* emacs email appears empty
@ 2011-09-29  1:21 Brian May
From: Brian May @ 2011-09-29  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello,

Have seen several cases now where the message appears blank in the
emacs interface. With nothing but the headers.

Pushing Shift+V shows the entire raw message. Nothing special, just a
plain text email without any attachments.

Any ideas?

Thanks
--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>

* Re: emacs email appears empty
@ 2011-09-29  1:22 ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 2011-09-29  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

On 29 September 2011 11:21, Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> Have seen several cases now where the message appears blank in the
> emacs interface. With nothing but the headers.
>
> Pushing Shift+V shows the entire raw message. Nothing special, just a
> plain text email without any attachments.

Also replying to this email quotes it correctly. Weird.
--

@ 2011-09-29 11:05 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2011-09-29 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian May, notmuch

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:21:21 +1000, Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Have seen several cases now where the message appears blank in the
> emacs interface. With nothing but the headers.
>
> Pushing Shift+V shows the entire raw message. Nothing special, just a
> plain text email without any attachments.

Any chance you could share such a message with us?

* Re: emacs email appears empty
@ 2011-09-29 11:57   ` Patrick Totzke
From: Patrick Totzke @ 2011-09-29 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, Brian May, notmuch

Quoting David Bremner (2011-09-29 12:05:37)
>On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:21:21 +1000, Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Have seen several cases now where the message appears blank in the
>> emacs interface. With nothing but the headers.
>>
>> Pushing Shift+V shows the entire raw message. Nothing special, just a
>> plain text email without any attachments.
>
>Any chance you could share such a message with us?

I have seen something like this using alot but thought i'd be an error in my code
(did not test with emacs). It occurs with mails send as google sholar alerts.
/p

* Re: emacs email appears empty
@ 2011-09-29 12:49     ` Blake Sweeney
From: Blake Sweeney @ 2011-09-29 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Totzke, David Bremner, Brian May, notmuch

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:57:37 +0100, Patrick Totzke <patricktotzke@googlemail.com> wrote:
Non-text part: multipart/mixed

> Quoting David Bremner (2011-09-29 12:05:37)
> >On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:21:21 +1000, Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Have seen several cases now where the message appears blank in the
> >> emacs interface. With nothing but the headers.
> >>
> >> Pushing Shift+V shows the entire raw message. Nothing special, just a
> >> plain text email without any attachments.
> >
> >Any chance you could share such a message with us?

> I have seen something like this using alot but thought i'd be an error in my code
> (did not test with emacs). It occurs with mails send as google sholar alerts.
> /p

I've seen something like this happen in the vim client as well. I've had it
occur with very few messages sent from an iPhone though.

* Re: emacs email appears empty
@ 2011-10-01  0:31 ` Jameson Graef Rollins
From: Jameson Graef Rollins @ 2011-10-01  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian May, notmuch

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:21:21 +1000, Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> Have seen several cases now where the message appears blank in the
> emacs interface. With nothing but the headers.
>
> Pushing Shift+V shows the entire raw message. Nothing special, just a
> plain text email without any attachments.

> Any ideas?

I'll put money on these bad messages all originating from Apple mail
clients.  Apple mail clients have this horrible habit of producing
completely broken mime structure.  As an example, this is the mime
structure of a message I received with the X-Mailer header "Apple Mail
(2.1084)":

┬╴ multipart/alternative
├╴ text/plain
└┬╴ multipart/mixed
 ├╴ text/html
 ├╴ application/msword (attachment)
 ├╴ text/html
 ├╴ application/msword (attachment)
 ├╴ text/html
 ├╴ application/msword (attachment)
 └╴ text/html

Notice what's going on here: the body part is "multipart/alternative",
but the alternative to the "text/plain" part is "multipart/mixed", which
happens to include all of the attachments.  That's just plain wrong.

If your problem is because the content is not being displayed because
it's hidden in a multipart/alternative part for which there is a
content-less primary alternate, you might try setting
notmuch-show-all-multipart/alternative-parts in the your emacs
customization.  It's not elegant, but it might help.

hth.

jamie.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: emacs email appears empty
@ 2011-10-10 23:02   ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 2011-10-10 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch

On 29 September 2011 21:05, David Bremner <david@tethera.net> wrote:
> Any chance you could share such a message with us?

Unfortunately the emails with this problem are private, I probably
shouldn't repost without getting permission first from the sender.

I think it might be emails sent with Zimbra web interface. Maybe the
"----- Original Message -----" text? At least this is what the emails
have in common. Unfortunately, my test messages all work fine. There
is a copy below anyway.

I also have attached an email with nothing but the signature. This
email comes out completely blank without any option to see the
signature. Not sure if this is expected or not.

Fingers crossed gmail isn't going to mess with the line formatting...

=== cut ===
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:44:29 +1100 (EST)
From: Brian May <brian@vpac.org>
To: Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>
Cc: Brian May <brian@vpac.org>
Subject: Re: test 2

Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:40:27 +1100
Subject: test only
From: Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>
To: Brian May <brian@vpac.org>

@ 2011-10-10 23:14     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2011-10-10 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian May; +Cc: notmuch

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:02:48 +1100, Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> I also have attached an email with nothing but the signature. This
> email comes out completely blank without any option to see the
> signature. Not sure if this is expected or not.

I can confirm the latter is a bug in 0.9~rc2

David