unofficial mirror of gwl-devel@gnu.org
* Moving GWL modules
@ 2018-12-19 21:22 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-12-19 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roel Janssen; +Cc: gwl-devel

Hi Roel,

I’m interested in moving the GWL modules to their own namespace to avoid
potential clashes with future versions of Guix.  Currently, GWL modules
share the “(guix …)” and “(gnu …)” namespaces.

I think it would be clearer to move all but the scripts (which extend
Guix) to “(gwl …)”.

What do you think?

On a related note: I can never remember if a procedure is defined in
“(gnu workflows)” or “(guix workflows)”.  Do you have a mnemonic?  Is
this separation necessary or would it be fine to rearrange things?

Thanks!

--
Ricardo

* Re: Moving GWL modules
@ 2018-12-19 22:07 ` Roel Janssen
From: Roel Janssen @ 2018-12-19 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: gwl-devel

On 19-12-18 22:22, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hi Roel,
>
> I’m interested in moving the GWL modules to their own namespace to avoid
> potential clashes with future versions of Guix.  Currently, GWL modules
> share the “(guix …)” and “(gnu …)” namespaces.
>
> I think it would be clearer to move all but the scripts (which extend
> Guix) to “(gwl …)”.

I like this change.  So the new modules would be:
(gwl processes) and (gwl workflows)

Could we keep (guix processes) and (guix workflows) for backwards
compatibility?  At least for now, so we don't break existing workflows
right away.

> On a related note: I can never remember if a procedure is defined in
> “(gnu workflows)” or “(guix workflows)”.  Do you have a mnemonic?  Is
> this separation necessary or would it be fine to rearrange things?

It's fine to rearrange things.  I mimic'd the modules for Guix's
packages ((guix packages) and (gnu packages)).

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen

* Re: Moving GWL modules
@ 2018-12-19 22:49   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-12-19 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roel Janssen; +Cc: gwl-devel

Hi Roel,

> On 19-12-18 22:22, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> Hi Roel,
>>
>> I’m interested in moving the GWL modules to their own namespace to avoid
>> potential clashes with future versions of Guix.  Currently, GWL modules
>> share the “(guix …)” and “(gnu …)” namespaces.
>>
>> I think it would be clearer to move all but the scripts (which extend
>> Guix) to “(gwl …)”.
>
> I like this change.  So the new modules would be:
> (gwl processes) and (gwl workflows)

Correct.

> Could we keep (guix processes) and (guix workflows) for backwards
> compatibility?  At least for now, so we don't break existing workflows
> right away.

Yes, we can keep them for now; or we could let them re-export all of the
new modules’ symbols for compatibility.

>> On a related note: I can never remember if a procedure is defined in
>> “(gnu workflows)” or “(guix workflows)”.  Do you have a mnemonic?  Is
>> this separation necessary or would it be fine to rearrange things?
>
> It's fine to rearrange things.  I mimic'd the modules for Guix's
> packages ((guix packages) and (gnu packages)).

That’s what I thought :)

Thanks for the quick response!

--
Ricardo