all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem on installing GuixSD on a remote server using iPXE
@ 2019-07-02  5:54 Reza Alizadeh Majd
From: Reza Alizadeh Majd @ 2019-07-02  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

HI,

I want to install GuixSD using iPXE on a remote server, unfortunately I didn't find any useful starting point.

I had a review over iPXE documents and tried to mount installation iso using sanboot, but installation process hangs during boot process while it tries to load GRUB.

is there anyone have a previous experience about this, and guide me on this matter?

Thanks
Reza

* Re: Problem on installing GuixSD on a remote server using iPXE
@ 2019-07-02  6:58 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-07-02  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Alizadeh Majd; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Reza,

last time I tried installing Guix System with iPXE it also wouldn’t
work.  AFAICS this is an unimplemented feature.

IIRC it hung trying to find the root file system because of the peculiar
way Guix System boots.

I’d be very happy to see this implemented.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Problem on installing GuixSD on a remote server using iPXE
@ 2019-07-02  9:47   ` Reza Alizadeh Majd
From: Reza Alizadeh Majd @ 2019-07-02  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Thanks for your response.  You mean that the only way to use GuixSD
on a cloud server is to install it manually on some other existing Linux
Distribution?

Best,
Reza

@ 2019-07-02 11:55     ` Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2019-07-02 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Fwiw, I'm currently installing Guix manually from the boot ISO with
hetzner's VPSs.

You just have to ask them to make the ISO available as one of the boot
ISOs.

Don't know if that is more convenient than installing from another
distro though?

Alex