all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unexpected XDG and GTK+ with system reconfigure
@ 2019-04-13 14:42 mikadoZero
From: mikadoZero @ 2019-04-13 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I am seeing some unexpected activity listed in the output of
`guix system reconfigure`.

I am not expecting to see:

* XDG activity as the system configuration does not include anything
  related to xorg
* GTK+ activity as there are no graphical programs in the system
  configuration

The four unexpected activities are:

creating GTK+ icon theme cache...
building cache files for GTK+ input methods...
building XDG desktop file cache...
building XDG MIME database...

How can I stop these activities for happening when the system
reconfigures?

`which gtk+`
which: no gtx+ in ...

`which xorg-server`
which: no xorg-server in ...

The services and packages part of my system configuration are:

(use-service-modules networking ssh virtualization)
(use-package-modules certs virtualization)
  (packages (cons* nss-certs qemu %base-packages))
  (services (cons* (service dhcp-client-service-type)
		   (service openssh-service-type
			    (openssh-configuration
			     (port-number 2222)))
		   (service qemu-binfmt-service-type
			    (qemu-binfmt-configuration
			     (platforms
			      (lookup-qemu-platforms
			       "arm" "aarch64" "ppc" "mips64el"))
			     (guix-support? #t)))
		   %base-services)))

* Re: Unexpected XDG and GTK+ with system reconfigure
@ 2019-04-13 18:49 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2019-04-13 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mikadoZero; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

mikadoZero <mikadozero@yandex.com> writes:

> I am seeing some unexpected activity listed in the output of
> `guix system reconfigure`.
>
> I am not expecting to see:
>
> * XDG activity as the system configuration does not include anything
>   related to xorg
> * GTK+ activity as there are no graphical programs in the system
>   configuration
>
> The four unexpected activities are:
>
> creating GTK+ icon theme cache...
> building cache files for GTK+ input methods...

These two are done whenever GTK is in the transitive inputs of the
packages installed in the profile.

> building XDG desktop file cache...
> building XDG MIME database...

These two are done whenever GLib is in the transitive inputs of the
packages installed in the profile.

> The services and packages part of my system configuration are:

> (use-service-modules networking ssh virtualization)
> (use-package-modules certs virtualization)
>   (packages (cons* nss-certs qemu %base-packages))

Both GTK and GLib are in the (direct) inputs of QEMU.

Even if you removed QEMU, GLib is also in the transitive inputs of Guix
itself, via the dependency path Guix -> Graphviz -> GTS -> GLib.

There's probably room for improvement here, but it's not entirely clear
how to make an optimal decision about when these profile hooks are
needed.

       Mark

* Re: Unexpected XDG and GTK+ with system reconfigure
@ 2019-04-13 21:03   ` mikadoZero
From: mikadoZero @ 2019-04-13 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix

Thank you for explaining this.