all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Small change request to the manual page "Building from Git"
@ 2022-10-06 13:35 Mehmet Tekman
From: Mehmet Tekman @ 2022-10-06 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi there,

I'd like to request some small changes be made on this page:
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Building-from-Git.html

1. Authenticating on a foreign distro

When at the "make authenticate" stage of the build process on a foreign
distro, this fails because it cannot find guix.
I think it's because the `guix environment guix --pure' command doesn't
include it, or obscures its path.

As a workaround, I ran `PATH=/usr/local/bin/:$PATH make authenticate'

Seems simple enough, but might cause some trouble for inexperienced users
such as myself who might not know whether or not the environment command
was an optional step.

2. Easy fix for failing `make check' tests

I had a few failing tests on my foreign distro relating to setting locales.
Digging around led me to this reddit thread for the solution:

https://old.reddit.com/r/GUIX/comments/jpq1uw/bashminimal507binbash_warning_setlocale_lc_all/

Here they suggest running `sudo guix install glibc-locales` instead of as a
user.
Maybe this should be mentioned, since I'm not the only one coming to GUIX
from another distro.

Thanks otherwise for the fantastic manual,
Best,

* Re: Small change request to the manual page "Building from Git"
@ 2022-10-09  9:08 ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-10-09  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehmet Tekman, guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1878 bytes --]

On 06-10-2022 15:35, Mehmet Tekman wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to request some small changes be made on this page:
>  > https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Building-from-Git.html
> <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Building-from-Git.html>
>
> 1. Authenticating on a foreign distro
>
> When at the "make authenticate" stage of the build process on a foreign
> distro, this fails because it cannot find guix.
> I think it's because the `guix environment guix --pure' command doesn't
> include it, or obscures its path.
>
> As a workaround, I ran `PATH=/usr/local/bin/:$PATH make authenticate'

"guix environment guix" only includes the dependencies of guix, not Guix
itself.  Try "guix environment guix --pure guix" or "guix shell guix -D
guix" instead.

"guix environment guix --pure" does indeed 'obscure its path' -- that's
what --pure is for, if you don't want that, don't include --pure.

Both of these are independent of whether you are on a foreign distro or
Guix System.

> 2. Easy fix for failing `make check' tests
>
> I had a few failing tests on my foreign distro relating to setting locales.
> Digging around led me to this reddit thread for the solution:
>> https://old.reddit.com/r/GUIX/comments/jpq1uw/bashminimal507binbash_warning_setlocale_lc_all/
>
> Here they suggest running `sudo guix install glibc-locales` instead of as a user.
> Maybe this should be mentioned, since I'm not the only one coming to GUIX from another distro.

Despite the name on Reddit, the name is Guix, not GUIX.

Also, assuming you have installed the Guix daemon with your foreign
distro's package manager, this is a bug in the foreign distro's
packaging, see
<https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1012536> in case of
Debian.  You could ask your distro to do a similar fix.

Greetings,
Maxime.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: Small change request to the manual page "Building from Git"
@ 2022-10-10 14:18   ` Mehmet Tekman
From: Mehmet Tekman @ 2022-10-10 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

> Try "guix environment guix --pure guix" or "guix shell guix -D guix" instead.

Yes I understand, but the manual states that:

> The following command starts a new shell **where all the dependencies and appropriate environment variables are set up to hack on Guix**:
> guix environment guix --pure

This gives the impression that everything needed for `make
authenticate' to work is included in the above command (and I guess it
would be on the native distro).

I think a small sentence mentioning the extra Guix dependency for
non-native users isn't completely unwarranted, or perhaps maybe a hint
in the linked "invoking guix environment" page?

> Despite the name on Reddit, the name is Guix, not GUIX.

Noted, thank you

> Also, assuming you have installed the Guix daemon with your foreign distro's package manager, this is a bug in the foreign distro's packaging, see <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1012536> in case of Debian.
> You could ask your distro to do a similar fix.

Thanks, I'll report this to the package maintainer!

Best,
Mehmet

@ 2022-10-10 15:59     ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-10-10 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehmet Tekman; +Cc: guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1727 bytes --]

On 10-10-2022 16:18, Mehmet Tekman wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> Try "guix environment guix --pure guix" or "guix shell guix -D guix" instead.
>
> Yes I understand, but the manual states that:
>
>> The following command starts a new shell **where all the dependencies and appropriate environment variables are set up to hack on Guix**:
>> guix environment guix --pure

You are reading an old version of the manual, the latest version
mentions "guix shell -D guix --pure".

> This gives the impression that everything needed for `make
> authenticate' to work is included in the above command (and I guess it
> would be on the native distro).
>
 > I think a small sentence mentioning the extra Guix dependency for
 > non-native users isn't completely unwarranted, or perhaps maybe a hint
 > in the linked "invoking guix environment" page?

As I wrote previously, foreign system / Guix System makes no difference
-- in both cases, --pure changes the PATH, and not doing --pure should
get you the 'guix' from ~/.guix-profile/bin/guix if Guix is set up
previously.

I suppose removing --pure (from the manual) might solve this problem.
However, --pure appears to have been added for a reason
(commit 43ec98ef3025f67ff4f66b7da0bcb79a6f088042), so I expect the
solution is to rephrase things somehow (maybe something about running
"guix git authenticate" outside "guix shell -D guix").
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 at 11:08, Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> wrote:
 > [lots of text]

You seemed to have duplicated the previous mail here, but most e-mail
clients keep the previous mails available, so there's no need.  Not
top-posting also saves a little time for the reader.

@ 2022-10-10 16:18       ` Mehmet Tekman
From: Mehmet Tekman @ 2022-10-10 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: guix-devel

Sorry for the message duplication, it's the default with my email provider.

If "guix shell -D guix --pure" is included in the new version of the
manual, then I'm more than happy to drop my suggestion.
Thanks for the extra context, and the general tips!

Best,
Mehmet

* Re: Small change request to the manual page "Building from Git"
@ 2022-10-10 16:25         ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-10-10 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehmet Tekman; +Cc: guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 868 bytes --]

On 10-10-2022 18:18, Mehmet Tekman wrote:
> Sorry for the message duplication, it's the default with my email provider.
>
> If "guix shell -D guix --pure" is included in the new version of the
> manual, then I'm more than happy to drop my suggestion.
> Thanks for the extra context, and the general tips!

If you do "guix shell -D guix --pure", you are using --pure, and
consequently "guix git authenticate" and "make authenticate" will fail,
contrary to what you seem to want.

My proposal was:

@ 2022-10-10 16:32           ` Mehmet Tekman
From: Mehmet Tekman @ 2022-10-10 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: guix-devel

Oh right - then yes mentioning "guix git authenticate" outside of the
environment as a small note should be enough, I think.

* Re: Small change request to the manual page "Building from Git"
@ 2022-10-10 17:01         ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-10-10 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehmet Tekman, Maxime Devos; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

On lun., 10 oct. 2022 at 18:18, Mehmet Tekman <mtekman89@gmail.com> wrote:

> If "guix shell -D guix --pure" is included in the new version of the
> manual, then I'm more than happy to drop my suggestion.

You can find here the last version of the manual:

    https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/

Moreover, Guix also includes a local copy at $HOME/.config/guix/current/share/info/
and using an info reader, it should be configured by default, i.e.,

    info guix

displays the version of the manual for your current revision of Guix.

Hope that helps,
simon