* backing up tags
@ 2021-03-26 13:51 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2021-03-26 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I do not include my (huge, more than 5GB) notmuch database in backups,
as it can be recreated from the email files… with one exception: tags.
So I’m wondering if there is a way to backup these tags (and only the
tags) with the hope it would be much smaller. Do you know ways to do it?

Best,

Alan

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: backing up tags
@ 2021-03-26 14:31 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2021-03-26 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: notmuch

Hello,

On Fri, Mar 26 2021, Alan Schmitt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I do not include my (huge, more than 5GB) notmuch database in backups,
> as it can be recreated from the email files… with one exception: tags.
> So I’m wondering if there is a way to backup these tags (and only the
> tags) with the hope it would be much smaller. Do you know ways to do it?

I believe that "notmuch dump" is supposed to do exactly that.  At least
I hope so because that is how I am backing up my email tags :-)

Martin

* Re: backing up tags
@ 2021-03-26 14:35   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2021-03-26 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: notmuch

On 2021-03-26 15:31, Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 26 2021, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I do not include my (huge, more than 5GB) notmuch database in backups,
>> as it can be recreated from the email files… with one exception: tags.
>> So I’m wondering if there is a way to backup these tags (and only the
>> tags) with the hope it would be much smaller. Do you know ways to do it?
>>

> I believe that "notmuch dump" is supposed to do exactly that.  At least
> I hope so because that is how I am backing up my email tags :-)

Thank you for the suggestion, I’ll have a look. Someone also privately
suggested https://framagit.org/manu/notmuch-tools, which can be used for
tags synchronization.

Thanks again,

Alan