* Github an licensing
@ 2017-03-04 11:35 Mark Walters
From: Mark Walters @ 2017-03-04 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Dear All

On irc rlb pointed me to
https://joeyh.name/blog/entry/removing_everything_from_github/

IANAL so I don't know whether it is a real problem, a hypothetical
problem or not a problem.

My guess is that it can't affect the main notmuch license as the bulk of
notmuch's copyright is owned by people not responsible for the github
mirror (*), but it might mean that those of us responsible for the mirror are
illegally posting notmuch's code.

Does anyone have any views on this, and whether we should carry on
maintaining the github mirror?

Best wishes

Mark

* Re: Github an licensing
@ 2017-03-04 17:31 ` Mark Walters
From: Mark Walters @ 2017-03-04 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

> On irc rlb pointed me to
> https://joeyh.name/blog/entry/removing_everything_from_github/
>
> IANAL so I don't know whether it is a real problem, a hypothetical
> problem or not a problem.

I got a couple of links sent to me privately which look relevant:

 * https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13767373
 * https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13766933

(hacker threads, but from people claiming to be lawyers)

Best wishes

Mark

* Re: Github an licensing
@ 2017-03-18 13:31   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2017-03-18 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Walters, notmuch

Mark Walters <markwalters1009@gmail.com> writes:

>> On irc rlb pointed me to
>> https://joeyh.name/blog/entry/removing_everything_from_github/
>>
>> IANAL so I don't know whether it is a real problem, a hypothetical
>> problem or not a problem.
>
> I got a couple of links sent to me privately which look relevant:
>
>  * https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13767373
>  * https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13766933
>
> (hacker threads, but from people claiming to be lawyers)

Another comment, from the FSF

        https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/do-githubs-updated-terms-of-service-conflict-with-copyleft