* rendering and generating text/markdown parts
@ 2017-08-11  4:41 Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2017-08-11  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Notmuch Mail; +Cc: Steve Kemp

Using `Content-Type: text/markdown`
-----------------------------------

[Over on LWN, some discussion came up about rendering and generating
text/markdown variants of e-mails](https://lwn.net/Articles/730277/)

This is similar to (but maybe simpler than) [a proposal that was
discussed on the alot bug tracker earlier this
year](https://github.com/pazz/alot/issues/1051).

I thought i'd drop this mail as a marker for the start of a longer
discussion if anyone wants to try to take it further.

Next Steps
----------

I think this mail is (hopefully) actually composed correctly as
text/markdown.

Does anyone's MUA render it properly?  Anyone want to post screenshots
or other renderings?

Anyone have suggestions about message composition in markdown?

           --dkg

* Re: rendering and generating text/markdown parts
@ 2017-08-11 22:02 ` Dylan Baker
From: Dylan Baker @ 2017-08-11 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor, Notmuch Mail; +Cc: Steve Kemp

One of the alot devs here,

Natively no. I have a fairly minor patch to alot that would make it work if the
type was text/markdown instead of text/plain.

I have another patch that makes this render correctly as markdown, but it breaks
lots of other text/plain emails that use characters in a way that they look like
markdown to cmark, but aren't actually markdown.

I think if we're going to have a message format we should use text/markdown or
text/commonmark, or text/x-(markdown|commonmark) rather than text/plain as the
format. While it's safe to read markdown as plain text (it was originally used
that way anyway), it's not safe to assume that all text is valid markdown.

elinks with "-dump-color-mode 1" did a pretty good job of formatting the html that
came out of cmark. I've attached that if anyone wants to see it.

Dylan

Quoting Daniel Kahn Gillmor (2017-08-10 21:41:52)
> Using `Content-Type: text/markdown`
> -----------------------------------
>
> [Over on LWN, some discussion came up about rendering and generating
> text/markdown variants of e-mails](https://lwn.net/Articles/730277/)
>
> This is similar to (but maybe simpler than) [a proposal that was
> discussed on the alot bug tracker earlier this
> year](https://github.com/pazz/alot/issues/1051).
>
> I thought i'd drop this mail as a marker for the start of a longer
> discussion if anyone wants to try to take it further.
>
> Next Steps
> ----------
>
> I think this mail is (hopefully) actually composed correctly as
> text/markdown.
>
> Does anyone's MUA render it properly?  Anyone want to post screenshots
> or other renderings?
>
> Anyone have suggestions about message composition in markdown?
>
>            --dkg

[-- Attachment #1.2: elinks-out.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2143 bytes --]

^[[0;30m^[[0;37mUsing Content-Type: text/markdown
^[[0;37m
^[[0;37m   ^[[0;34m[1]Over on LWN, some discussion came up about rendering and generating
^[[0;34m^[[0;37m   ^[[0;34mtext/markdown variants of e-mails
^[[0;34m
^[[0;34m^[[0;37m   This is similar to (but maybe simpler than) ^[[0;34m[2]a proposal that was
^[[0;34m^[[0;37m   ^[[0;34mdiscussed on the alot bug tracker earlier this year^[[0;37m.
^[[0;37m
^[[0;37m   I thought i'd drop this mail as a marker for the start of a longer
^[[0;37m   discussion if anyone wants to try to take it further.
^[[0;37m
^[[0;37mNext Steps
^[[0;37m
^[[0;37m   I think this mail is (hopefully) actually composed correctly as
^[[0;37m   text/markdown.
^[[0;37m
^[[0;37m   Does anyone's MUA render it properly? Anyone want to post screenshots or
^[[0;37m   other renderings?
^[[0;37m
^[[0;37m   Anyone have suggestions about message composition in markdown?
^[[0;37m
^[[0;37m        --dkg

References

   Visible links
   1. https://lwn.net/Articles/730277/
   2. https://github.com/pazz/alot/issues/1051

[-- Attachment #2: signature --]

* Re: rendering and generating text/markdown parts
@ 2017-08-11 23:05   ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2017-08-11 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dylan Baker, Notmuch Mail; +Cc: Steve Kemp

On Fri 2017-08-11 15:02:44 -0700, Dylan Baker wrote:

> Natively no. I have a fairly minor patch to alot that would make it work if the
> type was text/markdown instead of text/plain.

huh, i tried to set Content-Type: text/markdown in emacs mml-mode by
just fiddling with the header but mml apparently believed that it knew
better than i did what Content-Type header to send and sent out
text/plain anyway :/

> I have another patch that makes this render correctly as markdown, but it breaks
> lots of other text/plain emails that use characters in a way that they look like
> markdown to cmark, but aren't actually markdown.

yeah, i agree we should *not* try to apply these filters to anything not
marked explicitly as text/markdown.

> I think if we're going to have a message format we should use text/markdown or
> text/commonmark, or text/x-(markdown|commonmark) rather than text/plain as the
> format. While it's safe to read markdown as plain text (it was originally used
> that way anyway), it's not safe to assume that all text is valid markdown.

Absolutely agreed.

> elinks with "-dump-color-mode 1" did a pretty good job of formatting the html that
> came out of cmark. I've attached that if anyone wants to see it.

Interesting, it does look plausible, though i confess i don't like the
idea of needing a two-stage pipeline. seems like a lot of attack surface
and moving parts :/

     --dkg

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: rendering and generating text/markdown parts
@ 2017-08-11 23:36     ` Dylan Baker
From: Dylan Baker @ 2017-08-11 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor, Notmuch Mail; +Cc: Steve Kemp