmime
>  notmuch-0.11-1.fc17.x86_64
>  gmime-2.5.8-1.fc16.x86_64

Great thing -- I'm just wary of using that gmime version with
notmuch: check id:"1329840343-10026-1-git-send-email-schnouki@schnouki.net"

So, so far I'll run notmuch on Fedora 16 using gmime-2.4.25

(Well, I also use notmuch 0.11.1+239~g4d2d96b ;)

>     Karel

Tomi