* How to index arbitrary headers?
@ 2012-10-01 12:39 Petri Savolainen
From: Petri Savolainen @ 2012-10-01 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello,

I could not find information anywhere in notmuch docs about what is
actually indexed - specifically, what email headers are indexed and
searchable? If a header is not indexed, does searching for its value still
result in a search hit?

It would be nice if one could just provide the list of headers to be
indexed in some configuration file or something.

Thanks,

 Petri

* Re: How to index arbitrary headers?
@ 2012-10-01 15:43 ` Austin Clements
From: Austin Clements @ 2012-10-01 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petri Savolainen; +Cc: notmuch

Quoth Petri Savolainen on Oct 01 at  3:39 pm:
>    Hello,
>    I could not find information anywhere in notmuch docs about what is
>    actually indexed - specifically, what email headers are indexed and
>    searchable? If a header is not indexed, does searching for its value still
>    result in a search hit?
>    It would be nice if one could just provide the list of headers to be
>    indexed in some configuration file or something.
>    Thanks,
>     Petri

notmuch doesn't currently implement this, though it is an
oft-requested feature.  One (not insurmountable) difficulty is that
the database would have to be rebuilt if a user-configured list of
headers changed and there are technical limitations that prevent us
from simply indexing all headers.  Out of curiosity, what headers are
you interested in indexing?

The currently indexed headers are described in man
notmuch-search-terms.

* Re: How to index arbitrary headers?
@ 2012-10-03 18:32   ` Petri Savolainen
From: Petri Savolainen @ 2012-10-03 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Clements; +Cc: notmuch

thanks for your response. I am evaluating notmuch / xapian for building an
application for analyzing in various ways a fairly large number of emails
accumulated over several years. I am afraid the number of headers that
would ultimately need to be indexed is therefore quite a lot larger than
what notmuch currently indexes.

 Petri

@ 2012-10-04  8:17     ` Dmitrijs Ledkovs
From: Dmitrijs Ledkovs @ 2012-10-04  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petri Savolainen; +Cc: notmuch

On 3 October 2012 19:32, Petri Savolainen <petri@koodaamo.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your response. I am evaluating notmuch / xapian for building an
> application for analyzing in various ways a fairly large number of emails
> accumulated over several years. I am afraid the number of headers that would
> ultimately need to be indexed is therefore quite a lot larger than what
> notmuch currently indexes.
>
>  Petri
>
> 2012/10/1 Austin Clements <amdragon@mit.edu>
>>
>> Quoth Petri Savolainen on Oct 01 at  3:39 pm:
>> >    Hello,
>> >    I could not find information anywhere in notmuch docs about what is
>> >    actually indexed - specifically, what email headers are indexed and
>> >    searchable? If a header is not indexed, does searching for its value
>> > still
>> >    result in a search hit?
>> >    It would be nice if one could just provide the list of headers to be
>> >    indexed in some configuration file or something.
>> >    Thanks,
>> >     Petri
>>
>> notmuch doesn't currently implement this, though it is an
>> oft-requested feature.  One (not insurmountable) difficulty is that
>> the database would have to be rebuilt if a user-configured list of
>> headers changed and there are technical limitations that prevent us
>> from simply indexing all headers.  Out of curiosity, what headers are
>> you interested in indexing?
>>
>> The currently indexed headers are described in man
>> notmuch-search-terms.

Use mapreduce instead: hadoop or discoproject or haddop with dumbo
should be faster.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.

* Re: How to index arbitrary headers?
@ 2012-10-04 12:51   ` Nicolás Reynolds
From: Nicolás Reynolds @ 2012-10-04 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Austin Clements <amdragon@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Quoth Petri Savolainen on Oct 01 at  3:39 pm:
>>    Hello,
>>    I could not find information anywhere in notmuch docs about what is
>>    actually indexed - specifically, what email headers are indexed and
>>    searchable? If a header is not indexed, does searching for its value still
>>    result in a search hit?
>>    It would be nice if one could just provide the list of headers to be
>>    indexed in some configuration file or something.
>>    Thanks,
>>     Petri
>
> notmuch doesn't currently implement this, though it is an
> oft-requested feature.  One (not insurmountable) difficulty is that
> the database would have to be rebuilt if a user-configured list of
> headers changed and there are technical limitations that prevent us
> from simply indexing all headers.  Out of curiosity, what headers are
> you interested in indexing?
>
> The currently indexed headers are described in man
> notmuch-search-terms.

maybe related: is it possible to index only the headers and not the mail
body?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: How to index arbitrary headers?
@ 2012-10-04 16:25     ` Dmitrijs Ledkovs
From: Dmitrijs Ledkovs @ 2012-10-04 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

On 4 October 2012 13:51, Nicolás Reynolds <fauno@kiwwwi.com.ar> wrote:
> Austin Clements <amdragon@MIT.EDU> writes:
>
>> Quoth Petri Savolainen on Oct 01 at  3:39 pm:
>>>    Hello,
>>>    I could not find information anywhere in notmuch docs about what is
>>>    actually indexed - specifically, what email headers are indexed and
>>>    searchable? If a header is not indexed, does searching for its value still
>>>    result in a search hit?
>>>    It would be nice if one could just provide the list of headers to be
>>>    indexed in some configuration file or something.
>>>    Thanks,
>>>     Petri
>>
>> notmuch doesn't currently implement this, though it is an
>> oft-requested feature.  One (not insurmountable) difficulty is that
>> the database would have to be rebuilt if a user-configured list of
>> headers changed and there are technical limitations that prevent us
>> from simply indexing all headers.  Out of curiosity, what headers are
>> you interested in indexing?
>>
>> The currently indexed headers are described in man
>> notmuch-search-terms.
>
> maybe related: is it possible to index only the headers and not the mail
> body?

Checkout project `afew` which pipes complete emails and assigns tags
based on the parse result.
It may be sufficient for your purpose.
Or you can modify notmuch to index the stuff you want.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.

* Re: How to index arbitrary headers?
@ 2012-10-04 18:18       ` Nicolás Reynolds