* Bug (?) difference 24.1 and 23.3.1
@ 2012-08-03 11:03 Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2012-08-03 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I didn't find a reference to this bug, but before digging in deeper I'll
ask if this is a duplicate.  When viewing the same email message using
emacs 24.1 and 23.3.1 I get an error in 24.1.

The error is:
mm-inline-text-html: Symbol's value as variable is void:
gnus-inhibit-images

Notmuch is version 0.13 from the distribution tar file.

The email has both text/plain and text/html.  Old 23.3.1 color codes the
text/plain links, and kind of renders the html.  New 24.1 does not color
code the text, only displays [ text/html ], and none of the html
contents.  Many of the notmuch view commands fail, but "q" works and
mail can be skipped.

It looks like a missing dependency of some sort to me, or may some
functions got renamed.

R Horn
rjhorn@alum.mit.edu

* Re: Bug (?) difference 24.1 and 23.3.1
@ 2012-08-03 13:02 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2012-08-03 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Horn, notmuch

Robert Horn <rjhorn@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> I didn't find a reference to this bug, but before digging in deeper I'll
> ask if this is a duplicate.  When viewing the same email message using
> emacs 24.1 and 23.3.1 I get an error in 24.1.
>
> The error is:
> mm-inline-text-html: Symbol's value as variable is void:
> gnus-inhibit-images

There is some discussion in the thread starting at
id:"1324309559-7993-1-git-send-email-dme@dme.org"; basically it seems to
be a gnus bug, but maybe we should work around it some how.  It was
supposed to be fixed upstream in gnus, but apparently not.

* Re: Bug (?) difference 24.1 and 23.3.1
@ 2012-08-03 13:41   ` Robert Horn
From: Robert Horn @ 2012-08-03 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
> There is some discussion in the thread starting at
> id:"1324309559-7993-1-git-send-email-dme@dme.org"; basically it seems to
> be a gnus bug, but maybe we should work around it some how.  It was
> supposed to be fixed upstream in gnus, but apparently not.

I can wait on gnus fixes, since I've got both 23.3.3 and 24.1 configured
to switch easily.  For most packages, I prefer to live on the official
releases rather than keep track of all the little updates.

It might be interesting to look at a more general fix that would manage
all kinds of parsing failures in the body view.  I've had some failures
with attached .ics files that result in the same kind of problem.  Most
of the viewing commands end up not working, but since "q" works that's
usually not a problem.  The problem seems to trigger when a mail
component that the viewer expects to display fails during parsing for
display.

@ 2012-08-03 16:54 ` Svend Sorensen
From: Svend Sorensen @ 2012-08-03 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Robert Horn <rjhorn@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> I didn't find a reference to this bug, but before digging in deeper I'll
> ask if this is a duplicate.  When viewing the same email message using
> emacs 24.1 and 23.3.1 I get an error in 24.1.
>
> The error is:
> mm-inline-text-html: Symbol's value as variable is void:
> gnus-inhibit-images
>
> Notmuch is version 0.13 from the distribution tar file.
>
> The email has both text/plain and text/html.  Old 23.3.1 color codes the
> text/plain links, and kind of renders the html.  New 24.1 does not color
> code the text, only displays [ text/html ], and none of the html
> contents.  Many of the notmuch view commands fail, but "q" works and
> mail can be skipped.
>
> It looks like a missing dependency of some sort to me, or may some
> functions got renamed.

I was also getting an error about gnus-inhibit-images when running emacs
24. Adding (require 'gnus-art) to my emacs config fixed the problem.

http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2012/008405.html

Svend

* Re: Bug (?) difference 24.1 and 23.3.1
@ 2012-08-31 14:06   ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2012-08-31 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Svend Sorensen, notmuch

On Fri, Aug 03 2012, Svend Sorensen <svend@ciffer.net> wrote:

> I was also getting an error about gnus-inhibit-images when running emacs
> 24. Adding (require 'gnus-art) to my emacs config fixed the problem.

Where is your emacs24 from? From Debian sid?

David has some gnus-inhibit-images related tests failing on his
system and he is using emacs24 from debian sid. My
gnus-inhibit-images related emacs24 tests don't fail (I've compiled
emacs 24.1 & emacs 24.2 from source). Also buildbot at
http://notmuch.hocat.ca/builders/master-emacs24/builds/173
have now successful build (we assume it uses emacs24 from gentoo
-- until Tom verifies this).

> http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2012/008405.html
>
> Svend

Tomi

* Re: Bug (?) difference 24.1 and 23.3.1
@ 2012-08-31 14:45     ` Daniel Bergey
From: Daniel Bergey @ 2012-08-31 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila, Svend Sorensen, notmuch

Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 03 2012, Svend Sorensen <svend@ciffer.net> wrote:
>

>> I was also getting an error about gnus-inhibit-images when running emacs
>> 24. Adding (require 'gnus-art) to my emacs config fixed the problem.
>
> Where is your emacs24 from? From Debian sid?

I've been having the gnus-inhibit-images problem with emacs24 from
Debian sid.  (require 'guns-art) appears to have fixed it, and may also
have fixed the more serious problem that the property
notmuch-message-extent was not being set.

Now I just have to get used to pictures in my email....

bergey

* Re: Bug (?) difference 24.1 and 23.3.1
@ 2012-09-01 21:07       ` Dmitrijs Ledkovs
From: Dmitrijs Ledkovs @ 2012-09-01 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bergey; +Cc: notmuch

On 31 August 2012 15:45, Daniel Bergey <bergey@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Now I just have to get used to pictures in my email....

I understand how disturbing that might be.

Welcome to 2012... at least it's not full html5 & css3 animations.
Maybe emacs will support that in couple of years.

I have customized that functions with an empty one, so I don't see any
pictures, but all of my email works.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.

* Re: Bug (?) difference 24.1 and 23.3.1
@ 2012-09-04 19:04     ` Svend Sorensen
From: Svend Sorensen @ 2012-09-04 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila, notmuch

Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 03 2012, Svend Sorensen <svend@ciffer.net> wrote:
>

>> I was also getting an error about gnus-inhibit-images when running emacs
>> 24. Adding (require 'gnus-art) to my emacs config fixed the problem.
>
> Where is your emacs24 from? From Debian sid?

I was using the emacs-snapshot package on Debian squeeze when I ran into
this problem. I am now using the emacs-snapshot package on Debian
testing (wheezy).

http://emacs.naquadah.org/

Svend