all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Vicente Eduardo <vic798@gmail.com>
To: "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>, "Brett Gilio" <brettg@gnu.org>,
	guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [Proposal] The Formal Methods in GNU Guix Working Group
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 12:28:09 +0100	[thread overview]

I'm interested on this topic and I will try to help as much as I can.

The original idea of Brett is very interesting. In my case I would do the
base compiler implemented in C and using yacc (for example) to implement
the grammar. But it won't make sense in a community like Guix where most
people know Scheme rather than C/C++. So it may make sense to write a small
C compiler for Scheme and then write the ML bootstrap compiler in Scheme,
similar to what Guix does to bootstrap itself with nyacc.

This will solve more problems than Guix itself, because it seems this
bootstrapping problem comes historically from the very first
implementations of ML.

As we talked yesterday with Brett via chat, PolyML is the only one that has
been packaged in Guix but it is very tricky, because they have on the repo
the binaries to boostrap itself.

Writting a Scheme compiler should be easy, if we don't care about
optimization techniques. It doesn't need that requirements. But if you need
any help in the low level area, I can help you guys.

Vicente.