all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#54711: Bad Documentation Series: 6.1 Specifying Additional Channels
@ 2022-04-04 16:21 Marek Paśnikowski
From: Marek Paśnikowski @ 2022-04-04 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 54711

Dear Guix Developers

I love the Guix's vision of system management.
Thank you for your hard work to implement it.

It pains me greatly to see the documentation be completely useless.
It gives descriptions of Guix programs,
but almost nothing usable for configuration files.

I am considering filing a bug report for each inadequate chapter.
Please reply whether this is welcome.
My aim is to rewrite the documentation in a way usable to someone,
who has never used Guix before.

I decided to prioritize channel documentation,
because this is my current blocker.
My goal is to keep a local mirror of the guix repository,
with my personal changes and additions.
Following is the list of the documentation problems.

1. (channel (introduction -)) is not mentioned at all.

2. What ==is== the channel introduction?
Which commit am I supposed to use?
How do I find the PGP fingerprint?

3. How do I declare a local repository?

4. How do I declare a channel within the config.scm file?

Respectfully,
Guix Noob
Marek Pasnikowski