all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GuixSD doesn't boot on UEFI
@ 2019-07-26 15:37 lukasbf
From: lukasbf @ 2019-07-26 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello everyone,
GuixSD Installer freezes my UEFI-only PC, image was successfully verified over gpg.
Please help.

Lukas Friedrich

* Re: GuixSD doesn't boot on UEFI
@ 2019-07-26 15:57 ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-07-26 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lukasbf, help-guix

I had black screen when Guix Installer loaded (it is really buggy), I just switched to another tty.
Do you see boot messages or what is going after you choose usb as boot device?
Can you press Alt + f5 to open another tty?

@ 2019-07-26 16:47   ` lukasbf
From: lukasbf @ 2019-07-26 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: Help Guix

I it freezes my UEFI so it doesn't boot... No GRUB, no GNU Shepard, nothing...
:(

26. Juli 2019, 17:57 von znavko@disroot.org:

@ 2019-07-26 20:18     ` Jack Hill
From: Jack Hill @ 2019-07-26 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lukasbf; +Cc: Help Guix

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019, lukasbf@tutanota.com wrote:

> I it freezes my UEFI so it doesn't boot... No GRUB, no GNU Shepard, nothing...
> :(

Lukas,

Wow, when it fails that early in the process, there is not that much to go
on. Have you tried booting other other (non-Guix) media. It would be
interesting to know if other live media (e.g.
https://wiki.parabola.nu/Get_Parabola ) works for you.

How are you loading Guix unto your boot media? It might be interesting to
try a CD or USB if you've only tried one so far.

This might be getting ahead of ourselves, but even if you can't get the
Guix installer to boot, you may still be able to get Guix installed on
your computer. Options are to connect the disk to a different computer and
use Guix (potentially installed on a foreign distro) there to do the
installation on the disk, and move it to the target computer once
installed. I had to do this recently for a host that would not boot from
external media. A variation on this theme would be to install use the Guix
binary distribution on different live media that you are able to boot.

Also, if you hava way to do it, updating to the latest version of your
UEFI code might be a good idea.

What computer and UEFI are you using?

Best,
Jack

* Re: GuixSD doesn't boot on UEFI
@ 2019-07-27 10:31       ` lukasbf
From: lukasbf @ 2019-07-27 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Hill; +Cc: Help Guix

I have a Trekstor Surfbook A13B running Parabola (so other installers/distros work fine)
Installer works on other PCs, so the installer is not corrupt.

Jul 26, 2019, 10:18 PM by jackhill@jackhill.us:

@ 2019-07-28 11:04 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-07-28 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lukasbf; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Lukas,

> GuixSD Installer freezes my UEFI-only PC, image was successfully verified over gpg.
> Please help.

What graphics card does it have?  Could it be that the screen is blank,
but the system has actually booted?  In that case it may be possible to
work around this with a kernel argument.

--
Ricardo

* Re: GuixSD doesn't boot on UEFI
@ 2019-07-28 11:13         ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2019-07-28 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lukasbf; +Cc: Help Guix

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 12:31:55PM +0200, lukasbf@tutanota.com wrote:
> I have a Trekstor Surfbook A13B running Parabola (so other installers/distros work fine)
> Installer works on other PCs, so the installer is not corrupt.

1.0.1 still freezes old Macbooks; the patch fixing this behavior was
commited after 1.0.1.  Does the ci.guix.gnu.org have a more recent
post-1.0.1 installer image to try?

Regards,
Florian

* Re: GuixSD doesn't boot on UEFI
@ 2019-07-28 11:45           ` lukasbf
From: lukasbf @ 2019-07-28 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz); +Cc: Help Guix

Sorry, I am annoyed by Guix now... I rather use Nix

Jul 28, 2019, 1:13 PM by pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de:

@ 2019-07-28 14:39           ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-07-28 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lukasbf, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz); +Cc: Help Guix

Yeah, this happens. I thank occasion I can use Guix on my Lenovo G50-30!
I plan to buy new notebook and hope Guix will play there normally. If not, I will use Trisquel. I like Guix and Trisquel, for they use free software.