all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Testing small changes to upstream Guix repo
@ 2019-10-08 13:47 David Wilson
From: David Wilson @ 2019-10-08 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi all!

I've got a one-line change I'd like to make to the XFCE package config with the hopes of submitting a patch. What is the quickest way to make that change and reconfigure my local system to test it out? I assume it might be one of the following options:

1. Find where the Guix repo gets cloned locally and make the change there
2. Clone the Guix repo myself, change the file, and somehow replace the upstream channel with my local repo path

There must be an easy way to do this but I wasn't able to find it by quickly browsing through the manual.

Thanks!

David

* Re: Testing small changes to upstream Guix repo
@ 2019-10-08 15:33 ` Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2019-10-08 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Wilson; +Cc: guix-devel

> 2. Clone the Guix repo myself, change the file, and somehow replace the upstream channel with my local repo path

$ git clone -b master --depth 1 https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git guix-foobar
$ cd guix-foobar
$ guix environment --pure guix --ad-hoc git guile-readline guile-json nano
(env)$ ./bootstrap
(env)$ ./configure --localstatedir=/var
(env)$ make -j5
# Make sure it succeeds.
# Lately it was broken for unrelated reasons (po files)--you don't want to
# confuse those errors with errors your change could have caused.
(env)$ nano gnu/packages/baz.scm
# Edit your package or whatever it is
(env)$ make -j5
(env)$ exit
$ ./pre-inst-env guix build -K blah
# On build failure, examine /tmp/guix-build-blah* directory
# If you want, install the new package into your profile:
$ ./pre-inst-env guix package -i blah

* Re: Testing small changes to upstream Guix repo
@ 2019-10-11 12:54   ` David Wilson
From: David Wilson @ 2019-10-11 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Milosavljevic; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Danny,

Thanks so much for these steps, they worked perfectly for me.  The manual has the necessary commands laid out a bit too sparsely; having them concisely presented like this got me over the hurdle.

David