all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* root zsh to bash
@ 2019-03-19 22:53 mikadoZero
From: mikadoZero @ 2019-03-19 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

I am trying to switch the root user from zsh to bash.

The relevant part of my system configuration is:

  (users (cons (user-account
	  (name "guix")
	  (group "users")
	  (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio"))
	  (home-directory "/home/guix"))
	       %base-user-accounts))

Reconfiguring and rebooting does not switch the shell for root.

The root user's shell is still zsh.  I know it is the zsh by it's prompt
string.

zsh is not listed as a package in the system configuration or the root
user's manifest.

`which zsh`
zsh not found

The line for root in /etc/passwd end with the shell:

/gnu/store/ia34lsanp33vaf32yhw2nnpnm2pc2g1y-zsh-5.6.2/bin/zsh

Any ideas of how I can get the root user's shell switched from zsh to
bash?

* Re: root zsh to bash
@ 2019-03-20 11:51 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-03-20 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mikadoZero; +Cc: Help Guix

mikadoZero <mikadozero@yandex.com> writes:

> I am trying to switch the root user from zsh to bash.
>
> The relevant part of my system configuration is:
>
>   (users (cons (user-account
> 	  (name "guix")
> 	  (group "users")
> 	  (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio"))
> 	  (home-directory "/home/guix"))
> 	       %base-user-accounts))

This is not an account definition for the “root” user.  The manual says
that the “root” user account is special:

 -- Scheme Variable: %base-user-accounts
     This is the list of basic system accounts that programs may expect
     to find on a GNU/Linux system, such as the “nobody” account.

     Note that the “root” account is not included here.  It is a
     special-case and is automatically added whether or not it is
     specified.

I suppose you can just use chsh to change the root user’s default shell.

--
Ricardo

* Re: root zsh to bash
@ 2019-03-21  0:47   ` mikadoZero
From: mikadoZero @ 2019-03-21  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Help Guix

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> mikadoZero <mikadozero@yandex.com> writes:
>
>> I am trying to switch the root user from zsh to bash.
>>
>> The relevant part of my system configuration is:
>>
>>   (users (cons (user-account
>> 	  (name "guix")
>> 	  (group "users")
>> 	  (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio"))
>> 	  (home-directory "/home/guix"))
>> 	       %base-user-accounts))
> I suppose you can just use chsh to change the root user’s default shell.

Thank you for the suggestion.

chsh did not work for me:
`chsh -s /run/current-system/profile/bin/bash`
chsh: PAM: Authentication failure

This worked for me:

add to .bash_profile:
export VISUAL="emacs"