all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Thank you for using Emacs
       [not found] <mailman.9987.1694965840.1172.guix-devel@gnu.org>
@ 2023-09-18 13:10 ` Peter Polidoro
From: Peter Polidoro @ 2023-09-18 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

MSavoritias <email@msavoritias.me> writes:

> I go to the manual to learn package management,
> https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Package-Management
>
> Apparently i have to either use the terminal or something called
> emacs.
> If I follow the guide located here:
> https://emacs-guix.gitlab.io/website/manual/latest/emacs-guix.html#Installation
>
> It says to install emacs-guix. Okay. So apparently it is an
> Emacs thing,
> whatever that means. And when you start Emacs after installing
> the
> package, you are going to end up with Emacs in its plain form.
> Unfamiliar keybindings, no autocomplete, etc. Well thats no to
> Emacs
> then. The other thing is the terminal apparently. Horrible, but
> at least
> it works.

You make a very good point, being exposed to Emacs for the very
first time in this way would be a terrible experience and listing
alternative options would be very beneficial.

However, I would just like to say "Thank you!" to everyone here
for using Emacs in the manual.

For my entire career in hardware engineering, I have felt like an
outcast for using Emacs and being passionate about free software.
When everyone else on a team or in a company or organization uses
proprietary software only, it is very isolating and career
limiting to stay committed to the free software and hardware
movements.

So while you may not win any popularity contests by using Emacs in
the manual, just know that it is very much appreciated by some of
us.

* Re: Thank you for using Emacs
@ 2023-09-18 14:45   ` MSavoritias
From: MSavoritias @ 2023-09-18 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Polidoro, guix-devel

On 9/18/23 16:10, Peter Polidoro wrote:

> MSavoritias <email@msavoritias.me> writes:
>
>> I go to the manual to learn package management,
>> https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Package-Management
>>
>> Apparently i have to either use the terminal or something called
>> emacs. If I follow the guide located here:
>> https://emacs-guix.gitlab.io/website/manual/latest/emacs-guix.html#Installation
>>
>> It says to install emacs-guix. Okay. So apparently it is an Emacs
>> thing, whatever that means. And when you start Emacs after installing
>> the package, you are going to end up with Emacs in its plain form.
>> Unfamiliar keybindings, no autocomplete, etc. Well thats no to Emacs
>> then. The other thing is the terminal apparently. Horrible, but at
>> least it works.
>
> You make a very good point, being exposed to Emacs for the very first
> time in this way would be a terrible experience and listing
> alternative options would be very beneficial.
>
> However, I would just like to say "Thank you!" to everyone here for
> using Emacs in the manual.
>
> For my entire career in hardware engineering, I have felt like an
> outcast for using Emacs and being passionate about free software. When
> everyone else on a team or in a company or organization uses
> proprietary software only, it is very isolating and career limiting to
> stay committed to the free software and hardware movements.
>
> So while you may not win any popularity contests by using Emacs in the
> manual, just know that it is very much appreciated by some of us.

Its not Emacs per se. Its more like vanilla Emacs. I very much like
Emacs. The idea of it at least.

What i meant more was:

- Offer an alternative to Emacs.

- Specify a distro like doom Emacs that comes with better defaults.

I would maybe lean towards the second one i here fyi. I agree it would
be nice to introduce people to lisp modifiable editors :D

And for guile specifically to offer guile-studio instead of plain Emacs.

MSavoritias

* Re: Thank you for using Emacs
@ 2023-09-18 14:51     ` Peter Polidoro
From: Peter Polidoro @ 2023-09-18 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MSavoritias; +Cc: guix-devel

MSavoritias <email@msavoritias.me> writes:

> What i meant more was:
>
> - Offer an alternative to Emacs.
>
> - Specify a distro like doom Emacs that comes with better
> defaults.
>
> I would maybe lean towards the second one i here fyi. I agree it
> would be nice
> to introduce people to lisp modifiable editors :D

I would lean towards the first option of adding a totally
different alternative to Emacs, the simpler the better.

Introducing anyone to Emacs for the first time, Doom, vanilla, or
otherwise, in the manual is just going down a rabbit hole of
raising more questions than it answers.

I really appreciate that Emacs documentation is in the manual for
those who already use it, but there must be way easier free
software options out there.

* Re: Thank you for using Emacs
@ 2023-09-19  0:06     ` kiasoc5
From: kiasoc5 @ 2023-09-19  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MSavoritias; +Cc: Peter Polidoro, guix-devel

On 2023-09-18 16:45, MSavoritias wrote:
> And for guile specifically to offer guile-studio instead of plain
> Emacs.

Speaking of guile studio:

- The homepage for the package is Guile's homepage, not guile-studio's
(https://git.elephly.net/software/guile-studio)
- There is no mention of Guile studio anywhere in the Guix manual or
cookbook

So, the visibility of Guile Studio is rather low. Indeed, I only found
it while searching for Guile libraries, not for Emacs specifically.

It would be nice to put this Emacs starter kit front-and-center, at
least in the Guix manual. Perhaps the Guile project could make it the
official IDE? :D