all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* AVR toolchain and AVR libc
@ 2020-02-23 13:53 Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2020-02-23 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix\@gnu.org

Hi,

I'm having some issues with AVR toolchain.
I'm trying to compile QMK Firmware with Guix and it doesn't find the AVR header files. Checking my profile installation I find there are not `include` files for AVR-Libc.

Using guix edit avr-toolchain I read the following:

    (define (avr-toolchain avr-gcc)
      ;; avr-libc checks the compiler version and passes "--enable-device-lib" for avr-gcc > 5.1.0.
      ;; It wouldn't install the library for atmega32u4 etc if we didn't use the corret avr-gcc.

But I don't really understand what it means.
How can I install the avr-libc header files?

They are supposed to be included in avr-toolchain but looks like they aren't.

Thanks!

ElenQ Technology
Ethical Innovation

* Re: AVR toolchain and AVR libc
@ 2020-02-23 14:28 ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2020-02-23 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga, help-guix

If I remember correctly, our avr-toolchain@5.5.0 package is broken, but
the avr-toolchain@4.9.4 package works. Could you try with
avr-toolchain@4.9.4 and see if the problem still persists? I
successfully built the QMK firmware some half a year ago, and I used the
avr-toolchain 4.9 to do it.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: AVR toolchain and AVR libc
@ 2020-02-23 14:35   ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2020-02-23 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Hi,

OH! I wasn't aware of the errors on avr-toolchain 5.5.

Now I made this environment and it still fails.

guix environment --ad-hoc unzip wget avr-toolchain@4.9 dfu-programmer dfu-util gcc-toolchain arm-none-eabi-toolchain

Now the error is different:
/gnu/store/p7cs7wfvz26jyyr1qifkl68cr9i61ndq-profile/avr/include/avr/power.h:1149:1: error: function declaration isn't a prototype [-Werror=strict-prototypes]

As I'm using Guix as a package manager I was able to try to compile everything from my distro's package manager's tools and it worked...
I don't know what's going on on Guix.

Ideas?

@ 2020-02-23 17:50     ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2020-02-23 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: help-guix

> Now I made this environment and it still fails.
>
> guix environment --ad-hoc unzip wget avr-toolchain@4.9 dfu-programmer dfu-util gcc-toolchain arm-none-eabi-toolchain
>
> Now the error is different:
> /gnu/store/p7cs7wfvz26jyyr1qifkl68cr9i61ndq-profile/avr/include/avr/power.h:1149:1: error: function declaration isn't a prototype [-Werror=strict-prototypes]

This is the compiler treating the strict prototype warning as an
error. You could get around this by using the ALLOW_WARNINGS=yes
makeflag supported by the Makefile of the QMK firmware project.

make <make-target> ALLOW_WARNINGS=yes

I tested this on the latest master (commit
b353028ea5e0ac7b69e7fed4f224c7cb07015ec9) of the QMK firmware git repo
with ergodox_ez:default as the make target, and it builds
successfully. If you tell me what make target you are using, I could
check with that also.

> As I'm using Guix as a package manager I was able to try to compile
> everything from my distro's package manager's tools and it worked...
> I don't know what's going on on Guix.

Maybe, the avr-gcc or avr-libc version is different in Guix and your
other distro's package manager. That could be a reason for the
strict-prototype warning being triggered in one case but not in the
other.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: AVR toolchain and AVR libc
@ 2020-02-23 17:54       ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2020-02-23 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

> This is the compiler treating the strict prototype warning as an
> error. You could get around this by using the ALLOW_WARNINGS=yes
> makeflag supported by the Makefile of the QMK firmware project.
>
> make <make-target> ALLOW_WARNINGS=yes

It worked!
Thanks a lot.

* Re: AVR toolchain and AVR libc
@ 2020-02-23 22:46         ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2020-02-23 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

BTW, is there any resource point to why the package of the avr-toolchain 5.5 is broken?

I may spend some time trying to make it work.

ElenQ Technology
Ethical Innovation

@ 2020-02-24  7:15           ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2020-02-24  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

> BTW, is there any resource point to why the package of the
> avr-toolchain 5.5 is broken?

I searched through my mail and I don't remember exactly where I read
that avr-toolchain 5.5 is broken and avr-toolchain 4.9 works. I was only
able to find this very old thread hinting about the problem.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-08/msg00667.html

Please feel free to open a new bug report.

> I may spend some time trying to make it work.

That would be great! :-) It's a pain to have a package so important as
avr-toolchain not working for so long. If it can't be fixed immediately,
I think we should temporarily remove it so as to not frustrate users who
would expect it to work normally.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: AVR toolchain and AVR libc
@ 2020-02-28 15:52             ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2020-02-28 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

>> BTW, is there any resource point to why the package of the
>> avr-toolchain 5.5 is broken?
>
> I searched through my mail and I don't remember exactly where I read
> that avr-toolchain 5.5 is broken and avr-toolchain 4.9 works.

I found the bug report I was looking for. Hope that helps!

https://issues.guix.info/issue/24416

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: AVR toolchain and AVR libc
@ 2020-02-28 18:55               ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2020-02-28 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: help-guix\@gnu.org

> I found the bug report I was looking for. Hope that helps!
>
> https://issues.guix.info/issue/24416

Hi,

Thanks for the link, but I'm not sure if that solves anything I didn't solve by the proposition in the bug report I opened:

https://issues.guix.info/issue/39794

The idea was that taking the link you sent me in the past, it says "we don't use CROSS_* variables anymore". I understand that in the sense of "You have to use CPATH instead" so that's the change I proposed but I'm not sure if that's the best way to solve the issue or if I should follow the path proposed in the link.

Anyway, a second problem appears when it tries to find `stubs32.h`, which is supposed to be part of multilib... so it should be part of avr-libc in this case but it isn't even installed (I searched for it in my Guix profile with no success, but I find `stubs.h`).

Now I need to find why isn't it installed and make it work.

Any idea about how to make `stubs32.h` to be installed?

I think that's the only thing missing.

* Re: AVR toolchain and AVR libc
@ 2020-02-29 10:37                 ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2020-02-29 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)