all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* bug#48700: guix import fails with unexpected token
@ 2021-05-27 13:08 Philip Munksgaard
  2021-05-27 19:54 ` zimoun
                   ` (2 more replies)
  0 siblings, 3 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Philip Munksgaard @ 2021-05-27 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 48700

Trying to to import futhark from hackage fails, when using the -r flag.

$ guix import hackage -r futhark
user with UID 497492280 not found

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.MqWnPq
From https://hackage.haskell.org/package/futhark/futhark-0.19.5.tar.gz...
 …19.5.tar.gz  959KiB                 6.6MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
user with UID 497492280 not found

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.ZPWyOq
From https://hackage.haskell.org/package/bytestring-to-vector/bytestring-to-vector-0.3.0.1.tar.gz...
 …tor-0.3.0.1.tar.gz  4KiB            9.4MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
user with UID 497492280 not found

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.bjbYYp
From https://hackage.haskell.org/package/bmp/bmp-1.2.6.3.tar.gz...
 ….3.tar.gz  10KiB                   23.7MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
user with UID 497492280 not found

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.uhGsUr
From https://hackage.haskell.org/package/directory-tree/directory-tree-0.12.1.tar.gz...
 …-0.12.1.tar.gz  12KiB              15.1MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
user with UID 497492280 not found

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.SUjZRr
From https://hackage.haskell.org/package/language-c-quote/language-c-quote-0.13.tar.gz...
 …te-0.13.tar.gz  74KiB               4.2MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
user with UID 497492280 not found

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.W3CjMq
From https://hackage.haskell.org/package/mainland-pretty/mainland-pretty-0.7.1.tar.gz...
 …y-0.7.1.tar.gz  10KiB              11.8MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
user with UID 497492280 not found

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.K7aEUp
From https://hackage.haskell.org/package/neat-interpolation/neat-interpolation-0.5.1.2.tar.gz...
 …on-0.5.1.2.tar.gz  6KiB             9.7MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
user with UID 497492280 not found

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.ovhTIs
From https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pcg-random/pcg-random-0.1.3.7.tar.gz...
 ….1.3.7.tar.gz  25KiB                3.5MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
user with UID 497492280 not found

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.nj5C8q
From https://hackage.haskell.org/package/srcloc/srcloc-0.6.tar.gz...
 ….6.tar.gz  4KiB                     9.9MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
Syntax error: unexpected token : common (at line 36, column 0)
Syntax error: unexpected end of input
Backtrace:
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  1736:10 17 (with-exception-handler _ _ #:unwind? _ # _)
In unknown file:
          16 (apply-smob/0 #<thunk 7fad568fb520>)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
    718:2 15 (call-with-prompt _ _ #<procedure default-prompt-handle…>)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    619:8 14 (_ #(#(#<directory (guile-user) 7fad568fec80>)))
In guix/ui.scm:
  2166:12 13 (run-guix-command _ . _)
In guix/scripts/import.scm:
   120:11 12 (guix-import . _)
In guix/scripts/import/hackage.scm:
   132:26 11 (guix-import-hackage . _)
In guix/import/utils.scm:
   477:27 10 (recursive-import _ #:repo->guix-package _ #:guix-name _ …)
In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
   586:29  9 (map1 _)
   586:29  8 (map1 _)
   586:29  7 (map1 _)
   586:29  6 (map1 _)
   586:29  5 (map1 _)
   586:29  4 (map1 (("neat-interpolation" #f) ("pcg-random" #f) (…) …))
   586:29  3 (map1 (("pcg-random" #f) ("srcloc" #f) ("versions" #f)))
   586:29  2 (map1 (("srcloc" #f) ("versions" #f)))
   586:17  1 (map1 (("versions" #f)))
In guix/import/utils.scm:
   466:33  0 (lookup-node "versions" #f)

guix/import/utils.scm:466:33: In procedure lookup-node:
Wrong number of values returned to continuation (expected 2)




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#48700: guix import fails with unexpected token
  2021-05-27 13:08 bug#48700: guix import fails with unexpected token Philip Munksgaard
@ 2021-05-27 19:54 ` zimoun
  2021-05-30 16:38 ` Philip Munksgaard
  2021-06-10 12:20 ` Philip Munksgaard
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: zimoun @ 2021-05-27 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Munksgaard; +Cc: 48700

Hi,

On Thu, 27 May 2021 at 15:08, "Philip Munksgaard" <philip@munksgaard.me> wrote:
> Trying to to import futhark from hackage fails, when using the -r
> flag.

Thanks for the report.  I think it is the same as:

<http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/44115>


All the best,
simon.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#48700: guix import fails with unexpected token
  2021-05-27 13:08 bug#48700: guix import fails with unexpected token Philip Munksgaard
  2021-05-27 19:54 ` zimoun
@ 2021-05-30 16:38 ` Philip Munksgaard
  2021-06-10  9:41   ` zimoun
  2021-06-10 12:20 ` Philip Munksgaard
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Philip Munksgaard @ 2021-05-30 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 48700

As far as I can tell, this is actually an instance of https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48701. You can close this issue in favor of that one.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#48700: guix import fails with unexpected token
  2021-05-30 16:38 ` Philip Munksgaard
@ 2021-06-10  9:41   ` zimoun
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: zimoun @ 2021-06-10  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Munksgaard; +Cc: 48700

Hi,

On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 18:38, "Philip Munksgaard" <philip@munksgaard.me> wrote:
> As far as I can tell, this is actually an instance of
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48701. You can close this issue in favor of that
> one.

From my understanding, no.  I propose to unmerge.  WDYT?

The bug#48700 is a duplicate of bug#44115 (recursive importers).  For
instance, a first attempt to fix it is proposed by patch#45984; a new
version should come soon. :-)

But bug#48701 is not related, instead it is related to the Cabal
implemented by Guix.


For instance, this works:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
for p in bytestring-to-vector bmp directory-tree language-c-quote mainland-pretty neat-interpolation pcg-random srcloc; \
do
  guix import hackage $p -r ;
done

guix import hackage futhark
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

i.e., the option recursive with ’futhark’ goes to ’recursive-import’
from (guix import utils) and the ’node’ is not always well-formed when
’lookup-node’ as explained in #44115 and #45984.


<http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/44115>
<http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/45984>

All the best,
simon




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#48700: guix import fails with unexpected token
  2021-05-27 13:08 bug#48700: guix import fails with unexpected token Philip Munksgaard
  2021-05-27 19:54 ` zimoun
  2021-05-30 16:38 ` Philip Munksgaard
@ 2021-06-10 12:20 ` Philip Munksgaard
  2021-06-10 13:02   ` zimoun
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Philip Munksgaard @ 2021-06-10 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 48700

Hi zimoun,

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that this issue is an instance of bug#44115 because we get a backtrace instead of a nice error. I agree that the backtrace is ugly, but in this case the error shouldn't happen at all because all the recursively imported packages exist.

The reason why the backtrace occurs is that the cabal-file for one of the recursively imported dependencies (versions) cannot be parsed using the current version of guix/import/cabal.scm. You'll find that `guix import hackage -r futhark` works as expected with the submitted patch#48943.

Furthermore, I actually think that a backtrace _is_ desirable in this case, because it is an error in the script, and not in the users input or some third-party repository.

As you say, your example works, but you've forgotten the "versions" dependency. If you add that to your list it will not work.

Best regards,
Philip




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#48700: guix import fails with unexpected token
  2021-06-10 12:20 ` Philip Munksgaard
@ 2021-06-10 13:02   ` zimoun
  2021-06-10 13:29     ` Philip Munksgaard
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: zimoun @ 2021-06-10 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Munksgaard; +Cc: 48700

Hi,

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 at 14:22, Philip Munksgaard <philip@munksgaard.me> wrote:

> If I understand you correctly, you're saying that this issue is an instance of bug#44115 because we get a backtrace instead of a nice error. I agree that the backtrace is ugly, but in this case the error shouldn't happen at all because all the recursively imported packages exist.

Your point is that parsing the Cabal file of the package "versions"
fails.  Mine is, somehow, instead of an ugly backtrace (whatever the
reason), the error for "guix import hackage futhark -r" should be:

  Syntax error: unexpected token : common (at line 36, column 0)
  Syntax error: unexpected end of input
  guix import: error: échec du téléchargement du fichier cabal du
paquet « versions »

as it is for "guix import hackage versions".

> The reason why the backtrace occurs is that the cabal-file for one of the recursively imported dependencies (versions) cannot be parsed using the current version of guix/import/cabal.scm. You'll find that `guix import hackage -r futhark` works as expected with the submitted patch#48943.

Yeah.  I started to give a look for fixing.  Thanks to be faster. :-)

> Furthermore, I actually think that a backtrace _is_ desirable in this case, because it is an error in the script, and not in the users input or some third-party repository.

My opinion is getting a Backtrace is always a poor user experience.
Well, matter of taste. ;-)


> As you say, your example works, but you've forgotten the "versions" dependency. If you add that to your list it will not work.

Yeah, right.  I did too quickly but it does not change my point above. :-)

Thanks,
simon




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* bug#48700: guix import fails with unexpected token
  2021-06-10 13:02   ` zimoun
@ 2021-06-10 13:29     ` Philip Munksgaard
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Philip Munksgaard @ 2021-06-10 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: 48700

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021, at 15:02, zimoun wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 at 14:22, Philip Munksgaard <philip@munksgaard.me> wrote:
> 
> > If I understand you correctly, you're saying that this issue is an instance of bug#44115 because we get a backtrace instead of a nice error. I agree that the backtrace is ugly, but in this case the error shouldn't happen at all because all the recursively imported packages exist.
> 
> Your point is that parsing the Cabal file of the package "versions"
> fails.  Mine is, somehow, instead of an ugly backtrace (whatever the
> reason), the error for "guix import hackage futhark -r" should be:
> 
>   Syntax error: unexpected token : common (at line 36, column 0)
>   Syntax error: unexpected end of input
>   guix import: error: échec du téléchargement du fichier cabal du
> paquet « versions »
> 
> as it is for "guix import hackage versions".
> 

Good point, I agree that would be nicer. The backtrace was not my concern when submitting this bug, but it doesn't really matter as long as both issues are fixed :-)




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-06-10 13:32 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-05-27 13:08 bug#48700: guix import fails with unexpected token Philip Munksgaard
2021-05-27 19:54 ` zimoun
2021-05-30 16:38 ` Philip Munksgaard
2021-06-10  9:41   ` zimoun
2021-06-10 12:20 ` Philip Munksgaard
2021-06-10 13:02   ` zimoun
2021-06-10 13:29     ` Philip Munksgaard

all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://yhetil.org/guix

Example config snippet for mirrors.


AGPL code for this site: git clone http://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/public-inbox.git