all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Failed to build in QA
@ 2023-10-05  7:43 reza.housseini
From: reza.housseini @ 2023-10-05  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi list

I submitted an issue to guix. But QA refuses to build it [1]. I have no clue what the problem is, can anyone shed light on a possible resolution?

Best,
Reza

[1] https://data.qa.guix.gnu.org/job/49591#bottom
-- Sent from /e/ Mail.

* Re: Failed to build in QA
@ 2023-10-05  8:49 ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2023-10-05  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reza.housseini@gmail.com; +Cc: guix-devel

"reza.housseini@gmail.com" <reza.housseini@gmail.com> writes:

> I submitted an issue to guix. But QA refuses to build it [1]. I have
> no clue what the problem is, can anyone shed light on a possible
> resolution?

You pretty much found the problem, the relevant line on the page you
linked to is:

So the data service wasn't able to build Guix. This probably isn't due
to your changes, and it doesn't happen very often, so the thing to do
here is just retry.

I've triggered QA to reapply the patches now (by deleting the
issue-66262 branch), so hopefully things will work better this time.

Thanks,

Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Failed to build in QA
@ 2023-10-05 10:59   ` Nguyễn Gia Phong via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Nguyễn Gia Phong via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2023-10-05 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines, reza.housseini@gmail.com; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2023-10-05 at 09:49+01:00, Christopher Baines wrote:
> I've triggered QA to reapply the patches now (by deleting the
> issue-66262 branch), so hopefully things will work better this time.

Could you try the same for https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/64222?
It's stuck at unknown and that's why everyone ghosted it
despite me pinging on IRC every other week in the last few months.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Failed to build in QA
@ 2023-10-06  5:49   ` reza.housseini
From: reza.housseini @ 2023-10-06  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel

On October 5, 2023 10:49:06 AM GMT+02:00, Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> wrote:

>"reza.housseini@gmail.com" <reza.housseini@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I submitted an issue to guix. But QA refuses to build it [1]. I have
>> no clue what the problem is, can anyone shed light on a possible
>> resolution?
>
>You pretty much found the problem, the relevant line on the page you
>linked to is:

>So the data service wasn't able to build Guix. This probably isn't due
>to your changes, and it doesn't happen very often, so the thing to do
>here is just retry.
>
>I've triggered QA to reapply the patches now (by deleting the
>issue-66262 branch), so hopefully things will work better this time.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris

Thanks very much, it seems to have worked, but now it's stuck with paraview undefined symbol, although the necessary module (gnu/packages/image-processing) is imported?
-- Sent from /e/ Mail.

* [bug#66262] Failed to build in QA
@ 2023-10-06 12:14     ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2023-10-06 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reza.housseini@gmail.com; +Cc: guix-devel, 66262

"reza.housseini@gmail.com" <reza.housseini@gmail.com> writes:

> On October 5, 2023 10:49:06 AM GMT+02:00, Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> wrote:
>>
>>"reza.housseini@gmail.com" <reza.housseini@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I submitted an issue to guix. But QA refuses to build it [1]. I have
>>> no clue what the problem is, can anyone shed light on a possible
>>> resolution?
>>
>>You pretty much found the problem, the relevant line on the page you
>>linked to is:

>>So the data service wasn't able to build Guix. This probably isn't due
>>to your changes, and it doesn't happen very often, so the thing to do
>>here is just retry.
>>
>>I've triggered QA to reapply the patches now (by deleting the
>>issue-66262 branch), so hopefully things will work better this time.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Chris
>
> Thanks very much, it seems to have worked, but now it's stuck with
> paraview undefined symbol, although the necessary module
> (gnu/packages/image-processing) is imported?

This is probably down to a top level circular dependency. In particular,
trying to paraview to compute the version to form part of the
native-search-path at the top level causes problems.

Making openfoam have LD_LIBRARY_PATH as a search path seems like the
incorrect use of search paths though, since you're searching for
something in the same package. Replacing this with wrapping would be an
improvement, although still I'm unsure why LD_LIBRARY_PATH would need
setting in this case.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Failed to build in QA
@ 2023-10-09 12:40         ` Reza Housseini
From: Reza Housseini @ 2023-10-09 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel, 66262

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 702 bytes --]

> This is probably down to a top level circular dependency. In particular,
> trying to paraview to compute the version to form part of the
> native-search-path at the top level causes problems.

I'm wondering why it builds fine locally but causes problems in QA have
you any pointers what might be the difference?

> Making openfoam have LD_LIBRARY_PATH as a search path seems like the
> incorrect use of search paths though, since you're searching for
> something in the same package. Replacing this with wrapping would be an
> improvement, although still I'm unsure why LD_LIBRARY_PATH would need
> setting in this case
Hmm maybe you are right, will try to wrap the binaries instead...

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

From: Reza Housseini @ 2023-10-09 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel, 66262

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 702 bytes --]

> This is probably down to a top level circular dependency. In particular,
> trying to paraview to compute the version to form part of the
> native-search-path at the top level causes problems.

I'm wondering why it builds fine locally but causes problems in QA have
you any pointers what might be the difference?

> Making openfoam have LD_LIBRARY_PATH as a search path seems like the
> incorrect use of search paths though, since you're searching for
> something in the same package. Replacing this with wrapping would be an
> improvement, although still I'm unsure why LD_LIBRARY_PATH would need
> setting in this case
Hmm maybe you are right, will try to wrap the binaries instead...

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: Failed to build in QA
  (?)
@ 2023-10-10 17:09         ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2023-10-10 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Housseini; +Cc: guix-devel, 66262

Reza Housseini <reza.housseini@gmail.com> writes:

>> This is probably down to a top level circular dependency. In particular,
>> trying to paraview to compute the version to form part of the
>> native-search-path at the top level causes problems.
>
> I'm wondering why it builds fine locally but causes problems in QA
> have you any pointers what might be the difference?

You should be able to reproduce this locally, I see the issue when
running make.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Failed to build in QA
@ 2023-10-20  7:57           ` reza.housseini
From: reza.housseini @ 2023-10-20  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel, 66262

On October 9, 2023 12:40:40 PM UTC, Reza Housseini <reza.housseini@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is probably down to a top level circular dependency. In particular,
>> trying to paraview to compute the version to form part of the
>> native-search-path at the top level causes problems.
>
>I'm wondering why it builds fine locally but causes problems in QA have you any pointers what might be the difference?
>
>> Making openfoam have LD_LIBRARY_PATH as a search path seems like the
>> incorrect use of search paths though, since you're searching for
>> something in the same package. Replacing this with wrapping would be an
>> improvement, although still I'm unsure why LD_LIBRARY_PATH would need
>> setting in this case
>Hmm maybe you are right, will try to wrap the binaries instead...

I removed the search-path but it still fails to build, I cannot make sense of the error message...

From: reza.housseini @ 2023-10-20  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel, 66262

@ 2023-11-29 14:49             ` Reza Housseini
From: Reza Housseini @ 2023-11-29 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel, 66262

Hi Christopher

I submitted a new revision to the issue, but the QA link shows

Issue not found
This could mean the issue does not exist, it has no patches or has been
closed.

do you know what the problem is here?

Thanks for your help,
Best,
Reza

From: Reza Housseini @ 2023-11-29 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel, 66262

@ 2023-11-29 16:06             ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2023-11-29 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Housseini; +Cc: guix-devel, 66262

Reza Housseini <reza.housseini@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Christopher
>
> I submitted a new revision to the issue, but the QA link shows
>
> Issue not found
> This could mean the issue does not exist, it has no patches or has
> been closed.
>
> do you know what the problem is here?

There's two issues, one is the machine running Patchwork is low on disk
space, and that keeps stopping new messages being processed. I've
resolved that for now.

The other issue with the v4 series is that Patchwork has got confused
and only picked out the first of the v4 patches. The threading also
looks weird to me in my email client, but I'm not quite sure why. How
did you send the v4 patches?

Thanks,

Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Failed to build in QA
@ 2023-11-29 16:35               ` reza.housseini
From: reza.housseini @ 2023-11-29 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel, 66262

>There's two issues, one is the machine running Patchwork is low on disk
>space, and that keeps stopping new messages being processed. I've
>resolved that for now.

Thanks!

>The other issue with the v4 series is that Patchwork has got confused
>and only picked out the first of the v4 patches. The threading also
>looks weird to me in my email client, but I'm not quite sure why. How
>did you send the v4 patches?

I sent them with git send-mail but I also noticed that the order got mixed up in issues.guix.gnu.org, no idea how this happened...

* Re: Failed to build in QA
@ 2023-11-29 19:54                 ` Attila Lendvai
       [not found]                   ` <297eed25-b272-7445-5f4b-27a2a0b5deab@housseini.me>
From: Attila Lendvai @ 2023-11-29 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reza.housseini@gmail.com; +Cc: Christopher Baines, guix-devel, 66262

> > The other issue with the v4 series is that Patchwork has got confused
> > and only picked out the first of the v4 patches. The threading also
> > looks weird to me in my email client, but I'm not quite sure why. How
> > did you send the v4 patches?
>

> I sent them with git send-mail but I also noticed that the order got
> mixed up in issues.guix.gnu.org, no idea how this happened...

i also see this every once in a while. i guess it's because the SMTP server-farm receives mutliple emails in close proximity, and they end up reaching debbugs in a different order.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39

@ 2023-11-29 20:11                     ` reza via Guix-patches via
       [not found]                       ` <fe1cd8a5-afc2-80f3-9917-37cd57625de1@housseini.me>
From: reza via Guix-patches via @ 2023-11-29 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 66262

> i also see this every once in a while. i guess it's because the SMTP server-farm receives mutliple emails in close proximity, and they end up reaching debbugs in a different order.

What is the way to go here, shall I just resubmit?

@ 2023-11-30  9:07                         ` reza via Guix-patches via
From: reza via Guix-patches via @ 2023-11-30  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 66262

On 11/29/23 21:11, reza via Guix-patches via wrote:
>> i also see this every once in a while. i guess it's because the SMTP server-farm receives mutliple emails in close proximity, and they end up reaching debbugs in a different order.
>
> What is the way to go here, shall I just resubmit?

I submitted them now (twice). The first attempt ended the same as the
former and the second time I waited until the mail appeared in the issue
tracker, a rather slow and inefficient way to submit patches.

What I do not understand is why the list seems to receive the mails in
order, but then issues.guix.gnu.org mangles them somehow. Is this a bug?

I now also have a new error for QA:

An error occurred
Sorry about that!

json-invalid
#<input:delimited input port 7f52a7ff97c0>

I have the impression I now cycled through all possible pitfalls...