* Notmuch Emacs: tab completion for tags in Fcc:
@ 2017-12-20  4:10 Alex Abdo
From: Alex Abdo @ 2017-12-20  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Notmuch Mail

All,

One small suggestion for Notmuch Emacs: it would be nice if there were
tab completion for tags (and, if possible, folders) in the Fcc header
when composing messages in Emacs.

There is already tab completion for tags in a number of other places,
but for some reason, there isn’t tab completion in the Fcc header.

I’m not a programmer by trade (and in my limited tinkering, I
haven’t touched Lisp or Elisp), but I’d be happy to give it a shot
if someone pointed me to the right location in the code.

Thanks,
Alex

* Re: Notmuch Emacs: tab completion for tags in Fcc:
@ 2017-12-21 14:07 ` Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2017-12-21 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Abdo, Notmuch Mail

Alex Abdo <alex@alexabdo.com> writes:

> All,
>
> One small suggestion for Notmuch Emacs: it would be nice if there were
> tab completion for tags (and, if possible, folders) in the Fcc header
> when composing messages in Emacs.
>
> There is already tab completion for tags in a number of other places,
> but for some reason, there isn’t tab completion in the Fcc header.

The reason is maybe that this place don't often vary much. But there is
a configuration variable for this, notmuch-fcc-dirs, which see. Put
point in the beginning of the variable name here and say C-h v.

I have it set like this:

(setq notmuch-fcc-dirs
      '(("tomasn@kth\\.se" . "kth/Sent")
        ("tom\\(asn\\|nor\\)@posteo\\.\\(net\\|de\\)" . "posteo/Sent")))

A list of (regex . folder), and depending on the address I am sending
from I get a copy in the specified folder. I would probably find it
annoying if I had to write it each time, even with tab completion.

* Re: Notmuch Emacs: tab completion for tags in Fcc:
@ 2017-12-21 17:40   ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2017-12-21 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Nordin, Alex Abdo, Notmuch Mail

On Thu 2017-12-21 15:07:32 +0100, Tomas Nordin wrote:
> Alex Abdo <alex@alexabdo.com> writes:
>> One small suggestion for Notmuch Emacs: it would be nice if there were
>> tab completion for tags (and, if possible, folders) in the Fcc header
>> when composing messages in Emacs.
>>
>> There is already tab completion for tags in a number of other places,
>> but for some reason, there isn’t tab completion in the Fcc header.
>
> The reason is maybe that this place don't often vary much. But there is
> a configuration variable for this, notmuch-fcc-dirs, which see. Put
> point in the beginning of the variable name here and say C-h v.
>
> I have it set like this:
>
> (setq notmuch-fcc-dirs
>       '(("tomasn@kth\\.se" . "kth/Sent")
>         ("tom\\(asn\\|nor\\)@posteo\\.\\(net\\|de\\)" . "posteo/Sent")))
>
> A list of (regex . folder), and depending on the address I am sending
> from I get a copy in the specified folder. I would probably find it
> annoying if I had to write it each time, even with tab completion.

I don't think Alex is asking about tab completion of nomtuch-fcc-dirs
itself -- he's talking about tab completion during message composition
of the Fcc: header line.

So that would be the equivalent of tab-completing "kth/Sent" or
"posteo/Sent" in your examples above, and including in that tab
completion values from the set of known tags if the user is tabbing
after having entered a "+" or "-" symbol.

Alex, please correct me if i've confused anything about your feature
request.

   --dkg

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Notmuch Emacs: tab completion for tags in Fcc:
@ 2017-12-21 21:20     ` Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2017-12-21 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor, Alex Abdo, Notmuch Mail

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> writes:

> On Thu 2017-12-21 15:07:32 +0100, Tomas Nordin wrote:
>> Alex Abdo <alex@alexabdo.com> writes:
>>> One small suggestion for Notmuch Emacs: it would be nice if there were
>>> tab completion for tags (and, if possible, folders) in the Fcc header
>>> when composing messages in Emacs.
>>>
>>> There is already tab completion for tags in a number of other places,
>>> but for some reason, there isn’t tab completion in the Fcc header.
>>
>> The reason is maybe that this place don't often vary much. But there is
>> a configuration variable for this, notmuch-fcc-dirs, which see. Put
>> point in the beginning of the variable name here and say C-h v.
>>
>> I have it set like this:
>>
>> (setq notmuch-fcc-dirs
>>       '(("tomasn@kth\\.se" . "kth/Sent")
>>         ("tom\\(asn\\|nor\\)@posteo\\.\\(net\\|de\\)" . "posteo/Sent")))
>>
>> A list of (regex . folder), and depending on the address I am sending
>> from I get a copy in the specified folder. I would probably find it
>> annoying if I had to write it each time, even with tab completion.
>
> I don't think Alex is asking about tab completion of nomtuch-fcc-dirs
> itself -- he's talking about tab completion during message composition
> of the Fcc: header line.
>
> So that would be the equivalent of tab-completing "kth/Sent" or
> "posteo/Sent" in your examples above, and including in that tab
> completion values from the set of known tags if the user is tabbing
> after having entered a "+" or "-" symbol.

I think that was also my understanding and took the risk of not
answering the right question. I just didn't think it is common to store
copies of sent mails in different places, but why not?

The tagging feature here is news for me, I have that done by running a
postsynchook script from offlineimap, (adding a sent tag I mean). So it
means I could have "kth/Sent +sent -inbox" as string for example?

* Re: Notmuch Emacs: tab completion for tags in Fcc:
@ 2017-12-21 21:23       ` Alex Abdo
From: Alex Abdo @ 2017-12-21 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Nordin; +Cc: Daniel Kahn Gillmor, Notmuch Mail

On 21 Dec 2017, at 16:20, Tomas Nordin wrote:

> I think that was also my understanding and took the risk of not
> answering the right question. I just didn't think it is common to store
> copies of sent mails in different places, but why not?
>
> The tagging feature here is news for me, I have that done by running a
> postsynchook script from offlineimap, (adding a sent tag I mean). So it
> means I could have "kth/Sent +sent -inbox" as string for example?

dkg explained my thinking accurately. I don’t personally use the Fcc header routinely to change where sent mail is stored, but I do frequently use it to tag outgoing mail. And yes, you can add “+sent -inbox” to the header. I set my Fcc header by default to include “-inbox -unread”, but when adding other tags, it would be nice to be able to take advantage of tab completion.

* Re: Notmuch Emacs: tab completion for tags in Fcc:
@ 2017-12-21 23:23         ` Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2017-12-21 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Abdo; +Cc: Daniel Kahn Gillmor, Notmuch Mail

Alex Abdo <alex@alexabdo.com> writes:

> dkg explained my thinking accurately. I don’t personally use the Fcc header routinely to change where sent mail is stored, but I do frequently use it to tag outgoing mail. And yes, you can add “+sent -inbox” to the header. I set my Fcc header by default to include “-inbox -unread”, but when adding other tags, it would be nice to be able to take advantage of tab completion.

Ok, I understand now. I never knew about that feature, now I might start
using it, the tagging that is. And yes, then tab completion could be
nice.

* Re: Notmuch Emacs: tab completion for tags in Fcc:
@ 2017-12-23 14:15 ` Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2017-12-23 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Notmuch Mail

Hi Alex,
* Alex Abdo <alex@alexabdo.com> [2017-12-19; 23:10]:
> All,
>
> One small suggestion for Notmuch Emacs: it would be nice if there were
> tab completion for tags (and, if possible, folders) in the Fcc header
> when composing messages in Emacs.
>
> There is already tab completion for tags in a number of other places,
> but for some reason, there isn’t tab completion in the Fcc header.

I also agree this would be a very helpful feature.  I suggested
tagging with the same "k" key combos as in notmuch-show in
id:87shgtgiux.fsf@len

For the time being I use abbrevs as workaround:

(notmuch-message-mode-abbrev-table)

"kkt"          3    "-todo"
"kkw"          3    "-waiting"
"kt"           6    "+todo"
"kw"           5    "+waiting"

Ciao; Gregor
--
 -... --- .-. . -.. ..--.. ...-.-

* Re: Notmuch Emacs: tab completion for tags in Fcc:
@ 2017-12-23 15:42   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2017-12-23 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Zattler, Notmuch Mail

Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi Alex,
> * Alex Abdo <alex@alexabdo.com> [2017-12-19; 23:10]:
>> All,
>>
>> One small suggestion for Notmuch Emacs: it would be nice if there were
>> tab completion for tags (and, if possible, folders) in the Fcc header
>> when composing messages in Emacs.
>>
>> There is already tab completion for tags in a number of other places,
>> but for some reason, there isn’t tab completion in the Fcc header.
>
> I also agree this would be a very helpful feature.  I suggested
> tagging with the same "k" key combos as in notmuch-show in
> id:87shgtgiux.fsf@len

I don't think it's really possible to have k bound to something other
than self-insert-command in notmuch-message-mode. I guess you could bind
some prefix key, but then the key sequences start to get pretty long.

"C-c C-f k k t" is the same length as -todo