all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Changed tty setting upon exiting docker run
@ 2022-02-10 19:22 phodina via
From: phodina via @ 2022-02-10 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I've recently discovered an issue with running docker images. Upon exit I can't see any characters I type. The settings of my tty are changed for some reason.

They can be fixed by running stty sane but I'd like to ask if somebody also has this issue?

Here's what happens:

$ stty
speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
-brkint -imaxbel
$ docker run --rm -it ubuntu
root@a0a76c5fdd94:/# stty
speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
-brkint -imaxbel
root@a0a76c5fdd94:/# exit
$stty
speed 0 baud; line = 0;uix$
-brkint -icrnl -imaxbel
-opost -onlcr
-isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke
$ stty sane
$ stty
speed 0 baud; line = 0;

If I run the command without the '-t' argument it does not augment the tty but also the tty in docker is not usable.

$ stty
speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
-brkint -imaxbel iutf8
$ docker run -i ubuntu
stty
stty: 'standard input': Inappropriate ioctl for device
$ stty
speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
-brkint -imaxbel iutf8

----
Petr

* Re: Changed tty setting upon exiting docker run
@ 2022-03-08 10:23 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-03-08 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina via

Hi,

phodina via <help-guix@gnu.org> skribis:

> I've recently discovered an issue with running docker images. Upon exit I can't see any characters I type. The settings of my tty are changed for some reason.
>
> They can be fixed by running stty sane but I'd like to ask if somebody also has this issue?
>
> Here's what happens:
>
> $ stty
> speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
> -brkint -imaxbel
> $ docker run --rm -it ubuntu
> root@a0a76c5fdd94:/# stty
> speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
> -brkint -imaxbel
> root@a0a76c5fdd94:/# exit
> $stty
> speed 0 baud; line = 0;uix$
> -brkint -icrnl -imaxbel
> -opost -onlcr
> -isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke
> $ stty sane
> $ stty
> speed 0 baud; line = 0;
>
> If I run the command without the '-t' argument it does not augment the tty but also the tty in docker is not usable.

So it’s when you leave the container that tty properties change, right?

How did you create this container image?

If it was created with ‘guix system container’, it might contain (?)
Shepherd services like ‘term-tty1’, which I thought could interfere with
the host system, but I’m not sure.

Thanks,
Ludo’.