* use font-face instead of explicit colouring
@ 2016-03-05  9:54 Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2016-03-05  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I use a dark theme and many of the colour choices of notmuch collide
with my theme. However, notmuch is explicitly adding information such as
"blue foreground" instead of using faces that I can customise.

Could you please consider using faces instead of explicit colours?

Best regards,
Sam

[-- Attachment #2.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: use font-face instead of explicit colouring
@ 2016-03-05 10:03 ` Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2016-03-05 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I should say that I am aware of the workaround, e.g.

    (setq
      notmuch-search-line-faces '(("unread" :weight bold)
                                  ("flagged" :inherit 'font-lock-string-face)))

but this must be applied per-user. If you removed this defcustom and had
unread/flagged/other faces, then themes (such as darcula) would be able
to provide sensible defaults out of the box.

--

@ 2016-03-05 11:00   ` Mark Walters
From: Mark Walters @ 2016-03-05 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Halliday, notmuch

Hi

On Sat, 05 Mar 2016, Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> wrote:
> I should say that I am aware of the workaround, e.g.
>
>     (setq
>       notmuch-search-line-faces '(("unread" :weight bold)
>                                   ("flagged" :inherit 'font-lock-string-face)))
>
> but this must be applied per-user. If you removed this defcustom and had
> unread/flagged/other faces, then themes (such as darcula) would be able
> to provide sensible defaults out of the box.

I am not sure I see how this would work without cluttering up the
customize options significantly. The notmuch-search-line-faces allows
selecting the face based on any tag (so for example I use different
colours for emails tagged "work", and tagged "waiting"). We could have
additional notmuch-search-line-unread-face which could then be  used in
the above -- but now the user has two places to customize the same thing.

How do you see this working?

(We probably could make the default depend on light or dark theme to make
the default more usable.)

Best wishes

Mark

@ 2016-03-05 11:09     ` Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2016-03-05 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Walters; +Cc: notmuch

That's a shame. Having light/dark alternatives are OK as a workaround but
it's a shame this can't just all be done with faces. I don't see why there
needs to be a string to face lookup map, why not just put the string in the
face name?

@ 2016-03-05 11:26       ` Mark Walters
From: Mark Walters @ 2016-03-05 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Halliday; +Cc: notmuch

Hi

On Sat, 05 Mar 2016, Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's a shame. Having light/dark alternatives are OK as a workaround but
> it's a shame this can't just all be done with faces. I don't see why there
> needs to be a string to face lookup map, why not just put the string in the
> face name?

If you did that how would you let a user customize it (I mean as a
defcustom, rather than setq in .emacs)? There is also a possible
question of dealing with tags with weird characters (eg spaces or
worse), so some form of quoting would be needed.

It's not something I have interest in implementing, but I would be happy
to review patches doing this. Dme might also have some comments -- he
had a complete rewrite of  the code dealing with the search format.

Best wishes

Mark