Hi, thanks for your response. I am evaluating notmuch / xapian for building an application for analyzing in various ways a fairly large number of emails accumulated over several years. I am afraid the number of headers that would ultimately need to be indexed is therefore quite a lot larger than what notmuch currently indexes. Petri 2012/10/1 Austin Clements > Quoth Petri Savolainen on Oct 01 at 3:39 pm: > > Hello, > > I could not find information anywhere in notmuch docs about what is > > actually indexed - specifically, what email headers are indexed and > > searchable? If a header is not indexed, does searching for its value > still > > result in a search hit? > > It would be nice if one could just provide the list of headers to be > > indexed in some configuration file or something. > > Thanks, > > Petri > > notmuch doesn't currently implement this, though it is an > oft-requested feature. One (not insurmountable) difficulty is that > the database would have to be rebuilt if a user-configured list of > headers changed and there are technical limitations that prevent us > from simply indexing all headers. Out of curiosity, what headers are > you interested in indexing? > > The currently indexed headers are described in man > notmuch-search-terms. >