all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: bo0od <bo0od@riseup.net>
To: Leo Prikler <leo.prikler@student.tugraz.at>, 47846@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#47846: Feature Request: Add ability to disable having cache or generations
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 18:02:09 +0000	[thread overview]

 > It is common enough for desktop PCs and laptops, which is the use case
 > I'm talking about here.

The entire feature im requesting is not for common things but for
specific use cases.

 > I'm fairly certain you should be able to get test environments, that
 > fit this size via `guix environment', but if that's your plan, you
 > shouldn't do much else with the space you have.

Im not sure im following how this solve the issue im describing.

 > Might I ask if you're
 > the kind to keep a separate /home?

No, I use everything default and try finding enhancements,bugs after
that. (bugs easier to be reproduced by others when you have strange
behaviors).

 > though of
 > course, Debian, Arch, Gentoo etc. are all different distributions, that
 > produce it as a side-effect of what they're actually trying to do.

"as a side-effect" not sure what do you mean.

 > How did other distributions "adopt this feature" in your opinion?

Not sure how is this question correct as other distributions doesnt have
rollback/generations..etc options in order to adopt anything from others
except NixOS which i didnt yet asked them about this (I hope i wont be
forced to use Nix instead of Guix).

Good projects to look at which are actually rolling distros:

Voidlinux(xbps)<- Good starting point/features, Arch(pacman).
Worth mentioning: Kali(apt), Gentoo(portage).

And if Nix going to provide such a similar feature then that would be
interested to check on as well (maybe easier way to see it as well
implemented within guix).

Leo Prikler: