all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: bo0od <bo0od@riseup.net>
To: Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>, 47846@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#47846: Feature Request: Add ability to disable having cache or generations
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 17:43:04 +0000	[thread overview]

 > There isn't really any caching

Im calling the saved old versions of software cache, So if there is
better term to use good.

 >    * P1 is kept around in case the user isn't satisfied, or is
feeling nastolgic
 >      or something

Yeah this is what im suggesting to have ability to disable this behavior
as an optional choice for the user (not by default).

 > In case of user packages, old generations are also saved.

Yeah no more "old" anything, Just latest fresh only.

 > About 200 GiB or so in my case, though admittedly that's partially
because
 > I never run "guix gc" or that command for deleting old generations

I have VM total is 29GB it goes as 20GB for guix system and 9GB swap =
nightmare of space (other distros this is more than enough specially
main/known one debian,fedora,trisquel/ubuntu...etc).

 > Well, having ... They are just sitting there under /gnu/store. A user
won't
 > accidentally see them or something.  Aside from
 > taking in disk space (see ‘Bloating the disk size’), this seems harmless.

Yeah not suitable for low space usages specially like mobile phones or
limited storage like VMs/VPS. So this is more of annoying thing to have
thus suggesting to have ability to disable it.

 > As long as you don't run the old versions, you should be fine.
 > If you actually run the old versions, then you'll get the old packages
 > with old security bugs.  If they can connect to the network, best
disconnect first.

Hmm not really always effective as guix system is as well targeting
servers so as (might be in the future) can be targeting mobile phones
both of them hard to keep internet off. But i got my answer to the
question from leo famulari which is these packages doesnt have access to
suid and thats the important part.

 > Yes, but let's at least keep the last few generations around.

Yeah this is optional for each user case, The default is that guix
keeping it anyway but if someone want to disable it he should be able to
do so and use guix just for getting latest software available.

 > So this would have to be run when there's only 10% disk
space left or something like that.

actually i get only 0.something left when upgrading guix on 20GB, So
without running the commands just no upgrades.

 > When you've the space, I recommend keeping the ‘old stuff’ around.
 > You'd never know whether you'll need it later!  In case you'll need
it later[..]

Thats true but not always you are able to have more space easily,
Sometimes you are limited with payment if you are working on remote
VPS/VM or using devices which are hard/expensive changing their hard
like mobiles/tablets.

This issue doesnt talk about my own case scenario but as any other user
which might have similar circumstances and guix without this suggested
feature wont help these users.

 > There's an unattended-upgrade-service for the system profile (if
that's the
 > result of operating-system).  Maybe we can have something similar for
user
 > profiles.

Anything which can overcome the problem of having limited disk space.

 > This in-place replacement you seem to be suggesting, is rather
counter one of
 > the primary goals of Guix (and Nix, for that matter) --- functional
package
 > management.
 >
 > Automatically deleting the previous profile and trying to delete the
previous
 > version whenever possible could be possible, but I'm not sure it's
worth it.

Any method not a problem since this feature going to be optional side
feature anyway.

Create the suitable way of doing it and i will test and report back if
there is any problems.

 > Of course, what you decide to hack on, what approaches you'll take, etc.
 > is up to you!

So when i open feature request ticket i should answer myself and do it?

No, I want this from upstream to be implemented as a feature its not
about me only but any scenario which has the same problem because guix
doesnt give solutions for limited space (and 20GB is not small storage
for GNU/Linux distro)

Maxime Devos: