unofficial mirror of notmuch@notmuchmail.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* Python 3.x bindings support which versions, exactly?
@ 2020-05-24 18:52 Ralph Seichter
  2020-05-24 19:29 ` David Bremner
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Ralph Seichter @ 2020-05-24 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello,

having examined the source code, I assume that Notmuch's Python bindings
should support Python 3.x for any given 'x'. However, reading the Travis
logs at https://travis-ci.org/notmuch/notmuch and .travis.yml, the CI
tests apparently run on Ubuntu 18.04 and use only Python 3.6.

While I hope there won't be any problems with Python 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9,
I wanted to ask here first if anybody has tested this yet?

-Ralph

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Python 3.x bindings support which versions, exactly?
  2020-05-24 18:52 Python 3.x bindings support which versions, exactly? Ralph Seichter
@ 2020-05-24 19:29 ` David Bremner
  2020-05-24 20:24   ` Ralph Seichter
  2020-05-25 21:25   ` Floris Bruynooghe
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: David Bremner @ 2020-05-24 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Seichter, notmuch

Ralph Seichter <abbot@monksofcool.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> having examined the source code, I assume that Notmuch's Python bindings
> should support Python 3.x for any given 'x'. However, reading the Travis
> logs at https://travis-ci.org/notmuch/notmuch and .travis.yml, the CI
> tests apparently run on Ubuntu 18.04 and use only Python 3.6.
>
> While I hope there won't be any problems with Python 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9,
> I wanted to ask here first if anybody has tested this yet?

the old (modulename = notmuch) bindings actually do have memory
management issues with python > 3.6 (maybe also with 3.6). The new
bindings (modulename= notmuch2) should work with any python recent
3.x. They still have a few rough edges afaiu, but definitely new
projects should target the new bindings.

d

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Python 3.x bindings support which versions, exactly?
  2020-05-24 19:29 ` David Bremner
@ 2020-05-24 20:24   ` Ralph Seichter
  2020-05-24 21:46     ` David Bremner
  2020-05-25 21:25   ` Floris Bruynooghe
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Ralph Seichter @ 2020-05-24 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

* David Bremner:

> The new bindings (modulename= notmuch2) should work with any python
> recent 3.x. They still have a few rough edges afaiu, but definitely
> new projects should target the new bindings.

Alas, there are no release archives available yet which contain the new
bindings. I was hoping to add Python 3.8 support for the Gentoo Linux
package I maintain, but our ebuilds rely on tagged releases of the
packaged software.

-Ralph

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Python 3.x bindings support which versions, exactly?
  2020-05-24 20:24   ` Ralph Seichter
@ 2020-05-24 21:46     ` David Bremner
  2020-05-24 22:06       ` Ralph Seichter
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: David Bremner @ 2020-05-24 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Seichter, notmuch

Ralph Seichter <abbot@monksofcool.net> writes:

> * David Bremner:
>
>> The new bindings (modulename= notmuch2) should work with any python
>> recent 3.x. They still have a few rough edges afaiu, but definitely
>> new projects should target the new bindings.
>
> Alas, there are no release archives available yet which contain the new
> bindings. I was hoping to add Python 3.8 support for the Gentoo Linux
> package I maintain, but our ebuilds rely on tagged releases of the
> packaged software.

Sorry about that. That's another reason for me to get a release out the
door soon.

d

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Python 3.x bindings support which versions, exactly?
  2020-05-24 21:46     ` David Bremner
@ 2020-05-24 22:06       ` Ralph Seichter
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Ralph Seichter @ 2020-05-24 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

* David Bremner:

> That's another reason for me to get a release out the door soon.

Given how long ago the old Python bindings were written, I can wait a
bit longer for the improved version. ;-) Still, I am looking forward to
the next Notmuch release.

-Ralph

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Python 3.x bindings support which versions, exactly?
  2020-05-24 19:29 ` David Bremner
  2020-05-24 20:24   ` Ralph Seichter
@ 2020-05-25 21:25   ` Floris Bruynooghe
  2020-05-25 21:41     ` Tomi Ollila
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Floris Bruynooghe @ 2020-05-25 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, Ralph Seichter, notmuch

On Sun 24 May 2020 at 16:29 -0300, David Bremner wrote:

> Ralph Seichter <abbot@monksofcool.net> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> having examined the source code, I assume that Notmuch's Python bindings
>> should support Python 3.x for any given 'x'. However, reading the Travis
>> logs at https://travis-ci.org/notmuch/notmuch and .travis.yml, the CI
>> tests apparently run on Ubuntu 18.04 and use only Python 3.6.
>>
>> While I hope there won't be any problems with Python 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9,
>> I wanted to ask here first if anybody has tested this yet?
>
> the old (modulename = notmuch) bindings actually do have memory
> management issues with python > 3.6 (maybe also with 3.6). The new
> bindings (modulename= notmuch2) should work with any python recent
> 3.x.

In tox.ini the earliest version is 3.5 and if memory serves me right
there's a reasonably good reason for that.  I think the notmuch2
bindings use some features not yet present in 3.4.  But anything >= 3.5
should be supported and if not a bug.  I guess tox.ini should be updated
with 3.8 sometime :)

Cheers,
Floris

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Python 3.x bindings support which versions, exactly?
  2020-05-25 21:25   ` Floris Bruynooghe
@ 2020-05-25 21:41     ` Tomi Ollila
  2020-06-05 20:12       ` Floris Bruynooghe
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2020-05-25 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Floris Bruynooghe, David Bremner, Ralph Seichter, notmuch

On Mon, May 25 2020, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:

> In tox.ini the earliest version is 3.5 and if memory serves me right
> there's a reasonably good reason for that.  I think the notmuch2
> bindings use some features not yet present in 3.4.  But anything >= 3.5
> should be supported and if not a bug.  I guess tox.ini should be updated
> with 3.8 sometime :)

I've been long thinking whether our current python3 check is "strict"
enough, as it, in configure, is:

if "$python" -c 'import sys; assert sys.version_info >= (3,0)' > /dev/null 2>&1

Perhaps that should be updated to (3,5) ?

>
> Cheers,
> Floris

Tomi

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Python 3.x bindings support which versions, exactly?
  2020-05-25 21:41     ` Tomi Ollila
@ 2020-06-05 20:12       ` Floris Bruynooghe
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Floris Bruynooghe @ 2020-06-05 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila, David Bremner, Ralph Seichter, notmuch

On Tue 26 May 2020 at 00:41 +0300, Tomi Ollila wrote:

> On Mon, May 25 2020, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
>
>> In tox.ini the earliest version is 3.5 and if memory serves me right
>> there's a reasonably good reason for that.  I think the notmuch2
>> bindings use some features not yet present in 3.4.  But anything >= 3.5
>> should be supported and if not a bug.  I guess tox.ini should be updated
>> with 3.8 sometime :)
>
> I've been long thinking whether our current python3 check is "strict"
> enough, as it, in configure, is:
>
> if "$python" -c 'import sys; assert sys.version_info >= (3,0)' > /dev/null 2>&1
>
> Perhaps that should be updated to (3,5) ?

If this check is only used to decide to build the python-cffi/notmuch2
bindings, then yes.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 8+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-05-24 18:52 Python 3.x bindings support which versions, exactly? Ralph Seichter
2020-05-24 19:29 ` David Bremner
2020-05-24 20:24   ` Ralph Seichter
2020-05-24 21:46     ` David Bremner
2020-05-24 22:06       ` Ralph Seichter
2020-05-25 21:25   ` Floris Bruynooghe
2020-05-25 21:41     ` Tomi Ollila
2020-06-05 20:12       ` Floris Bruynooghe

unofficial mirror of notmuch@notmuchmail.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://yhetil.org/notmuch/0 notmuch/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 notmuch notmuch/ https://yhetil.org/notmuch \
		notmuch@notmuchmail.org
	public-inbox-index notmuch

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.mail.notmuch.general
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.mail.notmuch.general


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git