* miraculous from: field
@ 2012-06-20 11:25 David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2012-06-20 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Dear All,

could someone give a hint?

I have an opened mail message. When I press 'r' to reply, a new mail
buffer is opened and the 'From' field is correctly filled with
'david@belohrad.ch'.

When on the same message I press however 'f' to forward the message, new
buffer opens, but this time the 'From' field contains incorrectly
'belohrad@bepc12494.cern.ch', which is clearly a composite of my login
name and FQHN.

Why that difference and what can I do to mitigate this?

thanks

david

* Re: miraculous from: field
@ 2012-06-20 11:33 ` Jani Nikula
From: Jani Nikula @ 2012-06-20 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Belohrad; +Cc: notmuch

On Jun 20, 2012 2:25 PM, "David Belohrad" <david@belohrad.ch> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> could someone give a hint?
>
> I have an opened mail message. When I press 'r' to reply, a new mail
> buffer is opened and the 'From' field is correctly filled with
> 'david@belohrad.ch'.
>
> When on the same message I press however 'f' to forward the message, new
> buffer opens, but this time the 'From' field contains incorrectly
> 'belohrad@bepc12494.cern.ch', which is clearly a composite of my login
> name and FQHN.
>
> Why that difference and what can I do to mitigate this?

The reply template comes from 'notmuch reply' cli command, while the
forwarding is internal to the emacs ui. I don't have any quick solutions,
but perhaps in the long run we should do the forwarding template in the cli
too.

> thanks
>
> david

* Re: miraculous from: field
@ 2012-06-20 19:35 ` Austin Clements
From: Austin Clements @ 2012-06-20 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Belohrad; +Cc: notmuch

Quoth David Belohrad on Jun 20 at  1:25 pm:

> Dear All,
>
> could someone give a hint?
>
> I have an opened mail message. When I press 'r' to reply, a new mail
> buffer is opened and the 'From' field is correctly filled with
> 'david@belohrad.ch'.
>
> When on the same message I press however 'f' to forward the message, new
> buffer opens, but this time the 'From' field contains incorrectly
> 'belohrad@bepc12494.cern.ch', which is clearly a composite of my login
> name and FQHN.
>
> Why that difference and what can I do to mitigate this?

Try setting Emacs's user-mail-address variable, e.g., using
  M-x customize-variable<RET>user-mail-address<RET>
You won't get the full from address guessing logic used for replies,
but it's not obvious this is appropriate for forwarding.

We should probably use the user's primary address from the notmuch
configuration for this for the sake of consistency, even though
user-mail-address is the more Emacsy thing to use.

> thanks
>
> david

* Re: miraculous from: field
@ 2012-06-21  3:57   ` Adam Wolfe Gordon
From: Adam Wolfe Gordon @ 2012-06-21  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Nikula; +Cc: notmuch

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 5:33 AM, Jani Nikula <jani@nikula.org> wrote:
> The reply template comes from 'notmuch reply' cli command, while the
> forwarding is internal to the emacs ui. I don't have any quick solutions,
> but perhaps in the long run we should do the forwarding template in the cli
> too.

I think this is the right approach. Someone suggested a while ago that
we have a notmuch compose, which would do new message creation (for
frontends that can't do it themselves), reply, and forward in one
place. It would probably support raw and JSON like the current reply
does.

Something I'll do if I find some time, but would be happy to see
someone else work on :-).

-- Adam

* Re: miraculous from: field
@ 2013-05-08 20:00     ` Amadeusz Żołnowski