all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unable to make guix master branch for over a week
@ 2024-05-01 14:10 Peter Polidoro
From: Peter Polidoro @ 2024-05-01 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I have been unable to make the guix repository master branch
without it failing due to errors for maybe a week or more.

I am just curious if the repository occasionally gets into a
broken state and I just need to wait until some set of commits
fixes it eventually or if that means that something is wrong with
the particular setup on my machine.

I make the guix repository with the command:
cd ~/guix && git checkout master && git clean -xdf && git checkout
. && git pull && guix shell -D guix --pure -- sh -c "./bootstrap
&& ./configure --localstatedir=/var && make -j$(nproc)"

I am running guix on x86_64 Debian stable as a foreign distro, but running guix shell --pure should keep me isolated well enough from the particulars of my machine correct?

* Re: Unable to make guix master branch for over a week
@ 2024-05-01 14:20 ` Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2024-05-01 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Polidoro; +Cc: help-guix

On 2024-05-01 10:10:28 -0400, Peter Polidoro wrote:
> I have been unable to make the guix repository master branch without it
> failing due to errors for maybe a week or more.
>
> I am just curious if the repository occasionally gets into a broken state
> and I just need to wait until some set of commits fixes it eventually

Sometimes (rarely) it does happen.

> or if that means that something is wrong with the particular setup on my
> machine.
>
> I make the guix repository with the command:
> cd ~/guix && git checkout master && git clean -xdf && git checkout . && git
> pull && guix shell -D guix --pure -- sh -c "./bootstrap && ./configure
> --localstatedir=/var && make -j$(nproc)"

Could you perhaps share the error you got?

> I am running guix on x86_64 Debian stable as a foreign distro, but running guix shell --pure should keep me isolated well enough from the particulars of my machine correct?

Often yes, however sometimes there are issues due to your Guix being too old
(since the `shell -D guix' uses package versions from *your* Guix version, not
from the repository).  However this issue is also somewhat rare.

Have a nice day,
Tomas Volf

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Unable to make guix master branch for over a week
@ 2024-05-02 17:02   ` Peter Polidoro
From: Peter Polidoro @ 2024-05-02 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Tomas Volf <~@wolfsden.cz> writes:

> Could you perhaps share the error you got?

  DOT      doc/images/service-graph.png
Error: Could not set character size
make[2]: *** [Makefile:7330: doc/images/service-graph.png] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/polidorop/guix'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:6302: all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/polidorop/guix'
make: *** [Makefile:4369: all] Error 2

> Often yes, however sometimes there are issues due to your Guix being too old
> (since the `shell -D guix' uses package versions from *your* Guix version, not
> from the repository).  However this issue is also somewhat rare.

I always upgrade my guix version right before attempting to make the guix repository.

Perhaps it would be better for me to use a channels file and guix time-machine when making the guix repository? If so, what would be the best commit to use when making the head of the master branch, the previous commit on the master branch? Would it make sense for the guix repository to include a channel file for properly making itself using time-machine for shell -D guix?

* Re: Unable to make guix master branch for over a week
@ 2024-05-03  8:43     ` Guillaume Le Vaillant
From: Guillaume Le Vaillant @ 2024-05-03  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Polidoro; +Cc: help-guix

Peter Polidoro <peter@polidoro.io> skribis:

> Tomas Volf <~@wolfsden.cz> writes:
>>
>> Could you perhaps share the error you got?
>>

>   DOT      doc/images/service-graph.png
> Error: Could not set character size
> make[2]: *** [Makefile:7330: doc/images/service-graph.png] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/polidorop/guix'
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:6302: all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/polidorop/guix'
> make: *** [Makefile:4369: all] Error 2

Hi.
I also go this error recently. I was able to make it work by using
a container with "guix shell -C -D guix -- make".
After that it worked wether I used the "-C" option or not.
So it looks like something from my home environment is making the "dot"
command behave differently...

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Unable to make guix master branch for over a week
@ 2024-05-06 13:53       ` Peter Polidoro
From: Peter Polidoro @ 2024-05-06 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Guillaume Le Vaillant <glv@posteo.net> writes:

> I also go this error recently. I was able to make it work by
> using a container with "guix shell -C -D guix -- make".

That works, thanks!

Is it possible for ./pre-inst-env guix build to also be affected by my home environment? If so, is it possible to run that in a container as well for better isolation?

* Re: Unable to make guix master branch for over a week
@ 2024-05-08  9:24         ` Guillaume Le Vaillant
From: Guillaume Le Vaillant @ 2024-05-08  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Polidoro; +Cc: help-guix