all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Where is mysql/administration command?
@ 2019-02-18  1:00 Yoshinori Arai
From: Yoshinori Arai @ 2019-02-18  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I'm developping my site with httpd, php and mysql.
In my forerign distoro which is LFS, it is easy to setup the
development environment with XAMPP.

I have done system reconfigure to add httpd, mysql service to try to
setup same environment in GuixSD.

Mysql control commands is not in system profile but I can find these
commands in
/gnu/store/ni9waj5cyl94akwmzbrynfscy4k2igw7-mariadb-10.1.37/bin.

Is it correct way?
Why is not mysql commands in system profile?

Thank you.

* Re: Where is mysql/administration command?
@ 2019-02-18  1:11 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-02-18  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoshinori Arai; +Cc: help-guix

Hullo,

Yoshinori Arai wrote:
> I have done system reconfigure to add httpd, mysql service to
> try to
> setup same environment in GuixSD.

[…]

> Why is not mysql commands in system profile?

Your operating-system's ‘packages’ field is probably missing
‘mariadb’.  Services don't install packages to your system
profile.

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: Where is mysql/administration command?
@ 2019-02-18  3:05   ` Yoshinori Arai
From: Yoshinori Arai @ 2019-02-18  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 02:11:28AM +0100, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> Hullo,
>
> Yoshinori Arai wrote:
> > I have done system reconfigure to add httpd, mysql service to try to
> > setup same environment in GuixSD.
>
> […]
>
> > Why is not mysql commands in system profile?
>
> Your operating-system's ‘packages’ field is probably missing ‘mariadb’.
> Services don't install packages to your system profile.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> T G-R

Hello,

Thank you for your rapid reply.

Is to use mysql needed both of mariaDB service and mysql service?
But I think the definition of mariaDB service is missing.
Do you mean to need mariaDB package or mysql package in system
configuration?

@ 2019-02-18  4:23     ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-02-18  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoshinori Arai; +Cc: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix

Hello! Your nice question is quite reasonable.

To use mysql/administration commands on GuixSD need to have both:
mysql service
mysql package
When you've reconfigured  your system adding mysql service to your config file you can either install mysql for root user with `# guix package -i mysql` or add mysql package system-wide (for all users) in '(packages ...)' section in your system config.

The same for postgresql. I used it the same way.

Hope you enjoy GuixSD!

Feb 18, 2019, 3:05 AM by kumagusu08@gmail.com:

@ 2019-02-18  7:17       ` Yoshinori Arai
From: Yoshinori Arai @ 2019-02-18  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix

Hello, I got. Thank you.

@ 2019-02-18 14:41       ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-02-18 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko, Yoshinori Arai; +Cc: help-guix

Hullo,

znavko wrote:
> To use mysql/administration commands on GuixSD need to have
> both:
> mysql service
> mysql package
> When you've reconfigured your system adding mysql service to
> your config file you can either install mysql for root user

Just curious: why for root?  Do you prefer su to sudo, or does it
make a real difference?

> with `# guix package -i mysql` or add mysql package system-wide
> (for all users) in '(packages ...)' section in your system
> config.

Hmm.  It's important to note that Guix's (historically-named)
’mysql-service’ actually uses MariaDB by default:

  ;; From gnu/services/databases.scm:
  (define-record-type* <mysql-configuration>
    mysql-configuration make-mysql-configuration
    mysql-configuration?
    (mysql mysql-configuration-mysql (default mariadb))
    (port mysql-configuration-port (default 3306)))

However, the ‘mysql’ package *is* actually MySQL, not MariaDB.

I don't know how compatible the two projects still are, but it's
probably much safer to install ‘mariadb’ instead.

  $ guix package -i mariadb

> Hope you enjoy GuixSD!

+1000!

(Though s/SD/ System ;-)

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: Where is mysql/administration command?
@ 2019-02-18 19:16         ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-02-18 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

Hello, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice!
I use su, just for own commodity. The difference for me is that su does not need to type 'sudo' every time.

Some howtos mention meariadb package, the others type mysql.
What is the difference between mariadb and mysql?

Feb 18, 2019, 2:41 PM by somebody@not-sent-or-endorsed-by.tobias.gr:

@ 2019-02-18 20:47           ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-02-18 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix

Hullo, znavko!

znavko wrote:
> I use su, just for own commodity. The difference for me is that
> su does not need to type 'sudo' every time.

OK, thanks!  I thought that perhaps mysql/mariadb was picky about
how they were run.

> Some howtos mention meariadb package, the others type mysql.
> What is the difference between mariadb and mysql?

Guix ships both, but prefers ‘mariadb’.  I use PostgreSQL, so I'm
no expert here, but IIRC MariaDB was forked from MySQL when the
latter was taken over by Oracle.

MariaDB claims[1] to be compatible with MySQL, whatever that
means, but they also have things like their own storage engine
with claimed advantages[2] over MyISAM so they're going their own
way as well.

I don't see the point of using ‘mysql’ tools to administrate a
‘mariadb’ back-end.  It seems like a huge risk with no benefits.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from my GNU Emacs

[1]: