all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Trouble with 'guix download'
@ 2017-12-03 23:58 Luther Thompson
From: Luther Thompson @ 2017-12-03 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I'd like to install Python 3.6.3 with Guix, but Guix only has a package
for 3.5.3. I'm trying to see if I can write my own package definition.
I'm currently stuck trying to use 'guix download'. This is what I get:

$ guix download https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/Python-3.6.3.tar.xz

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.E66CkS
From https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/Python-3.6.3.tar.xz...
ERROR: Wrong type to apply: #<syntax-transformer uri?>
failed to download "/tmp/guix-file.E66CkS" from "https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/Python-3.6.3.tar.xz"
guix download: error: https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/Python-3.6.3.tar.xz: download failed

I'm not sure what to do next.

I have a broader question: I don't know if Guix is designed to make it
easy for users to have their own personal package definitions. Would it
be simpler for me to change the package in the Guix codebase and do a
pull request than to write my own package?

Luther

* Re: Trouble with 'guix download'
@ 2017-12-04 10:36 ` Ludovic Courtès
       [not found]   ` <1512388454.2110.4.camel@pentos>
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-12-04 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luther Thompson; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Luther Thompson <lutheroto@gmail.com> skribis:

> I'd like to install Python 3.6.3 with Guix, but Guix only has a package
> for 3.5.3. I'm trying to see if I can write my own package definition.
> I'm currently stuck trying to use 'guix download'. This is what I get:
>
> $ guix download https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/Python-3.6.3.tar.xz
>
> Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.E66CkS
> From https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/Python-3.6.3.tar.xz...
> ERROR: Wrong type to apply: #<syntax-transformer uri?>

This looks like a miscompilation issue.

Did you build Guix from source from a Git checkout, or did you install
the binary tarball and run ‘guix pull’?

> I have a broader question: I don't know if Guix is designed to make it
> easy for users to have their own personal package definitions.

It is.  Currently this is done by setting the ‘GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH’
variable to point to your personal package definitions:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Package-Modules.html#index-GUIX_005fPACKAGE_005fPATH

> Would it be simpler for me to change the package in the Guix codebase
> and do a pull request than to write my own package?

We encourage you to submit general-purpose package
modifications/additions into Guix proper, of course.  To do that, it’s
probably better to have a Git checkout and make your changes in the Guix
codebase:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Contributing.html

HTH!

Ludo’.

@ 2017-12-04 19:15     ` Luther Thompson
From: Luther Thompson @ 2017-12-04 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

On Mon, 2017-12-04 at 11:36 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Luther Thompson <lutheroto@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > I'd like to install Python 3.6.3 with Guix, but Guix only has a package
> > for 3.5.3. I'm trying to see if I can write my own package definition.
> > I'm currently stuck trying to use 'guix download'. This is what I get:
> >
> > $ guix download https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/Python-3.6.3.tar.xz
> >
> > Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.E66CkS
> > From https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/Python-3.6.3.tar.xz...
> > ERROR: Wrong type to apply: #<syntax-transformer uri?>
>
> This looks like a miscompilation issue.
>
> Did you build Guix from source from a Git checkout, or did you install
> the binary tarball and run ‘guix pull’?

I installed the binary tarball. I've been running 'guix pull' almost
every day for the last week or two.

> We encourage you to submit general-purpose package
> modifications/additions into Guix proper, of course.  To do that, it’s
> probably better to have a Git checkout and make your changes in the Guix
> codebase:
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Contributing.html

Thanks. I know some Scheme, but the Guix API still looks a bit daunting
right now. I'll see what I can do.

@ 2017-12-08 10:33       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-12-08 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luther Thompson; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Luther,

Luther Thompson <lutheroto@gmail.com> skribis:

> On Mon, 2017-12-04 at 11:36 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Luther Thompson <lutheroto@gmail.com> skribis:
>>
>> > I'd like to install Python 3.6.3 with Guix, but Guix only has a package
>> > for 3.5.3. I'm trying to see if I can write my own package definition.
>> > I'm currently stuck trying to use 'guix download'. This is what I get:
>> >
>> > $ guix download https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/Python-3.6.3.tar.xz
>> >
>> > Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.E66CkS
>> > From https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/Python-3.6.3.tar.xz...
>> > ERROR: Wrong type to apply: #<syntax-transformer uri?>
>>
>> This looks like a miscompilation issue.
>>
>> Did you build Guix from source from a Git checkout, or did you install
>> the binary tarball and run ‘guix pull’?
>
> I installed the binary tarball. I've been running 'guix pull' almost
> every day for the last week or two.

Somebody else reported the same issue and it should be fixed now:

  https://bugs.gnu.org/29570

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Trouble with 'guix download'
@ 2017-12-09  4:15         ` Luther Thompson
From: Luther Thompson @ 2017-12-09  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

On 12/8/17, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Luther,
> Somebody else reported the same issue and it should be fixed now:
>
>   https://bugs.gnu.org/29570

That fixed it. It downloaded fine today. Thanks!

--
Luther Thompson