* Elisp error with recent master-branch Emacs
@ 2021-12-04 20:33 Joseph Mingrone
From: Joseph Mingrone @ 2021-12-04 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello,

When building the FreeBSD OS package for notmuch-emacs, we have begun to
see build errors recently that report

        (error "Unknown button type `help-function'").

http://pkg.ftfl.ca/data/12amd64-default/2021-12-04_12h41m25s/logs/errors/notmuch-emacs_devel-0.34.1_1.log

This seems to be related to a recent change in the Emacs master branch
(Emacs 29).  We build new emacs-devel packages around the 1st and 15th
day of each month that pull the latest from the Emacs master branch.
This notmuch-emacs breakage started after the Dec. 1 package update for
emacs-devel.

Regards,

Joe

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Elisp error with recent master-branch Emacs
@ 2021-12-05  0:34 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2021-12-05  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Mingrone, notmuch

Joseph Mingrone <jrm@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> When building the FreeBSD OS package for notmuch-emacs, we have begun to
> see build errors recently that report
>
>         (error "Unknown button type `help-function'").
>
> http://pkg.ftfl.ca/data/12amd64-default/2021-12-04_12h41m25s/logs/errors/notmuch-emacs_devel-0.34.1_1.log
>
> This seems to be related to a recent change in the Emacs master branch
> (Emacs 29).  We build new emacs-devel packages around the 1st and 15th
> day of each month that pull the latest from the Emacs master branch.
> This notmuch-emacs breakage started after the Dec. 1 package update for
> emacs-devel.
>
> Regards,

I did manage to duplicate this problem on debian, so I guess it's not
FreeBSD specific. Not sure how to fix it yet, it looks like there are
many changes to docstring processing in emacs 29, that may be related.

* Re: Elisp error with recent master-branch Emacs
@ 2021-12-05 12:26   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2021-12-05 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Mingrone, notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> Joseph Mingrone <jrm@FreeBSD.org> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> When building the FreeBSD OS package for notmuch-emacs, we have begun to
>> see build errors recently that report
>>
>>         (error "Unknown button type `help-function'").
>>
>> http://pkg.ftfl.ca/data/12amd64-default/2021-12-04_12h41m25s/logs/errors/notmuch-emacs_devel-0.34.1_1.log
>>
>> This seems to be related to a recent change in the Emacs master branch
>> (Emacs 29).  We build new emacs-devel packages around the 1st and 15th
>> day of each month that pull the latest from the Emacs master branch.
>> This notmuch-emacs breakage started after the Dec. 1 package update for
>> emacs-devel.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> I did manage to duplicate this problem on debian, so I guess it's not
> FreeBSD specific. Not sure how to fix it yet, it looks like there are
> many changes to docstring processing in emacs 29, that may be related.

It turned out to be an emacs bug, fixed (thanks to Lars I.) in commit

   5404973916dc5d0b92604d31ad7dca2358bc5b9a

If you update to current master in emacs, notmuch should build again (at
least it does for me now).

* Re: Elisp error with recent master-branch Emacs
@ 2021-12-06  1:55     ` Joseph Mingrone
From: Joseph Mingrone @ 2021-12-06  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch