all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Passwords inside System Configuration
@ 2020-01-19 11:20 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2020-01-19 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix!

I would like to insert/set password for the following, inside system configuration (config.scm):
1) Roor User
2) Regular User
3) LUKS Device

Could anyone please provide me straight-forward step-by-step instruction to achieve it?

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Passwords inside System Configuration
@ 2020-01-20 10:31 ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2020-01-20 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan, help-guix

Hello Raghav,

"Raghav Gururajan" <raghavgururajan@disroot.org> writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> I would like to insert/set password for the following, inside system configuration (config.scm):
> 1) Roor User
> 2) Regular User

(user-account
  (name "charlie")
  (group "users")

  ;; Specify a SHA-512-hashed initial password.
  (password (crypt "InitialPassword!" "$6$abc")))

but please read
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/User-Accounts.html#user_002daccount_002dpassword

You would normally leave this field to #f, initialize user passwords as
root with the passwd command, and then let users change it with
passwd. Passwords set with passwd are of course preserved across reboot
and reconfiguration.

[...]

Note: The hash of this initial password will be available in a file in
/gnu/store, readable by all the users, so this method must be used with
care.

> 3) LUKS Device

AFAIK it's not possible to provide the passphrase in the system
configuration, and it's by design :-)

I mean: you set the LUKS passphrase "imperatively" when encrypting the
device (e.g. during installation) or to change it later, storing it in
config.scm would mean to make it available in /gnu/store, readeable by
all users... and you should avoid it

[...]

HTH! Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Passwords inside System Configuration
@ 2020-01-21 20:45   ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2020-01-21 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Biscuolo, help-guix

Hello Giovanni!

> (user-account
>   (name "charlie")
>   (group "users")
>
>   ;; Specify a SHA-512-hashed initial password.
>   (password (crypt "InitialPassword!" "$6$abc")))

Thanks! But how do I do this for 'root' user as well?

> but please read
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/User-Accounts.html#user_002daccount_002dpassword

OOPS! I somehow missed it. Thanks for letting me know.

> You would normally leave this field to #f, initialize user passwords
> as
> root with the passwd command, and then let users change it with
> passwd. Passwords set with passwd are of course preserved across
> reboot
> and reconfiguration.

Yes, but I wanted to do things in declarative way.

> Note: The hash of this initial password will be available in a file
> in
> /gnu/store, readable by all the users, so this method must be used
> with
> care.

I see. But why would it be a concern? It is not feasible to brute-force
SHA-512 hash right?

> > 3) LUKS Device
>
> AFAIK it's not possible to provide the passphrase in the system
> configuration, and it's by design :-)

Hmm, I have heard of a way to embed the passphrase in 'initrd'. Do you
know how to do that?

@ 2020-01-21 21:24     ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2020-01-21 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan, Giovanni Biscuolo, help-guix

On 2020-01-21, Raghav Gururajan wrote:
>> Note: The hash of this initial password will be available in a file
>> in
>> /gnu/store, readable by all the users, so this method must be used
>> with
>> care.
>
> I see. But why would it be a concern? It is not feasible to brute-force
> SHA-512 hash right?

I'm no expert, but evaluating the future based on today has it's
weaknesses; brute-force isn't usually what makes it possible to
compromise an algorithm...

  https://valerieaurora.org/hash.html

According to wikipedia, SHA-512 is in the SHA2 family:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-2

Which outlines papers, some going back over a decade, on various ways
SHA2 could be weakened...

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Passwords inside System Configuration
@ 2020-01-23  1:36       ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2020-01-23  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian, Giovanni Biscuolo, help-guix

Hi Vagrant!

> I'm no expert, but evaluating the future based on today has it's
> weaknesses; brute-force isn't usually what makes it possible to
> compromise an algorithm...
>
>   https://valerieaurora.org/hash.html

I see.

> According to wikipedia, SHA-512 is in the SHA2 family:
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-2
>
> Which outlines papers, some going back over a decade, on various ways
> SHA2 could be weakened...

Thanks for the info.

@ 2020-01-24 20:53     ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2020-01-24 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan, help-guix

Hi Raghav,

Raghav Gururajan <raghavgururajan@disroot.org> writes:

[...]

>> > 3) LUKS Device
>>
>> AFAIK it's not possible to provide the passphrase in the system
>> configuration, and it's by design :-)
>
> Hmm, I have heard of a way to embed the passphrase in 'initrd'. Do you
> know how to do that?

no sorry, I never searched for that because I think it is unsecure, so I
don't know how to do it

HTH! Gio'

[...]

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Passwords inside System Configuration
@ 2020-01-25  0:34       ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2020-01-25  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Biscuolo, help-guix