all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Does the installation image support UEFI boot?
@ 2017-09-17 18:13 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2017-09-17 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

today I tried installing GuixSD from the installation image
(guixsd-usb-install) into a virtual machine which only supports UEFI and
EUFI CSM. I "installed" the image as CD-ROM drive, but booting failed.

I tried the same with the Debian netinst image which booted.

Before I start spending time investigating the issue: Is this expcted to
work?

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Does the installation image support UEFI boot?
@ 2017-09-17 18:25 ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-09-17 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel, help-guix

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> today I tried installing GuixSD from the installation image
> (guixsd-usb-install) into a virtual machine which only supports UEFI and
> EUFI CSM. I "installed" the image as CD-ROM drive, but booting failed.

If you used the 0.13 release image, it will not work on a CDROM.  You
will need to pass it to the virtual machine monitor as a raw hard drive.

There is support in git for generating an ISO9660 image, but I don't
know if it works with EFI.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Does the installation image support UEFI boot?
@ 2017-09-17 19:21   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2017-09-17 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke, help-guix

Hi,

Thanks for the quick answer

Am 17.09.2017 um 20:25 schrieb Marius Bakke:
> If you used the 0.13 release image, it will not work on a CDROM.  You
> will need to pass it to the virtual machine monitor as a raw hard drive.

IC. Due to some foolish limitations of the VM-GUI I'm using in this very
case, I can't mount a disk-image :-( SO …

> There is support in git for generating an ISO9660 image, but I don't
> know if it works with EFI.
… I found the command in the manual and will try tomorrow.

--

@ 2017-09-18  7:55     ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2017-09-18  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke, help-guix

Hi Marius,

thanks again.

I was able to generating an ISO9660 image and boot from it. :-)

Although after partitioning the (virtual) hard-disk, I was not able to
boot from that, but this may simply be that I partitioned wrong.