all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Servname not supported
@ 2019-06-11 19:08 Dustin Rayner
From: Dustin Rayner @ 2019-06-11 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

Greetings,

I've been following guix for a while now, and decided to install guix on debian to get started learning.

Following the binary installation instructions for guix 1.0.1, I'm able to progress to the end.

However, guix install hello and guix pull both fail. I've verified network access, but the error I receive is:

In procedure getaddrinfo: Servname not supported for ai_socktype

Every package fails to download with this error. What am I doing wrong? What steps can I take to fix this?

Thank you in advance,
Dustin

* Re: Servname not supported
@ 2019-06-12  9:52 ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2019-06-12  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dustin Rayner, help-guix@gnu.org

Hello Dustin,

Dustin Rayner <dustin.rayner@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> However, guix install hello and guix pull both fail. I've verified
> network access, but the error I receive is:
>
> In procedure getaddrinfo: Servname not supported for ai_socktype

What if you try `whois gnu.org` on that host? Do you get the same error?
[1]

This seems not related to Guix, please can your check permissions on
/etc/services (ls -lah /etc/services) on your host?

They should be:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19K dic 26  2016 /etc/services

If others (including your normal user) cannot read /etc/services they
get this error.

I never had similar issues in the past, but I can reproduce this on my
host.

$ sudo chmod o-r /etc/services
$ LC_ALL=C whois gnu.org
getaddrinfo(whois.pir.org): Servname not supported for ai_socktype

`sudo chmod o+r /etc/services` fixed the above error.

Does it help? Gio'.

[1] https://askubuntu.com/questions/742613/network-aplications-throwing-servname-not-supported-for-ai-socktype

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Servname not supported
@ 2019-06-17 19:37   ` Dustin Rayner
From: Dustin Rayner @ 2019-06-17 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org, Giovanni Biscuolo

Hello Dustin, Dustin Rayner writes: [...] > However, guix install hello and guix pull both fail. I've verified > network access, but the error I receive is: > > In procedure getaddrinfo: Servname not supported for ai_socktype What if you try `whois gnu.org` on that host? Do you get the same error?

I can confirm that you were correct.
This fixed my issue. I can also confirm that this is repeatable for a fresh install of Debian. I'm confirming here in case othrs encounter this problem. Thanks for your help!

Dustin