all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gaming on Guix
@ 2024-02-11 11:26 Tobias Alexandra Platen
From: Tobias Alexandra Platen @ 2024-02-11 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I am a libre game developer and I plan to package my game that I am
currently working on for Guix. On the long term I also want to make a
scalable distribution service that one can self host and which allows
paying for games using GNU Taler. Once the user has payed they can get
substitutes, if they don't want to pay, they still have the freedom
to build the game from source. I propose the name GNUtris for this
service.

First I will make a home page using haunt for my game. Then I start
packaging ist dependencies, starting with libsurvive, which is needed
to use the Valve Index. Then I package the rest of the software,
needed to run the game. Finally I setup a sales/crowdfunding page,
this will be the harded part of my project. I heard that Taler will
soon go into production in the Euro zone.

PS: I try to avoid Steam, Nonguix and the Guix Gaming Channels

* Re: Gaming on Guix
@ 2024-02-12 22:23 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2024-02-12 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Alexandra Platen, guix-devel

February 11, 2024 at 6:26 AM, "Tobias Alexandra Platen" <guix@platen-software.de> wrote:

> I am a libre game developer and I plan to package my game that I am
>  currently working on for Guix. On the long term I also want to make a
>  scalable distribution service that one can self host and which allows
>  paying for games using GNU Taler. Once the user has payed they can get
>  substitutes, if they don't want to pay, they still have the freedom
>  to build the game from source. I propose the name GNUtris for this
>  service.
>
>  First I will make a home page using haunt for my game. Then I start
>  packaging ist dependencies, starting with libsurvive, which is needed
>  to use the Valve Index. Then I package the rest of the software,
>  needed to run the game. Finally I setup a sales/crowdfunding page,
>  this will be the harded part of my project. I heard that Taler will
>  soon go into production in the Euro zone.
>
>  PS: I try to avoid Steam, Nonguix and the Guix Gaming Channels

I am definitely gave for chipping in for your crowdfunding campaign
for this.  I think we should find a pay to pay libre developers, and
this sounds like a great idea!

Also, you can also license your game source code as GPL, but license
the game assets as proprietary.  This does not violate the GPL.

Joshua