all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* MATE on gdm
       [not found] <CAOYpmvpCcd8Esv+kH8d2KJ+KtXW59Hs7gON-X6Z9UXrwaVjFcQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-04-01 12:45 ` Guy fleury
From: Guy fleury @ 2019-04-01 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

hi guix,

i'm trying to build this attached system config with both gnome desktop and
mate desktop(i changed nothing except where are gnome to mate). At the end
I get this error:
To complete the upgrade, run 'herd restart SERVICE' to stop,
upgrade, and restart each service that was not automatically restarted.
shepherd: Evaluating user expression (let* ((services (map primitive-load
(?))) # ?) ?).
guix system: error: exception caught while executing 'start' on service
'user-homes':
Throw to key `match-error' with args `("match" "no matching pattern"
"#<<user-account> name: \"root\" password: \"\" uid: 0 group: \"root\"
supplementary-groups: () comment: \"System administrator\" home-directory:
#<procedure home-directory (x)> create-home-directory?: #t shell:
\"/gnu/store/qn1ax1fkj16x280m1rv7mcimfmn9l2pf-bash-4.4.23/bin/bash\"
system?: #f>")'.
bootloader successfully installed on '/dev/sda'
but i continue with "guix system reconfigure"
gnome boot without problem but for  mate  when i try to enter password in
the gdm interface i redirected to this interface(see attached picture) i
can't then do anything (keyboard doesn't listen).

the reason i attempt to build both gnome and mate is that i have finished
to update mate  desktop to 1.22 and i was thinking that it is a bug due to
my change so i used the version 1.8 wich is the current
and i get the same result .

i think that:
* my config is wrong see above error(but gnome work).
* or the recent use of gdm doesn't yet be tested for mate(someone to test?)

sorry for my bad English!

Please help!

[-- Attachment #2: config.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 1433 bytes --]

;; This is an operating system configuration template
(use-modules (gnu)
	     (gnu system nss))
(use-service-modules desktop)
(use-package-modules certs mate)

(operating-system
  (host-name "guixSd")
  (timezone "Europe/Paris")
  (locale "fr_FR.utf8")

  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-bootloader)
                (target "/dev/sda")))

  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device (file-system-label "my-root"))
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4"))
                      %base-file-systems))

  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "guy")
                (comment "brother")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/guy"))
               %base-user-accounts))

  ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
  (packages (cons* nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
                   ;gvfs              ;for user mounts
                   %base-packages))

  (services (cons*
                    (service mate-desktop-service-type)
                   ;(service account-service-type)
                   %desktop-services))

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

[-- Attachment #3: CAM04643.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 1034240 bytes --]

* Re: MATE on gdm
@ 2019-04-01 20:15   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-04-01 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy fleury; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Guy,

(Note that you can get answers in a number of different languages on
this list: <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/contact/>.  Do not
hesitate to ask questions in your native language!)

Guy fleury <hoonandon@gmail.com> skribis:

> i'm trying to build this attached system config with both gnome desktop and mate desktop(i changed nothing except where are gnome to mate). At the end I get this error:
> To complete the upgrade, run 'herd restart SERVICE' to stop,
> upgrade, and restart each service that was not automatically restarted.
> shepherd: Evaluating user expression (let* ((services (map primitive-load (?))) # ?) ?).
> guix system: error: exception caught while executing 'start' on service 'user-homes':
> Throw to key `match-error' with args `("match" "no matching pattern" "#<<user-account> name: \"root\" password: \"\" uid: 0 group: \"root\" supplementary-groups: () comment: \"System administrator\"
> home-directory: #<procedure home-directory (x)> create-home-directory?: #t shell: \"/gnu/store/qn1ax1fkj16x280m1rv7mcimfmn9l2pf-bash-4.4.23/bin/bash\" system?: #f>")'.
> bootloader successfully installed on '/dev/sda'
> but i continue with "guix system reconfigure"

Yes, there error above is harmless; it occurs when upgrading from a
relatively old Guix.

> * or the recent use of gdm doesn't yet be tested for mate(someone to test?)

I don’t think we explicitly tested GDM with MATE, but it should work.
What problems did you have with MATE specifically?

Note that it’s usually easier to test these things in a VM, with ‘guix
system vm’.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: MATE on gdm
@ 2019-04-01 20:39     ` Guy fleury
From: Guy fleury @ 2019-04-01 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Ludo,

Ok Je vais repondre en français.
Comme je l'ai dit plus haut lorsque je suis dans l'interface de gdm je
click donc mon compte pour entrer mon mot de passe et je suis rediriger sur
cette page(voir la photo attacher).

J'ai testé gnome ça marche très bien.

J'ai un mini laptop acer aspireone la machine virtuelle est trop
lent.j'utilise donc guix system reconfigure.

Dit moi si vous voyer bien la photo.
Merci.
Le 1 avr. 2019 22:15, "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org> a écrit :

> Hello Guy,
>
> (Note that you can get answers in a number of different languages on
> this list: <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/contact/>.  Do not
> hesitate to ask questions in your native language!)
>
> Guy fleury <hoonandon@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > i'm trying to build this attached system config with both gnome desktop
> and mate desktop(i changed nothing except where are gnome to mate). At the
> end I get this error:
> > To complete the upgrade, run 'herd restart SERVICE' to stop,
> > upgrade, and restart each service that was not automatically restarted.
> > shepherd: Evaluating user expression (let* ((services (map
> primitive-load (?))) # ?) ?).
> > guix system: error: exception caught while executing 'start' on service
> 'user-homes':
> > Throw to key `match-error' with args `("match" "no matching pattern"
> "#<<user-account> name: \"root\" password: \"\" uid: 0 group: \"root\"
> supplementary-groups: () comment: \"System administrator\"
> > home-directory: #<procedure home-directory (x)> create-home-directory?:
> #t shell: \"/gnu/store/qn1ax1fkj16x280m1rv7mcimfmn9l2pf-bash-4.4.23/bin/bash\"
> system?: #f>")'.
> > bootloader successfully installed on '/dev/sda'
> > but i continue with "guix system reconfigure"
>
> Yes, there error above is harmless; it occurs when upgrading from a
> relatively old Guix.
>
> > * or the recent use of gdm doesn't yet be tested for mate(someone to
> test?)
>
> I don’t think we explicitly tested GDM with MATE, but it should work.
> What problems did you have with MATE specifically?
>
> Note that it’s usually easier to test these things in a VM, with ‘guix
> system vm’.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: CAM04643.jpg --]

@ 2019-04-03 16:27       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-04-03 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy fleury; +Cc: help-guix

Bonjour Guy,

Guy fleury <hoonandon@gmail.com> skribis:

> Comme je l'ai dit plus haut lorsque je suis dans l'interface de gdm je
> click donc mon compte pour entrer mon mot de passe et je suis rediriger sur
> cette page(voir la photo attacher).
>
> J'ai testé gnome ça marche très bien.

Donc tu arrives à te connecter quand tu choisis GNOME, mais pas quand tu
choisis MATE, c’est ça ?

La capture d’écran montre :

  Authentication is needed to run
  /gnu/store/…-xf86-video-intel…/libexec/xf86-video-intel-backlight-helper
  as the super user

et ensuite demande un mot de passe.

J’ai poussé un correctif à l’instant (commit
bfac63667552898b32821c0f0fae1256f5bcab0c).  Avant ça GDM était incapable
de lancer MATE (j’ai testé dans une MV).  Ça n’a pas l’air d’être lié au
problème que tu décris, mais peut-être peux tu reconfigurer et essayer ?

À+,
Ludo’.

* Re: MATE on gdm
@ 2019-04-03 19:16         ` Guy fleury