* search order
@ 2013-08-05 14:45 Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2013-08-05 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi,

I see something strange when I do a search with M-x notmuch-search from
the notmuch-hello vs hitting "s" on the notmuch-hello buffer.

If I startup notmuch and then do a M-x notmuch-search and then *, I see
the messages with the newest on the top. But if I instead, startup
notmuch and then hit "s", I see that the new messages are at the
bottom. The value of notmuch-search-oldest-first is t.

Ramakrishnan

* Re: search order
@ 2013-08-18 14:32 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2013-08-18 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan, notmuch

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <ram@rkrishnan.org> writes:

> If I startup notmuch and then do a M-x notmuch-search and then *, I see
> the messages with the newest on the top. But if I instead, startup
> notmuch and then hit "s", I see that the new messages are at the
> bottom. The value of notmuch-search-oldest-first is t.

I had a quick look at this, and I think the issue is as follows:
notmuch-search takes an extra parameter for the order, and does not
directly look at notmuch-search-oldest-first.  notmuch-hello-search
works better in this case because it calls notmuch-search with
notmuch-search-oldest-first as one of it's parameters. The simplest
solution would be to make another helper function like

(defun notmuch-search-interactive ()
  (interactive)
  (notmuch-search nil notmuch-search-oldest-first))

I don't know if notmuch-search should remain interactive, or perhaps be
renamed and have interactive removed (with the new helper replacing it).
I guess that might break some user code.

* Re: search order
@ 2013-09-10 11:23 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2013-09-10 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan, notmuch

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <ram@rkrishnan.org> writes:

> If I startup notmuch and then do a M-x notmuch-search and then *, I see
> the messages with the newest on the top. But if I instead, startup
> notmuch and then hit "s", I see that the new messages are at the
> bottom. The value of notmuch-search-oldest-first is t.

This should be fixed in the latest git master. Thanks for the report,
and thanks to Austin for the fix.

* Re: search order
@ 2013-09-10 14:28   ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2013-09-10 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <ram@rkrishnan.org> writes:
>

>> If I startup notmuch and then do a M-x notmuch-search and then *, I see
>> the messages with the newest on the top. But if I instead, startup
>> notmuch and then hit "s", I see that the new messages are at the
>> bottom. The value of notmuch-search-oldest-first is t.
>>

> This should be fixed in the latest git master. Thanks for the report,
> and thanks to Austin for the fix.

:) Thanks.