all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Choose devices according to linux-libre code
@ 2018-10-28 18:45 znavko
From: znavko @ 2018-10-28 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix, Bug Guix

Hello, Guix Help!

As I've got here https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-10/msg00083.html <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-10/msg00083.html>
some devices cannot work without linux-firmware, requiring non-free software drivers. It is so bad.

I believe the issue can be solved by choosing devices that have proper support by linux-libre code. So how to do this? Is there any info how to choose devices working nice on linux-libre?

* Re: Choose devices according to linux-libre code
@ 2018-10-28 18:47 ` znavko
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: znavko @ 2018-10-28 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

I use Lenovo G50-30 https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/g-series/g50-30 <https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/g-series/g50-30/>

But when I will choose new PC it will be interesting to know.

28. Oct 2018 21:45 by znavko@tutanota.com <mailto:znavko@tutanota.com>:

> Hello, Guix Help!
>
> As I've got here > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-10/msg00083.html <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-10/msg00083.html>
> some devices cannot work without linux-firmware, requiring non-free software drivers. It is so bad.
>
> I believe the issue can be solved by choosing devices that have proper support by linux-libre code. So how to do this? Is there any info how to choose devices working nice on linux-libre?

* bug#33190: Choose devices according to linux-libre code
@ 2018-10-30  9:56 ` swedebugia
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: swedebugia @ 2018-10-30  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko, help-guix, 33190

Hi

Yes. See https://h-node.org/hardware/catalogue/en

--
---
Swedebugia

* Re: bug#33190: Choose devices according to linux-libre code
@ 2018-10-30  9:56 ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-10-30  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko, help-guix, 33190

Hi

On 2018-10-28 19:45, znavko@tutanota.com wrote:
> As I've got here
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-10/msg00083.html
> some devices cannot work without linux-firmware, requiring non-free
> software drivers. It is so bad.
>
> I believe the issue can be solved by choosing devices that have proper
> support by linux-libre code. So how to do this? Is there any info how
> to choose devices working nice on linux-libre?
Yes. See https://h-node.org/hardware/catalogue/en

--
---
Swedebugia

* bug#33190: Choose devices according to linux-libre code
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-11-22  9:28 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-11-22  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix, 33190-done

Hello,

<znavko@tutanota.com> skribis:

> As I've got here
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-10/msg00083.html
> some devices cannot work without linux-firmware, requiring non-free
> software drivers. It is so bad.
>
> I believe the issue can be solved by choosing devices that have proper
> support by linux-libre code. So how to do this? Is there any info how
> to choose devices working nice on linux-libre?

The manual gives a couple of hints:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Hardware-Considerations.html

The problem is of course not specific to GuixSD, that’s why the manual
refers to H-Node, but there are probably other similar resources out
there.

HTH,
Ludo’.

* Re: bug#33190: Choose devices according to linux-libre code
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-11-22  9:28 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-11-22  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix, 33190-done